UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Song of Ice+Fire Fan Theories plead your case here

12/1/12 5:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D3structo
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zenoplata - 

Omg, Mance Rayder looks absolutely nothing like I imagined him.

I envisioned him quite a bit younger, skinnier and with long dark hair.

+1. That's EXACTLY how imagined him too. Something like this:

http://www.collecttolkien.com/images/Wallhangings/Wall%20Decal%20LOTR%20Aragorn%20Strider.jpg
12/1/12 5:26 PM
Zenoplata
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah. The dude they got is kinda chubby.

Maybe I envisioned Mance differently than his description just from the scope of his character.

Most of the characters are perfect I have to say - obviously Ned and Tyrion being the best.

I wonder if they'll ever do Rhaegar in a flashback or something. They skipped him in Dany's visit to the house of the undying.

12/1/12 5:45 PM
kevsh
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/01/12 5:45 PM
Mance is played by Ciaran Hinds who is a great actor (you may have recognize him as the FBI contact in the Miami Vice movie or the Russian President in The Sum Of All Fears). Whether he's what you pictured or not I'm betting he'll be great in the role.
12/1/12 6:29 PM
Flyers179
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zenoplata -

Yeah. The dude they got is kinda chubby.

Maybe I envisioned Mance differently than his description just from the scope of his character.

Most of the characters are perfect I have to say - obviously Ned and Tyrion being the best.

I wonder if they'll ever do Rhaegar in a flashback or something. They skipped him in Dany's visit to the house of the undying.

They shot a flashback for the original pilot episode of when Ned's father and brother were killed by the Mad King. They decided not to include in when the shot season 1 (including reshooting episode 1) and have stated they will not do flashbacks (that could always change though). Phone Post
12/1/12 6:45 PM
Squatdog

Reek, flay that serving wench for me.

PS: Fuck off, Brienne
12/1/12 6:46 PM
shootfighterbull

Billy Yank - My theory is that I'm done with the series. Martin just jerks the reader around needlessly, uses 500 words where 5 would do, and makes me wait far too long between books.

My patience has ended. Phone Post
Good riddance Phone Post
12/1/12 6:54 PM
Flyers179

shootfighterbull -
Billy Yank - My theory is that I'm done with the series. Martin just jerks the reader around needlessly, uses 500 words where 5 would do, and makes me wait far too long between books.

My patience has ended. Phone Post
Good riddance Phone Post
You won't be missed. Phone Post
12/2/12 9:44 AM
UGCTT_Jay Edz
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My theory is that the TV series has been excellently cast. Agree? Phone Post
12/2/12 1:08 PM
Zenoplata
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Jay Edz -  My theory is that the TV series has been excellently cast. Agree? Phone Post

Yeah for the most part. Mance Rayder could've been done better.

Only thing I don't like is some of the better characters just being left out or reduced in scope. Vargo Hoat was an interesting character and has been left out, they didn't include Robett Glover or really any of the plot involving Harrenhall, just replaced Roose with Tywinn and had Jaqen use magic instead of the actual story.

12/2/12 1:15 PM
canuck34
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zenoplata -
UGCTT_Jay Edz -  My theory is that the TV series has been excellently cast. Agree? Phone Post

Yeah for the most part. Mance Rayder could've been done better.

Only thing I don't like is some of the better characters just being left out or reduced in scope. Vargo Hoat was an interesting character and has been left out, they didn't include Robett Glover or really any of the plot involving Harrenhall, just replaced Roose with Tywinn and had Jaqen use magic instead of the actual story.

I disagree. That guy looks great for Mance. Dude is supposed to be older. Phone Post
12/2/12 11:36 PM
DW
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

new preview of season three, shows the reeds, Mance at about 1:45 in, and Beric Dondarrion at the end with the flaming sword

12/3/12 12:07 AM
Zenoplata

I was just wondering, whatever happened to the Valyrian sword Tywin had made for Joffrey?

12/3/12 12:10 AM
aatard
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed Phone Post
12/3/12 12:55 AM
Flyers179

Zenoplata - 

I was just wondering, whatever happened to the Valyrian sword Tywin had made for Joffrey?

It is Tommen's sword now. I believe he allows Sir Pounce to wield it on occasion.
12/3/12 1:11 AM
Zenoplata

Haha, I see.

Anyone have any theories about Balerion the cat?

I feel like the cats are alluding to something larger, sort of like the sign that references Aegon being a Blackfyre.

12/3/12 1:33 AM
El_Varaco
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great job getting Ciaran Hinds!

the only new cast member that I don't seem to get, is Thoros.

I always imagined as being a portly man, my memory could be failing me though
12/3/12 2:32 AM
LINDE
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El_Varaco - great job getting Ciaran Hinds!

the only new cast member that I don't seem to get, is Thoros.

I always imagined as being a portly man, my memory could be failing me though

At King's Landing, Thoros is a tall, fat, bald man in loose red robes. After some time spent in the Brotherhood, he becomes a loose-skinned, grey-haired man in faded robes and piecemeal armor.[1]

12/3/12 4:07 AM
El_Varaco
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well at least I remembered the "before" Thoros
12/3/12 7:41 AM
canuck34
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DW -

new preview of season three, shows the reeds, Mance at about 1:45 in, and Beric Dondarrion at the end with the flaming sword

The guy playing Mance in that clip I pretty much spot on to what I expected! Phone Post
12/3/12 9:37 AM
Flyers179

Zenoplata - 

Haha, I see.

Anyone have any theories about Balerion the cat?

I feel like the cats are alluding to something larger, sort of like the sign that references Aegon being a Blackfyre.

You're right on the money that something is up with that cat. Balerion was Rhaegar's daughters cat before and now roam's Kings Landing IIRC. I remember reading that a lot of people believe the Three Eyed Crow uses Balerion to keep tabs on King's Landing.

I hope Balerion doesn't kill Sir Pounce and Tommen's other kittens.
12/3/12 11:24 AM
Zenoplata

Well, the way I see it, Tommmen's kittens can either represent Cerisei Jaime and Tyrion - Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella - The 3 Dragons or their riders - or the 3 heads of the dragons (Targs).

Now, I doubt Tommen's kittens represent the Targs or dragons, and seeing as how Joffrey is already dead I find it more likely that they're suppose to be be the Lannister siblings. Ser Pounce is Jaime, Boots is Tyrion and Cersei is Lady Whiskers.

The Black Tomcat is Rhaenys' kitten - it's fairly certain. So Balerion the cat could symbolize any number of given things about the Targs or dragons. I'd have to think more into it.

Drogon is said to be reincarnation of Balerion the Black Dread. So if I am correct in Ser Pounce being Jaime, we know that the scene where Ser Pounce defends Tommen from Balerion could be significant. Many people believe part of Jaime's retribution is going to be slaying a dragon - thus losing the title Kingslayer and becoming Jaime the Dragonslayer.

If Jaime were to kill Balerion with Widow's Wail and sacrifice himself in order to save Tommen (or we can look at Tommen symbolizing the weak and innocent of the Kingdom) he would most definitely come full circle.

12/3/12 11:28 AM
Mencken
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zenoplata - 

Well, the way I see it, Tommmen's kittens can either represent Cerisei Jaime and Tyrion - Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella - The 3 Dragons or their riders - or the 3 heads of the dragons (Targs).

Now, I doubt Tommen's kittens represent the Targs or dragons, and seeing as how Joffrey is already dead I find it more likely that they're suppose to be be the Lannister siblings. Ser Pounce is Jaime, Boots is Tyrion and Cersei is Lady Whiskers.

The Black Tomcat is Rhaenys' kitten - it's fairly certain. So Balerion the cat could symbolize any number of given things about the Targs or dragons. I'd have to think more into it.

Drogon is said to be reincarnation of Balerion the Black Dread. So if I am correct in Ser Pounce being Jaime, we know that the scene where Ser Pounce defends Tommen from Balerion could be significant. Many people believe part of Jaime's retribution is going to be slaying a dragon - thus losing the title Kingslayer and becoming Jaime the Dragonslayer.

If Jaime were to kill Balerion with Widow's Wail and sacrifice himself in order to save Tommen (or we can look at Tommen symbolizing the weak and innocent of the Kingdom) he would most definitely come full circle.

But if Dany is to be the leader of Westeros, and fight the Others, wouldn't killing the dragon be a bad thing?  The only way that would be an honored act is if either the dragon has gone crazy and isn't part of Dany's side anymore, or if the Lannisters win out and remain on the throne. 

12/3/12 11:43 AM
Zenoplata

Well, I'm not sure how it's all going to play out. It has been alluded to that Drogon is uncontrollable and is going to create terror throughout the land.

The dragons may be an entirely separate threat - perhaps Euron takes control of Drogon, which might explain Balerion the Tomcat having one eye.

There may be two, three or four separate battles going on at the same time. The dragons may never meet the Others.

And the idea is for Jaime to sacrifice himself, not necessarily win the war. If Dany loses control of Drogon and he attacks the other dragons she might be powerless to stop him and this Jaime's sacrifice would become necessary. She, or Jon Snow, or Tommen or whomever may still reside on the Iron Throne when all is said and done despite this happening.

12/3/12 11:44 AM
Zenoplata

Personally I think Dany being the leader of Westeros is a bit obvious and played out. I'd much prefer a storyline where Jon Snow, Stannis or even Gendry or some wild-card took the throne.

12/3/12 11:45 AM
Mencken
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drogon is plainly the leader of the dragons though.  He's the biggest, and as you say, Balerion reincarnate.  Aegon rode Balerion as the spearpoint of the three....seems bizarre to me that anyone by Dany would be riding Drogon 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.