UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> TME about living without cable TV

11/13/12 9:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Delorian
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi OG, 

I'm sick and tired of paying nearly $200 a month for cable.  I want it out of my life and I want that fucking money to go to something better.  What can I do to remove this leeching piece of materialistic bullshit from my life while still having the power to watch my favorite television shows for free or especially cheap (HBO, Showtime, FUEL, HDNet or whatever the fuck it's called today).

Teach me everything OG, you are my only hope.  

11/13/12 9:09 AM
Drunkie
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sopcast is your friend for many of these issues
11/13/12 9:10 AM
Delorian
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drunkie - sopcast is your friend for many of these issues

That Windows 95 looking program I used to use while in Japan so I could watch PRIDE events?

11/13/12 9:12 AM
Langolier
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got rid of cable and don't miss it. Get Netflix for $7 a month and then use Project free tv for anything not covered on that. Phone Post
11/13/12 9:16 AM
Delorian

Langolier -  I got rid of cable and don't miss it. Get Netflix for $7 a month and then use Project free tv for anything not covered on that. Phone Post

Project Free TV? I like the sound of that! I'll give it a look.  Thank you.  VU (for you and Drunkie)

11/13/12 9:16 AM
Drunkie
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have no clue what you used to use sir. sopcast is a p2p software where people stream all kinda tv programs an movies from around the world

google it you will find there site
11/13/12 9:17 AM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We pulled plug in April. Actually watch more movies and current TV now than before; have NetFlix also. Do it.

11/13/12 9:18 AM
Wovito

get netflix. Do something more productive with your time.
11/13/12 9:21 AM
Langolier
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just google project free tv. Hook laptop up with hdmi cord and boom. Phone Post
TheGilbs
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subd Phone Post
stuvelo
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have netflix and hulu +, i miss a few things like HGTV and food network but its been fine really
11/13/12 9:23 AM
Turdin a Pool

Jailbroken Apple tv......or Boxee....bye bye cable!!!! Phone Post
11/13/12 9:24 AM
In Limbo
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pulled the plug on cable this past sumemr and i fucking love it

mainly use netflix and hulu plus ( we pay for hulu plus and use my bro's netflix...he uses our hulu plus)

luckily my parents have verizon so i can access HBOgo, shotime anytime, and cinemax go on my laptop using their log in info

i dont watch any sports so im not missing out on much....but i am thinking of getting a tv antennae so i can at least see live network tv when needed , since the wife likes award shows and such

will have to look into project free tv

11/13/12 9:25 AM
Delorian

When in doubt, OG it. You guys rule and I thank you already for helping me save money. Phone Post
11/13/12 9:28 AM
JerseyCityMMA

I recently disconnected the cable box from my bedroom and have been using Netflix....I can hoenstly say, I do not need cable tv anymore. Netflix has everything I want, plus no commercials.
11/13/12 9:28 AM
Langolier

Oh yeah for project free tv I recommend using Firefox with Adblock plus installed or you will get raped by pop ups. Phone Post
11/13/12 9:29 AM
cleophus
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for later Phone Post
11/13/12 9:34 AM
jmac2007
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
11/13/12 9:49 AM
WidespreadPanic

I had my Internet rates go up $11/month so I chatted with a Verizon rep. 

I said 'your market is saturated, how about hooking me up for $1 less than your competitor?'. I reminded them that I get 17Mbps for $50 now and they should be willing to meet or beat that since my neighborhood is already FIOS wired.

The moron could not get this into his head and kept trying to tell me he'd give me no monthly contract, free modem but wanted $70 for 15Mbps. I spent 20 min online with him and all he had to do is say 'no, sorry we can't offer lower prices', BUT, I know they can as I've talked to people who got lower rates when threatening to cancel service.

Talk about stupid. If your market is saturated and FIOS is installed already, then EVERY dollar you bring in is profit.

11/13/12 9:56 AM
Lux Fixxins

There's a few really good threads on this. One started by yours truly...

But sure, I'll post my cable free set up....

Phone Post
11/13/12 10:05 AM
aarondramp
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed for set up above. We have been without cable for a year. The toughest part is watching ESPN on an internet stream. But if I can get a decent site and then hook it up to the TV then that could change everything.
11/13/12 10:11 AM
DOODE
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Turdin a Pool -  Jailbroken Apple tv......or Boxee....bye bye cable!!!! Phone Post

Screw Boxee. They dropped support for their first box in order to sell a cheaper box (at Walmart) that requires a monthly subscription.

Check out WDTV, Roku, or a dedicated htpc (home theater pc).

If you go to reddit any they have a coupel fo subs that would be immensely valuable /r/cordcutters, /r/htpc, and /r/roku just to name a few.

Also, check out these links:
http://producerism.com/blog/building-the-perfect-htpc-media-server/
http://lifehacker.com/5475649/set-up-a-fully-automated-media-center
http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-a-silent-standalone-xbmc-media-center-on-the-cheap
http://lifehacker.com/5954417/the-six-biggest-media-center-annoyances-and-how-to-fix-them
http://lifehacker.com/5536963/the-ultimate-start-to-finish-guide-to-your-xbmc-media-center

I personally am in the planning stages of a whole house htpc set-up. Hope to build a media server over Thanksgiving and cut the cord shortly after.

Good luck Broseph and if you find any good info post it here for everyone.
11/13/12 10:13 AM
LVGRAPPLER
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
11/13/12 10:16 AM
Basz

Sub Phone Post
11/13/12 10:22 AM
UGCTT_TrevGore
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread has been backtraced.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.