UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nate Quarry reflects on Franklin being kayoed

11/14/12 9:56 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In 2005 at UFC 56, Nate Quarry suffered one of the most dramatic KO losses in MMA history, at the hands of Rich Franklin.

Saturday at UFC Macau, Franklin in turn suffered a ferocious KO, at the hands of Cung Le.

A fan asked Quarry for his reaction.

"Nate, just curious to your reaction to Macau," asked the fan. "Seeing Rich Franklin on the receiving end of a highlight reel knockout like he gave you, what did you feel? Is that empathy? Some level of vengeance served? Regret that you didn't do that? Or just another day at the office? I could probably ask the same of Wanderlei when Gonzaga KO'd Cro Cop. Just curious."

Quarry's reply is worth knowing.

"I've had a few people ask me this. I'd say I feel the same way that I feel whenever I see anyone get knocked out or even lose, I'd say it borders on empathy.

"See, that's one thing I dislike about fighting, it's that someone has to lose for one person to win. Don't get me wrong, that's also what I love about fighting and there's nothing like having a defeated warrior at your feet. But I don't generally feel joy at seeing someone lose.

"I've made the joke a few times as I see those that have wronged me throughout the years crash and burn - 'Since I feel guilty I'm enjoying watching them fall off their ivory tower that means I'm still a good person.' But in reality, I have no desire to be the type of person that gains pleasure in watching others fail.

"Rich is no exception. Other than one night about seven years ago, he's always been nothing but nice to me.

"What a petty, childish person I would be if after all these years I took pleasure in seeing someone fail who simply showed up to do his job and I was on the receiving end. In fact, the night that Rich lost his title I went to his hotel room to express my condolences. I even told him, 'Rich, if you gave me the choice of never fighting for the title or getting brutally knocked out and seeing it over and over again, I wouldn't change a thing.'

"I'm not going to bitch about the journey because I'm happy with where I'm at. And I'm not going to be joyful in other people's sorrows.

"At least that's the goal. That's the person I want to be."

Read entire Facebook...

11/14/12 10:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Uncle Creepy's Creepy Nephew
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quarry is a class act.
11/14/12 10:06 AM
Neph
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uncle Creepy's Creepy Nephew - Quarry is a class act.

11/14/12 10:16 AM
ComeatMeBro
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neph - 

11/14/12 10:24 AM
ShakeR_

Probably the best possible response anyone could offer for that question.

He just took classy to whole new level. Phone Post
11/14/12 10:25 AM
Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ComeatMeBro -
Neph - 

. Phone Post
11/14/12 10:32 AM
Diazed And Confused
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still say both fights were stopped too early. Phone Post
11/14/12 10:32 AM
Seraldo Babalu
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This.

Say hi to your uncle for me.
11/14/12 10:35 AM
epwar
647 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III - 
ComeatMeBro -
Neph - 

. Phone Post

11/14/12 10:36 AM
Brian Rule
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - 
ComeatMeBro -
Neph - 

. Phone Post

11/14/12 10:40 AM
UGCTT_EnderTL
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love reading things like this right after I wake up. Sets a good tone for the day. Nate sounds like a great guy. Phone Post
11/14/12 10:45 AM
Darth Ryase
1275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/14/12 10:48 AM
ShakeR_ -  Probably the best possible response anyone could offer for that question.

He just took classy to whole new level. Phone Post

He's always been classy. One of the classiest in the game.

Up there with Mr. Peanut.

11/14/12 10:46 AM
dMo
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian Rule -
epwar - 
ComeatMeBro -
Neph - 

. Phone Post

This.....and he just owned a few people on this forum too. Phone Post
11/14/12 10:48 AM
UGSlapshot

In sparring, if you continually drop your hands when you kick the instructors where I trained would duct tape them to your head gear and watching that GIF of Franklin reinforces why they would do so.

Franklin has always been 1 of my favorite fighters he just seems like a great guy.

Nate seems cool as well, nice to see he doesn't let his ego get away from him. Phone Post
11/14/12 11:11 AM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nate Quarry is one of MMA's true gentlemen (and the only reason I watch MMA Uncensored)

11/14/12 11:14 AM
ausgepicht

Quarry's reply is worth knowing noting.

IMO.
11/14/12 11:34 AM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classy stuff well done Nate Quarry Phone Post
11/14/12 11:39 AM
chawkins
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And once again we're reminded why Nate Quarry is Good For The Sport (TM).

There are far too few like him.
11/14/12 12:09 PM
patrice

anyone noticed that both of Cung's feet aren't touching the floor when he land that hook?

so much about the necessity of planting your feet.
interesting exception to the rule..
11/14/12 12:27 PM
Leghound
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quarry is a good human
11/14/12 12:31 PM
UGCTT_Pariah

Amazing show of class from Nate, the sport could use more people with that kind of attitude. Phone Post
11/14/12 12:38 PM
BROTHER WISDOM
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quarry has never been anything less than a class act. Big fan of his
11/14/12 12:52 PM
buckshot44
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This.
11/14/12 1:47 PM
Uchi
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my favorite people that have come from the MMA community. Quarry has always been a great guy. All the best to him, and hope his post fighting career brings him great success. This is the sort of guy that the UFC needs working for them.
11/14/12 2:12 PM
Rabadaba
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classy. As. Fuck. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.