UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> vermonter is a superstar famous coach/writer!

11/14/12 12:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ring Girl
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But we all knew that, right? ;)

Vermonter got the BreakingMuscle.com gigs I listed here a couple weeks back. He's now writing news articles for us 3x/week culling the latest in fitness/health/training research and interpreting it for the rest of us folks.

Here's an example - I am still blue-name-less, so forgive my lack of hyperlinking:

http://breakingmuscle.com/health-medicine/how-bad-hit-head-very-says-science
11/14/12 1:18 PM
1800champagne
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome. Look forward to reading. Phone Post
11/14/12 6:39 PM
Leigh
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff :)
11/14/12 6:47 PM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://breakingmuscle.com/health-medicine/how-bad-hit-head-very-says-science

11/14/12 7:34 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Doug,

Great stuff. This is a very important issue. That's why I am always running articles talking about neck training on my blog. Really glad you shined a light on this important topic. Nice work.

TAKU

11/15/12 10:18 AM
vermonter
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks alot Becca, and everyone else!

I'm going to try to consistently go beyond the research like i did here. We all know that research is often biased, or very focused, or easy to misinterpret.

So for example, there were several studies recently looking at head injuries in various sports, which is relevant to combat athletes, but how? With a lack of specific studies for combat sports i think people too often take this to some doomsday prediction: MMA MUST be the worst right?

Not so.

That said, it's important to take steps to protect yourself. Fighters have an advantage in fewer competetive days than in almost every other sport. Train smart, protect yourself when head trauma occurs, read taku's blog as well, and enjoy a looooong career :)

Also, Becca and I have some cool stuff planned for the future so please keep reading for updates!!
11/16/12 7:20 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I played football, boxed and traned, and got my bell rung in each. MMA is a young sport without much structure, and a lot of guys jump into sparring before they're ready. That said, there are kids in Pop Warner playing/practicing with concussions, so maybe structure is overrated. We all need to set our egos aside and approach sport more intelligently.
11/16/12 9:09 AM
vermonter
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

419 - I played football, boxed and traned, and got my bell rung in each. MMA is a young sport without much structure, and a lot of guys jump into sparring before they're ready. That said, there are kids in Pop Warner playing/practicing with concussions, so maybe structure is overrated. We all need to set our egos aside and approach sport more intelligently.

Agreed. I remember sometimes feeling like a wuss for taking some time off from injuries (any kind, really) or politely declining to spar with people that went to hard in training, but with nearly 2 decades of martial arts under my belt, i'm relatively injury free. That tells me i made some good choices.
11/16/12 3:56 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had at least three concussions in my life, and numerous sub-concussive impacts to the head from aggressive work and play. The more I learn about the brain, the more I worry and wonder about my own, as well as those of some of the combative athletes I work with.

Up until 2009, the NFL was taking the stance that there was 0 link between playing pro football and head trauma. Their stance was similar to Big Tobacco claiming 0 link between cigarettes and other health issues.

I am a fan of combative sports, but do feel these are things that need to be explored very deeply and with serious thought towards the health and longevity of the participants. 

TAKU
11/17/12 12:13 PM
torquemada
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff.

Between football and mma, I've had four concussions. I had to stop stand up sparring because of it. I still get massive headaches.

I see younger guys going full out regularly. It's good to see information being put out. Phone Post
11/19/12 8:12 AM
vermonter

One thing that is big in neuroscience right now is the link between regular brain exercise and the strength of the neurological connections. This strength seems to help ward off neurological diseases and even to prolong life.

Work your minds as well as your bodies and that should help keep the mental problems at bay.
11/19/12 9:54 AM
Taku

WHAT...I don't get it.

Where am I?

Who are you guys...what are you doing in my computer?

I thought this was Lava-Life...

TAKU

11/19/12 2:59 PM
torquemada
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - One thing that is big in neuroscience right now is the link between regular brain exercise and the strength of the neurological connections. This strength seems to help ward off neurological diseases and even to prolong life.

Work your minds as well as your bodies and that should help keep the mental problems at bay.
When you say work your mind, examples please? Phone Post
11/19/12 3:52 PM
vermonter

Anything that is cognitively challenging. Learning a new language, studying an unfamliar science or an instrument for example.
11/19/12 5:59 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does arguing on the interwebz count?
11/20/12 8:42 AM
vermonter

419 - Does arguing on the interwebz count?

I doubt it hurts much...
11/21/12 10:19 AM
FLMikeATT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

torquemada - 
vermonter - One thing that is big in neuroscience right now is the link between regular brain exercise and the strength of the neurological connections. This strength seems to help ward off neurological diseases and even to prolong life.

When you say work your mind, examples please? Phone Post

www.lumosity.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.