UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP: #1 P4P is Frankie Edgar not me or Silva

11/12/12 4:15 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and UFC Middleweight Anderson Silva are often credited as being the top two pound for pound fighters in mixed martial arts. However, on the Dan LeBatard Show, GSP said he thinks that honor belongs to Frankie Edgar.

Host: You know Anderson Silva is the fight that everyone wants, is that the fight that you want?

Georges St-Pierre: I want to fight Condit first and then we will see what’s going to happen. I take one fight at a time and we will see. Different weight class and we will see the terms of the fight if it happens. It’s very complicated so right now I’d rather not think about it, just focus on Carlos Condit and then after we will sit down and talk.”

Host: Is there someone who possesses a skill youe would like to have?

GSP: There’s many guys who have skills that are better than mine in different departments but mixed martial arts, that’s the beauty of it, you need to be well-rounded. In terms of pound-for-pound, the best pound-for-pound, I believe it’s Frankie Edgar. That’s what I believe.

Host: Wait, it’s you. It’s you or Silva. Everyone knows that. You’re just being humble

GSP: No I truly believe he’s the best pound-for-pound. He was fighting in a weight class above his and he was the world champion. Even though he lost his two last fights I believe the judges made a mistake. I gave him these two fights. That’s my personal opinion.

Read entire interview...
Listen to entire podcast... (47:30 mark)

11/12/12 4:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PrettyBoy
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is right. Edgar should still be champ at 155. Phone Post
11/12/12 4:45 PM
dogfb
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP has been saying this for a long time. Everyones criteria for P4P rankings is a bit different if you look at it like GSP does Frankie is arguably P4P #1. 

11/12/12 5:12 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah no he is about to be 0-3 in his last 3 fights
11/12/12 5:16 PM
Joe_Drogan420
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is GSP calling out Frankie Edgar instead of Silva?

I'm surprised the UG headline wasn't: "GSP calls out Frankie Edgar for #1 p4p spot."
11/12/12 5:16 PM
KrzyBnzJnz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva would murder most LHW. He could've reigned as a dual-division champ until Jones came along. Phone Post
11/12/12 5:18 PM
TheReflectionOfPerfection

Pancake Syrup - Yeah no he is about to be 0-3 in his last 3 fights
2-1 Phone Post
11/12/12 5:24 PM
6ULDV8
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Class = GSP and vice-versa.  

It's been that way for years.  A lot of years.

Kudos

11/12/12 5:28 PM
tanner904

Frankie is no where near p4p he lost the first penn fight IMO. You live by the scored card you die by it and if you can't finish a guy how can you be the best p4p??? Let me guess gsp top 3 p4p

1. Edgar
2. Fitch
3. Him

He loves seeing what the judges think lol Phone Post
11/12/12 5:34 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol Aldo always gets forgotten Phone Post
11/12/12 5:34 PM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it comes down to GSP respecting Frankie as a person. I really hope GSP feels he is the best p4p fighter. because he has a very legitimate case for it, even if others wont admit it.

if you took him and his current skill set... he has best wrestling in mma, has great top game, rarely gets taken down, but when he does, he ends up on top. he has technical standup. he is one of the fastest in his division. he is the strongest in his division. he has a wealth of experience. he is one of the smartest in mma.

i would match that skillset up with anybody in mma p4p. Aldo being my honorable mention
11/13/12 7:34 AM
NINJAe973

TheReflectionOfPerfection -
Pancake Syrup - Yeah no he is about to be 0-3 in his last 3 fights
2-1 Phone Post
This.. Phone Post
11/13/12 7:43 AM
Entreri

GSP makes a strong case for Frankie.
11/13/12 9:59 AM
ranier wolfcastle
927 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anderson is clearly. undefeated in the ufc, finishes almost everyone, has fought in several weight classes. kos strikers, submits black belts. it cannot be denied.

11/13/12 10:25 AM
Voiceinthedesert

GSP. On strength and diversity in styles of competition
11/13/12 12:14 PM
imesser

Anderson is def #1 P4P fighter! If you dont believe that then you have some issues. haha
11/13/12 1:01 PM
ausgepicht

See...this is what I've been saying. POOR JUDGING in Frankie's fights against Benson. The judges scored swagger and that's how Benson won. GSP knows it and anyone with any knowledge in the sport and ability to see past swagger knows it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.