UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> Advice for first open class comp.

11/12/12 4:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
brixx139
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I entered in my weight class (150 and under, im around 146) and in the open class for fun at an upcoming nogi tourney. Itll be my second comp overall so im just looking to get some advice on open class strategies for a smaller competitor (im pretty lanky too at 5'10). Thanks in advance! VUs for particularly useful advice Phone Post
11/12/12 8:51 PM
leftlegtrumpcard
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SWEEP THE LEG!!!!

just remember to move around ur competitor. Don't move him. Create space and move. Being the lighter man u can try to outpace them, create scramble opportunities and capitalize. Constant hip movement if ur on ur back. HAVE FUN!! Phone Post
11/13/12 11:10 AM
brixx139

leftlegtrumpcard - SWEEP THE LEG!!!!

just remember to move around ur competitor. Don't move him. Create space and move. Being the lighter man u can try to outpace them, create scramble opportunities and capitalize. Constant hip movement if ur on ur back. HAVE FUN!! Phone Post
Great advice! Thanks for the help. How have your experiences in open weight been? Phone Post
11/14/12 5:16 AM
Bjjudo

Be first, that is all

Won 2 open weights at purple + @160 pounds. Use speed and cardio as strengths. Be first and don't stop moving and working for sweeps/subs Phone Post
11/15/12 9:42 PM
KingGo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're going up against a bigger guy, don't default to your back. Keep up pressure and try to stay on top, a lot of bigger guys aren't used to this comin from smaller guys, they think they can use their weight to just lay you to the ground Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.