UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> (OG100K) C# Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners

12/4/13 1:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
theseanster
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi LJM,

Unfortunately knowing C# alone with CSS and HTML is not enough...but you are damn close.

In my opinion to be available entry level programmer you would also need some SQL basics, ASP. NET fundamentals, and JavaScript (and jQuery).

That's the direction I'm taking the forum. The first thing is to get a solid grasp of C# then we will move into web programming with C# (asp.net) Phone Post 3.0
12/4/13 1:58 PM
LittleJoeMama
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff brother. Will VU once I recharge.
12/5/13 10:36 AM
LittleJoeMama
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sean - I cruised through 12 lessons and am soaking it up like a sponge. I did some HTML, Javascript and Java programming when I was an analyst about 12 years ago, but only for about a month so I didn't really get into it too much. Then I was rolled to an SAP project where I coded in ABAP (similar to SQL).

My IT career has been all over the place and currently I am with a small company as a Director but it's turned into more of an IT Generalist position with a ton of multi tasking. I'd like to get away from that and be able to focus on one skill set.

Once again thanks, the training series is well thought out and easy to follow.
12/5/13 1:57 PM
theseanster
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool man, when you feel ready to code. Try something like this:

Create a console app that asks the user for a number or ENTER to calculate. Display the average and sum and count of all of the values.

Try entering in invalid text values instead of numbers. Provide validation error messages if they mess up. What happens if they don't enter any numbers? Check for divide by zero. Etc

When finished send me the code to review Phone Post 3.0
12/8/13 11:10 PM
Frog-Jitsu
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

such an awesome thread :)
12/10/13 9:41 AM
latmmrh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for this. Working through the videos, 12 more to go
12/10/13 10:30 AM
theseanster

Make sure you guys write the code in the vids. Vids are good, nothing replaces coding itself Phone Post 3.0
12/11/13 3:33 PM
Frog-Jitsu
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theseanster - should I just go back to school and get a CS degree? Will that increase my earning potential by a great deal?
12/11/13 5:29 PM
theseanster

Not if you already have a related degree. Do you have any degree at all? Phone Post 3.0
12/11/13 9:44 PM
Frog-Jitsu

no degree and no IT related experience. I've been looking around for entry level jobs and it's nearly impossible to get my foot in the door without a degree. been thinking I need to go get a degree to actually start this career.
12/12/13 6:53 AM
latmmrh

Been working as a system admin for the Hyland program OnBase for my work since July with no previous IT experience besides knowing some HTML from high school. No IT degree but a masters in organizational leadership, hoping this will help me get more into this field.
12/12/13 3:43 PM
theseanster

Frog-Jitsu - no degree and no IT related experience. I've been looking around for entry level jobs and it's nearly impossible to get my foot in the door without a degree. been thinking I need to go get a degree to actually start this career.

Then yes, it will help. While you are working on it, make sure you get a part-time job programming. Any programming job. I struck out several times before landing one, best decision I made. Whether or not you graduate you get your foot in the door and have a resume with some acronyms and work experience. From there it snowballs.

12/12/13 3:45 PM
theseanster

latmmrh - Been working as a system admin for the Hyland program OnBase for my work since July with no previous IT experience besides knowing some HTML from high school. No IT degree but a masters in organizational leadership, hoping this will help me get more into this field.

It will. What I would do if I were you is learning how to do some coding, then volunteer to make a utility program, or internal Web application for your department. Could be anything simple and useful. Now it is on your resume and if your boss likes it you build more, then make a transition. I've seen a few people who's careers in software were started this way. Someone needed something, they stepped up and built it.

12/12/13 6:27 PM
Frog-Jitsu

Cool thanks. I just got laid off so I am planning on going back to school. Does it matter where I get my degree from? State vs university? Phone Post 3.0
12/20/13 6:02 PM
theseanster

Frog-Jitsu - Cool thanks. I just got laid off so I am planning on going back to school. Does it matter where I get my degree from? State vs university? Phone Post 3.0

No, IMO it does not matter. Are you doing CS, CIS, MIS, or what?

12/21/13 8:31 AM
armbarring
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just had a dream with my mother tutoring me in COBOL. She keeps lecturing me while I scream "I dont wanna learn COBOL!!!!!" and I jump out a window and run away?
12/21/13 3:15 PM
theseanster

The Working Storage section is coming for you!!! Forget your local variables and prepare Uranus for JCL! Phone Post 3.0
12/25/13 1:54 PM
Frog-Jitsu

theseanster - 
Frog-Jitsu - Cool thanks. I just got laid off so I am planning on going back to school. Does it matter where I get my degree from? State vs university? Phone Post 3.0

CS if I can hack the math. CIS if I can't. So a lower tiered state school is just the same as a higher tiered (although not top 10) university?
12/27/13 1:35 AM
theseanster

Frog-Jitsu - 
theseanster - 

CS if I can hack the math. CIS if I can't. So a lower tiered state school is just the same as a higher tiered (although not top 10) university?

At a certain point in your career WHERE you got your degree won't mean shit. If you want to walk right into Google or Microsoft and interview during school or when you graduate, it probably does. If you do general software development as contract or employee at some company...doesn't matter. In 10 years nobody will ask. In 5 years nobody will ask. That's just been my experience though.

1) Get degree as cheaply as possible

2) Get an internship or part-time programming gig while in school even though the pay will suck

3) Get your foot in the door with #2 listed as experience with some acronyms of things you learned in school

4) Quit after a year or two and get a new job for more money

5) Repeat step 4.

6) Start contracting for 3-6 month gigs each time you get a new gig you will likely get more money until you are capped.

If you are good Java, C# developer that knows databases to go with it, you're looking at $55-$75 bucks per hour at this point. Salary is a different animal but I've turned down full-time jobs for 120K. 120K is not hard to get as a senior developer who knows their shit.

12/28/13 2:57 AM
Frog-Jitsu

^thanks bro. voted up
12/28/13 12:49 PM
theseanster

No problem bud. I'd hate to see you get crushed by student loans especially when the piece of paper really just helps you get the ball rolling in your career. What really makes you in your career is experience at different companies and keeping yourself relevant (if you are naturally curious and a nerd who likes to learn technical stuff this won't be difficult).

1/5/14 12:35 PM
SteveEntriken

Awesome!
1/5/14 12:35 PM
SteveEntriken

Awesome!
1/5/14 8:34 PM
armbarring
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LittleJoeMama - Sean - I cruised through 12 lessons and am soaking it up like a sponge. I did some HTML, Javascript and Java programming when I was an analyst about 12 years ago, but only for about a month so I didn't really get into it too much. Then I was rolled to an SAP project where I coded in ABAP (similar to SQL).

My IT career has been all over the place and currently I am with a small company as a Director but it's turned into more of an IT Generalist position with a ton of multi tasking. I'd like to get away from that and be able to focus on one skill set.

Once again thanks, the training series is well thought out and easy to follow.
How is working with SAP Phone Post 3.0
1/18/14 2:50 AM
Drunkie
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn i didn't even know there was  a forum section about this stuff. great thread

i been wanting to learn to program but really refuse to mess with c# . i want to learn java to make android apps. but i still going to save those links .https://class.coursera.org/gameprogramming-001 i tried to take that class and it just had me so mad i refused to even look at c# again. really crappy class. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.