UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> (OG100K) C# Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners

2/14/13 11:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MrWillyWonka
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome response. I will do that for sure. Thank you again!
2/15/13 2:02 PM
ruckazz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theseanster - 
B17 - 

wow, learning to program in VI???

no thanks man

had to use it in my linux class sometimes

i preferred to use nano when i could

Yeah dude it sucked balls. The only thing worse than that was the ROSCOE editor on the mainframe for COBOL. That made me want to pour gasoline and set myself on fire. I will curl up into the fetal position and cry like a bitch if I even see a piece of greenbar paper. At least in VI  I was doing C, but fuck that editor too, or emacs   *shudder *

I've been spoiled in Visual Studio for so long I can barely tolerate anything else haha

been lurking the thread, nice work man..

i get the same feeling thinking about ROSCOE + COBOL + greenbar paper..

when i started my degree 16 some years ago, i detested anything MS, always pictured myself writing perl or c in vi.. first job out was vb6 (only temporarily 'cause i was gonna be a c developer on an *nix platform).. ffwd 12 years, still in the MS world.. cant believe the amount of time VS saves you..

though i'm in the banking industry, i keep the gas can handy because copybooks, cobol and jcl always seem to be present..

guys learning this need to know their shit, dont put anything on your resume that your not able to speak about intimately.. it kills me when someone has "Expert C# / .NET Framework" in their skills and can't explain what's unique about .net strings.. or what generics are..

i dont even want to get started on "Expert SQL Server / TSQL"..

good service you're doing here man..
2/15/13 8:46 PM
theseanster
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I <3 my Working Storage Section. :) Phone Post
2/15/13 8:47 PM
theseanster
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theseanster - I <3 my Working Storage Section. :) Phone Post
Ok...can't post angle brackets apparently from ipad Phone Post
3/17/13 6:28 PM
QtChristian
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone have a way I can contact Sean? Besides the Ogdeveloper email? My emails aren't sending for some reason and I cant PM him on here. (Hopefully he sees this)
3/17/13 8:27 PM
QtChristian
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B17 - 

Do you have a question?

I'm just trying to contact him. He sent me a email saying he was banned from this website. I tried to email him back but I keep getting error msgs. I can email other people so I don't know whats going on. :/
6/10/13 7:34 PM
Jons Forsberg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/10/13 7:34 PM
keep this good thread alive, I'm currently out of time for this, but soon hopefully.
6/10/13 8:02 PM
unique_devil
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm currently an IT student and this has given me a bit of a head start, I've loved it. Lots of great info here. Phone Post
6/27/13 9:31 PM
reagan123
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone still trekking along?
6/28/13 8:20 AM
Tom O'Bedlam
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B17 - 

I hit part two and was lost.  Those vids were ok but I dont think I learned much from them.  Part two material was too confusing.

Im trying to learn the basics through Python now.

I switched to AutoCAD. I just couldn't get interested in programming.

I found another cool online resource though- Khan Academy.

It's essentially free online schooling for Math, from Algebra to Calculus, as well as quite a few other subjects.

So far I've found it engaging and effective.

KhanAcademy.org
7/8/13 11:38 AM
theseanster

So I'm not really sure what happened to my account, but I was locked out of some threads, couldn't accept more friend requests, etc. Turns out I was turned gray and lost mod status. Anyway, I'm no longer a mod but I have a blue for a while so let's get rockin. 

Not sure who was having email problems but I don't see anything unread in my inbox.  :-/

You can PM me here or email as always, or better yet just post on a thread. I'd like to keep questions open to the public so everyone can learn.

Let me know where you're at and I'll start working some thread content now that I can post HTML again.

7/8/13 11:39 AM
theseanster

Tom O'Bedlam - 
B17 - 

I hit part two and was lost.  Those vids were ok but I dont think I learned much from them.  Part two material was too confusing.

Im trying to learn the basics through Python now.

I switched to AutoCAD. I just couldn't get interested in programming.

I found another cool online resource though- Khan Academy.

It's essentially free online schooling for Math, from Algebra to Calculus, as well as quite a few other subjects.

So far I've found it engaging and effective.

KhanAcademy.org

Khan is a fantastic site. I used it about a year ago to re-learn rise/run equations lol

7/8/13 12:51 PM
whatever you like
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 11:01 PM
redwhiteandblues
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

up
7/27/13 8:19 AM
armbarring
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sup
9/4/13 5:27 PM
jonesm
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/2/13 3:31 PM
Jons Forsberg

do you see immigration reform impacting the contractor market blady? The Senate bill includes 100Ks of visas for IT. Zuckerberg was pushing for it.
10/2/13 10:31 PM
theseanster

Jons Forsberg - do you see immigration reform impacting the contractor market blady? The Senate bill includes 100Ks of visas for IT. Zuckerberg was pushing for it.
Nope. Still too many jobs not enough people. Not sure why people think imported Indians and Chinese benefit anything, I make more cleaning up their mess than I do working with them Phone Post 3.0
10/15/13 10:08 PM
redwhiteandblues
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

back up!
11/3/13 10:17 PM
Jons Forsberg

theseanster - 
Jons Forsberg - do you see immigration reform impacting the contractor market blady? The Senate bill includes 100Ks of visas for IT. Zuckerberg was pushing for it.
Nope. Still too many jobs not enough people. Not sure why people think imported Indians and Chinese benefit anything, I make more cleaning up their mess than I do working with them Phone Post 3.0

thanks for answering theseanster and ttt to keep this good thread alive.
11/4/13 9:49 AM
theseanster

Google "Robert half 2014 salary guide" - C# and Java at the top, PHP also doing very well. Web developers in general making bank. JavaScript and SQL added is even more.

And...there's a shortage. check out code.com Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 9:51 AM
theseanster

Sorry, code.org

http://code.org/stats Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 7:36 PM
LittleC
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed.
11/7/13 5:51 AM
JediJitsu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back at it. Just put Linux on my pc and am diving into Python. Phone Post 3.0
12/4/13 1:00 PM
LittleJoeMama
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First of all thanks for creating this thread, I started watching the vids today as well as following along and it's very easy to pick up.

Second, let's say I get a handle on C#, is that enough on it's own to land a decent position or do you need to be proficient with CSS and HTML as well? I know that's a loaded question as the job market varies from location to location but what's your general feeling on this?

I have light HTML experience and could probably pick that back up along with CSS if I need to. I also used to code ABAP in SAP so coding isn't entirely foreign to me.

Thanks again for posting a link to the C# tutorial.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.