UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Anyone here a competitive/pro gamer?

11/13/12 12:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trejo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A buddy of mine took me to some event last weekend. They had tournaments for fifa, fighting games like Tekken and street fighter, and FPS games.

Funny how I play at home with friends thinking I'm decent but some of these guys were on another level.

Anyone else consider themselves top tier or played in a gaming tournament before? Phone Post
11/13/12 1:01 AM
Meohfumado
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At work we used to play SCII on all breaks, and before/after work. I trained for that game like an Olympic athlete.

Being a video game company, we thought we were all getting pretty good. Then they brought a tourney champ to work one day to play with us.

After thoroughly humiliating the entire staff, on guy got a couple rounds against him, and was declared the only "tourney-worthy" player on site...but that he "would probably never place in a real tourney though."

Humbling experience.
11/13/12 1:42 AM
Trejo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ages ago before smash bros was released in Australia I managed to get an international copy with a convertor to play it. Had the game way before anyone else. My friends and I played that games like a drug and thought we were boss. Fast forward a year to a smash bros tournament. I enter thinking I will demolish. Didnt even place in the top half. Guys were doing things in that game I never dreamed were possible. Phone Post
11/13/12 1:46 AM
UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I played CoD4 competitively but was never a pro. I was pretty good though to be honest. Phone Post
11/13/12 2:28 AM
VicJenny
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is a different of game, but I would say I am at a pro level of Magic: The Gathering. I don't have the ambition to do the travel for the pro tour, but win more than I lose against name pros on the online version, am ranked top 20 in the world online, and make a little bit of side money from it.
11/13/12 3:51 AM
UGCTT_OBEY
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My cousin was a pro in halo 3
My good friend was pro at halo 3 and reach

I've been to quite a few mlg tournaments with them it's an interesting experience Phone Post
11/13/12 7:53 AM
Eisenberg
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/13/12 7:54 AM
When SC2 came out a friend and I were ranked in the top500 teams worldwide in 2v2 matches. Dont know if that counts. Never went to any tournament, we didnt stick with the game long enough I suppose.

For reference there was about 30k ranked teams back then, if I remmember correctly.
11/13/12 10:53 AM
Big Pun
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm really good amongst my friends. I saw some competitive guys play...not even close to their level. The only game I was good enough to play competitively was Goldeneye. All the rest, not even close to the level of those other guys.
11/13/12 1:14 PM
Edan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Golden Eye 64 was the only game I won against everyone I played with, but I never played against pros Phone Post
11/13/12 2:30 PM
Ceelo
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dont laugh.

WoW/Guitar Hero and Halo I have played in competition

11/13/12 3:11 PM
Wallison
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I played gears of war professionally for a while was ranked top 50 individually online for a few weeks. I also played counter-strike 1.6 and source competitively. Made cal-I on 1.6 and cal-m on source. Currently trying to get a decent team together for cs;go. Phone Post
11/13/12 3:29 PM
David Mortensen
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wallison -  I played gears of war professionally for a while was ranked top 50 individually online for a few weeks. I also played counter-strike 1.6 and source competitively. Made cal-I on 1.6 and cal-m on source. Currently trying to get a decent team together for cs;go. Phone Post

what team/region in 1.6?

i was cal-p (cal-m west champs in like season 5 or 6, also won cal-im and 2nd in cal-o) 

also rang for a cal-i team in scrims

11/13/12 4:07 PM
Wallison
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

David Mortensen -
Wallison -  I played gears of war professionally for a while was ranked top 50 individually online for a few weeks. I also played counter-strike 1.6 and source competitively. Made cal-I on 1.6 and cal-m on source. Currently trying to get a decent team together for cs;go. Phone Post

what team/region in 1.6?

i was cal-p (cal-m west champs in like season 5 or 6, also won cal-im and 2nd in cal-o) 

I played on quite a few different teams. Get 5 was the team I played on the longest and did the best with. We were east if I remember right. Phone Post
11/13/12 6:06 PM
Big Pun
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was in a top ten Everquest guild. Does that count?
11/13/12 7:04 PM
WikiTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was an old school pro and hustled people at the arcade. Fighting and racing games were my bread and butter.

There was one little kid, maybe ten years younger than me, who would show up to the inner city arcades about once a month. Kid would smoke me every time. Other than that, I usually won and made quite a decent amount of money for a teenager playing MK, Tekken, and the like. Oh yeah, and pinball, too.
11/14/12 1:04 PM
le

Wallison -
David Mortensen -

what team/region in 1.6?

I played on quite a few different teams. Get 5 was the team I played on the longest and did the best with. We were east if I remember right. Phone Post
I played in CAL-m. Had the shittiest computer, people always got the jump on me. Always wondered how I'd do if I had a good computer back then.

We lost to compLexity on cs_cbble in their first season of cal-im by just a few rounds. My boy shaggy took it to Warden from Forsaken.

I'll never forget the CS movie "Hard Clan: Die Hard" or some of the tourney videos with Team3D/SK at CPL. Hard to believe how many years it's been. Phone Post
11/14/12 1:09 PM
le

Now that I think about it, I still have my original 4 digit steam id from the night steam was released. Wonder what it would be worth if CS became popular and competitive again. Phone Post
11/14/12 5:30 PM
Bryce14
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was in diamond elo for league of legends and I have done a few solo tournaments where they just randomly match you with other players each game, most people I play with are gold or lower so I end up carrying. I've won about a grand in local tournaments. Phone Post
11/14/12 7:05 PM
GrandInquisitor
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VicJenny - Do you play on the GP circuit? I'm curious as I'm an MtG judge and I was just curious to know if I've seen you before at GP's or other events. What do you play as on MODO?

11/14/12 8:29 PM
omgjoshjames
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VicJenny - It is a different of game, but I would say I am at a pro level of Magic: The Gathering. I don't have the ambition to do the travel for the pro tour, but win more than I lose against name pros on the online version, am ranked top 20 in the world online, and make a little bit of side money from it.
That's awesome bro! I just recently got back into MTG after playing a lot when I was younger. I have a much better understanding of the game and of strategies so I went to a Friday night magic tournament at a local card store. Beat 2 guys before getting hammered. The guy that beat me finished third and was saying he wanted to go pro. Phone Post
11/14/12 11:54 PM
Trejo

FinestScotch - 

I entered EVO this year for Street Fighter 4 AE12.

I would consider myself decent, I do well online, crush everyone I play IRL (low talent pool where I live).

At EVO, I could take a round off a higher-ranked player, but then they would figure me out... I never took two rounds off a pro/very strong player. I feel like I could compete if I had better competition around me to practice with, but I can't. I can say that, especially games like Street Fighter, you really need a strong community... that's why Japan, Europe, east/west coast US scenes are the best... lots of people in a small space, so lots of players to learn from/grow with.

I would say that learning online is a bit easier for FPS games and sports; when you can hear someones controller in fighting games/see a bit in your peripherals, it can cut down a lot of scrubby tactics (spamming shoryukens every time you get up).

Thinking of going to EVO next year. Whats it like?

Only game I play competitvely is Tekken. Been playing since Tekken 5. Entered a bunch of local and interstate tournaments and manage to hold my own. Australia is lucky cause its one of the few countries that still has arcades around so you get a decent amount of competition there as well as on console.

Fighting games like Marvel look too crazy for me to evere contemplate picking up.

11/15/12 12:32 AM
Beggsie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nah I'm shit at games haha. Phone Post
11/19/12 12:18 PM
WallaWalla
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Competitive halo player... Went to MLG Dallas Nov 2nd. To compete in halo 4 early.. Placed tied for 33rd... Lost to teams who had pirated the game to practice early... Competitive gaming is awesome IMO and glad to see esports are getting big... Phone Post
11/19/12 12:22 PM
WallaWalla

BrentP -

*raises hand*

Although we haven't been to an MLG tournament yet because we're just getting into it, we have competed in numerous online tournaments for prices and Microsoft points. It's crazy fun and I hope to coordinate with the guys so we can get in some LAN tournaments.

What game? Phone Post
11/19/12 4:09 PM
Gwhite

Went cal m in cs 1.6 like season 14 I think. Went cal open and cevo free multiple times before that. I know I went cal Im and cevo main somewhere in all that too. Man cs 1.6 was my shit back in the day lol Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.