UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Eggs: Raw or Cooked?

11/14/12 8:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a post-workout snack, I've recently been eating poached eggs on wholemeal toast.

I'm not overly fond of the taste of eggs but eat them anyway for the nutritional benefits. So, I was just thinking, would there be any difference in just drinking the raw contents of the egg instead of going through the effort of cooking it and eating it?

Would there be any difference in the protein you get from egg whites and the health benefits you get from eating the yolk?

11/15/12 10:09 AM
vermonter
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder how substantial those anti-nutrients are to humans though, as i suspect that eggs are a pretty common part of our evolutionary diet.
11/15/12 10:12 AM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree with Doug (again).

However, for thos who wonder or worry, here is something from my blog that may help:

ALMOST RAW EGGS

TAKU

11/15/12 10:49 AM
vermonter
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey taku, what does the internal temp get to? I had always assumed anything strong enough to kill salmonella would cook the egg...
11/15/12 10:59 AM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Doug,

it seems that most places that do a sort of "Flash cooking" shoot for a temp under 150 degrees. This (in theory) will keep the potnetial for salmonella down without actully cooking the egg. Using my method the temp will probably get a little higher. So, the whites are often slightly cooked, mostly runny with perhaps a little turning solid (not quite soft boiled). Can't say for 100% sure what that temp actually is...I am guessing it's between 140-180 degrees.

TAKU 

11/15/12 11:18 AM
vermonter

Ok cool. I wonder if that's enough to kill salmonella especially at the cooler inner part? It's enough to kill most bacteria, that's for sure, but i'm always curious about that sort of stuff.
11/15/12 11:34 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/15/12 11:38 AM
vermonter - I wonder how substantial those anti-nutrients are to humans though, as i suspect that eggs are a pretty common part of our evolutionary diet.

Paleo community will say that the anti-nutrient content is extremely important. Some will agree to an extent.

I remember someone saying in another thread that if you worried about anti-nutrients but not consuming veggies and the like, anti-nutrients aren't the first of your problems... 

"good, better, best" approach IMHO.

furthermore, it's been a while but from what I remember;

1. 120C is enough to neutralize "trypsin inhibitor" and it doesn't take much unlike soy beans for instance.

2. I think once the albumin (egg white) coagulates, so basically like Taku said soft/runny it's ready for "optimal" nutrition.

11/15/12 11:44 AM
vermonter

Edited: 11/15/12 11:45 AM
ArthurKnoqOut - 

vermonter - I wonder how substantial those anti-nutrients are to humans though, as i suspect that eggs are a pretty common part of our evolutionary diet.

Paleo community will say that the anti-nutrient content is extremely important. Some will agree to an extent.

I remember someone saying in another thread that if you worried about anti-nutrients but not consuming veggies and the like, anti-nutrients aren't the first of your problems... 

"good, better, best" approach IMHO.

furthermore, it's been a while but from what I remember;

1. 120C is enough to neutralize "trypsin inhibitor" and it doesn't take much unlike soy beans for instance.

2. I think once the albumin (egg white) coagulates, so basically like Taku said soft/runny it's ready for "optimal" nutrition.

Well the paleo community would (or should) say that anti-nutrients are substantial for species that are not evolved to deal with them. We are not prepared digestively to handle the anti-nutrients (or much else) in cereal grasses even though grazing animals eat them exclusively. Eggs on the other hand are a natural part of our ancestral diet. Wouldn't we have evolved digestive methods for dealing with eggs, just as grazing animals have with cereal grasses.

Also, i do not know what 120C means.
11/15/12 12:04 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/15/12 12:05 PM

I don't know the alt+numpad code for degrees. 120 degrees Celcium :)

as with most ancestral matters, it's difficult to ascertain what we did or did not eat and precisely how. did humans soak and sprout grains? if so they are a part of, at least some, populations' diets. Maybe same thing with eggs, some ate them raw and then realized they are better suited if heated. shrug.

my point was that maybe instead of worrying about removing a piece of toast, people should worry about adding more greens or non-starchy veggies to their diets. 

11/15/12 12:22 PM
vermonter

Well eating sprouts might be a different story, but i suspect the time frame i'm talking about predates activities like soaking or cooking. We do not have the digestive system to handle raw adult cereal grasses. With that being the case, i'm more sensative to arguments regarding anti-nutrients for foods that no human is evolved to eat than i am for a food that i could have easily aquired as a child (raw eggs). On a base level, i don't see them as being the same. Whether this is important to nutrition or not, is a different question, but i have a feeling raw eggs are a bit easier on my insides than raw wheat.

So that is a long winded way to reword my post that you were replying to: I wonder how substantial egg anti-nutrients really are to human beings.

And got you on the celsius (i think you meant) thing. However, based on Taku's post, i'm guessing he was measuring in fahrenheit. 120 degrees celsius is greater than the tempurature of water near the boiling point, and substantially more than the internal temperature of an egg placed in water that is no longer boiling. So perhaps the inhibitor in question is still active with Taku's advice.
11/15/12 12:24 PM
vermonter

PS. the ascii code for the degree symbol is "248."

If it works in this frame you will see it here:

120°c
11/15/12 3:49 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

need more coffee apparently... fahrenheit, yes.

I agree with you on eating some raw, that's pretty much the idea in terms of evolutionary. 

11/15/12 5:43 PM
Taku

Doug,

I feel as you do that it's pretty likely that humans can tolerate raw eggs without any issues. I actually eat raw eggs quite a bit and don't feel as if I have ever had any issues from it.

TAKU

11/15/12 7:28 PM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku - 

Doug,

I feel as you do that it's pretty likely that humans can tolerate raw eggs without any issues. I actually eat raw eggs quite a bit and don't feel as if I have ever had any issues from it.

TAKU

Do you drink both the white and the yolk? How many eggs do you put into one glass at a time?

11/15/12 9:54 PM
Taku

I know there are many folks who feel milk is not a great food for humans to eat. I love RAW milk. When I eat raw eggs (drink actually) it's most often in the form of the OLD-SCHOOL SUPER SHAKE.

I also make home made Mayonaise, and Aioli, as well as Ceasar salad. I use raw eggs in all of these recipes.

I love soft-boiled eggs as well Mmmmm...

TAKU

11/16/12 2:02 AM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

does anyone know if pasteurization has the same neutralization effect on the anti-nutrients as full on cooking? just curious if its a bad idea to drink the egg whites out of a carton without cooking them...
11/16/12 9:23 AM
vermonter

Yeah i love eggs too. Pretty much any way...

Taku: The Maasi consumed raw milk as a substantial part of their diet apparently to no ill effect. Now you're about as far from a Maasi as possible, but who knows...

Turducken: I'm curious about this as well...
11/16/12 9:30 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

Taku - 

I know there are many folks who feel milk is not a great food for humans to eat. I love RAW milk. When I eat raw eggs (drink actually) it's most often in the form of the OLD-SCHOOL SUPER SHAKE.

I also make home made Mayonaise, and Aioli, as well as Ceasar salad. I use raw eggs in all of these recipes.

I love soft-boiled eggs as well Mmmmm...

TAKU

surely you meant grass fed raw milk :)

11/16/12 11:48 AM
Taku

Doug,

I thought we all come from africa...originally.

AKO..always so dry.

TAKU

11/16/12 12:23 PM
vermonter

Taku - 

Doug,

I thought we all come from africa...originally.

AKO..always so dry.

TAKU

Actually, according to Dawkins the most recent common ancestor of all living human beings is almost certainly asian, and lived after at least one of the major migrations out of africa, IIRC.
11/16/12 12:36 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

I think it was central Asian like the Caucaus region so we're all Kazak?

11/16/12 1:18 PM
vermonter

I dont recall if he mentioned what part of asia.
11/16/12 1:25 PM
vermonter

This guy knows what paleo is all about:

11/16/12 1:39 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

I lol'd.

11/16/12 8:25 PM
FearTheClown

Fuckit, i'll just eat them cooked and drink 2 raw afterwards.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.