UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Your honest opinions on DFW?

11/15/12 4:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Terraform
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bald

Rich Phone Post
11/15/12 4:09 AM
JosselEmin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And as a human being I believe u should love ur mother even if she wish u to be dead u still own ur life and success to her. That's just MHO. Phone Post
11/15/12 4:42 AM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like a decent human being, goes out of his way to donate to charities and causes he believes in, doesn't ask for any attention to be brought to it. Spends his money freely, has a huge passion for the sport, and interacts with fans in a way that other major sports figures simply don't.

Is he perfect as a human being or as a business man? No, of course not. But no one is, and I think it's ridiculous how much hate he gets for every decision Zuffa makes that people don't like, when he's only a minority owner in the company. Overall, he seems like he's a good man and the kind of guy I'd like to shoot the shit with over a few beers Phone Post
11/15/12 4:43 AM
RameauSoCouldYou
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing that can't be disputed is how hard he works, can't imagine he has much time at home at all.

The mere fact he's so discussed and debated about shows he is exactly right for the job. Personally I enjoy the spectacle. Phone Post
11/15/12 4:47 AM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's done a lot more good than bad for this sport. I also think he's waaaay smarter than he lets on or most people give him credit for. He is legit a genius promoter. As a human being, no idea. I do think one-half to two-thirds of the roster are probably underpaid (not looking for a debate on that), and he occasionally makes very rash arbitrary decisions (firing certain folks he shouldn't have).

So yeah, a bit childish, but let me put it this way: nearly anyone who gets to the CEO level is an utter douchebag (example: Jerry Millen). They're just usually subtle about it. Dana White is openly immature but likable and while he is excellent at promoter-speak, which requires that he goes back on his word a fair amount, overall it's hard not to like the guy. Also I think he genuinely enjoys giving back to the little guy. So he may be a bit of a manchild, but he is a far better guy than most CEOs while being very good at his job, and he's also the sort of dude I'd wanna have a beer with.

Also I don't know the guy personally so I could be totally wrong.
11/15/12 5:18 AM
JBASS
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

legkicktothehead - 
Ramone8 - It's a different kind of sport, and he's a different kind of promoter. I often times find myself at odds with some of the things he has to say, but at the end of the day, when he is honestly speaking out about Jon Jones, Silva, etc. his mind is in a million different places. Surely I'm merely thinking about the disappointment that Silva gave me in Abu Dhabi, but he is already thinking about expansion, network terms, etc. He's a busy guy, with a lot of fingers in a lot of different areas, who am I to chastise his decision making?

I became a fan of the UFC in the old days, and thought it would perpetually be a sport that received very little respect, and garner few headlines. He took a big risk, spent a lot of other peoples money, and ended up doing quite well.

I will be disappointed with a President talking shit on his employees 100 percent of the time, but at this point I am quite comfortable saying that he knows how to handle business far better than I would have.

What really irked me was when Zuffa threw Shogun under the bus

Shogun gave them the greatest fight in UFC history.

All Shogun has done is come to fight, even when injuried, which has cost him many of his recent performances

Yet because Shogun didn't take a risky fight against an unknown fighter they threw him under the bus

Then how Lorenzo said Shogun wasn't a true fighter because he didn't take a SECOND short notice fight with Jones

I mean that was fucking despicable

They showed no respect to their former champion

That let me know that Zuffa doesn't care about their fighters

Thats was when I took a step back and really thought about things

Having been an employer for many years, there is nothing I can't stand more when I ask staff to do something and they say 'No, I do not want to do that.' At the end of the day, if I pay you to do a job and ask you to do that job and you say NO to me - then why do I even have you employed?

Sure, my line of work and MMA are completely different industries - but in any other world where you get paid to do something, you wouldn't have your job much longer if you said you won't do it. Do you also think that Shogun should've had a higher ranked opponent than Vera after the Hendo fight?

And on a side note - why do you insist on taking a thread about any topic on the UG and then proceed to talk about nothing but Shogun?? We get it, we already know you are Thiaguy 2.0
You don't need to keep reminding us! :)
11/15/12 2:26 PM
CindyO

And on a side note - why do you insist on taking a thread about any topic on the UG and then proceed to talk about nothing but Shogun?? We get it, we already know you are Thiaguy 2.0

Pfft! I wish I would have known that. I wouldn't have wasted my time reading his shit.

Cindy

11/15/12 2:40 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He sometimes says things I don't like,
and sometimes I disagree with him.

That said, Dana is great, and I generally think he likes the fans and puts his all into the UFC.

He gets a thumbs up from me too, Chuck.
11/17/12 12:14 AM
Pizzeria Nova Uno

U know what Phone Post
11/17/12 12:47 AM
MasterofMartialArts
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 -

I hate........his job.  As a fan(longtime), I have the right to nitpick and voice my opinion or displeasure of choices/decision he makes or fighters he bashes or cuts or doesn't sign.

Really, as fans, we should be at war. He wants our money, and we should want to get the most bang for our buck, but he should be trying to maximize profits.  I shouldn't like promoters, and I don't like decisions he's made, however I think he's a pretty outstanding human being and I am 99% sure if I had his job, I'd do it a whole helluva lot worse, even though I'd try my best.

btw^^^^, is that gif taken from that cheezy 90's movie "Sidekick" that I watched several times as a kid but if I watched it now, I probably wouldn't be able to make it past the first 10 minutes?

It's from Dodgeball Phone Post
11/17/12 1:53 AM
twizzle97
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't think of a single person who would do a better job than Dana. The stress and long hours must be crazy, but he obviously loves what he does.

He HAS to be short on time, but he always has time for the fans. I appreciate the sacrifice.

11/17/12 2:05 AM
smags
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love him, great for the sport and he is extremely entertaining Phone Post
11/17/12 2:19 AM
PhallicObjekt
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dbag promoter. Cool to the fans and might be a nice guy personally but at the end of the day he is still a dbag fight promotor. Phone Post
11/17/12 4:36 AM
JBASS
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NotImpressedByYourScreenName - 
JBASS -
legkicktothehead - 
Ramone8 - It's a different kind of sport, and he's a different kind of promoter. I often times find myself at odds with some of the things he has to say, but at the end of the day, when he is honestly speaking out about Jon Jones, Silva, etc. his mind is in a million different places. Surely I'm merely thinking about the disappointment that Silva gave me in Abu Dhabi, but he is already thinking about expansion, network terms, etc. He's a busy guy, with a lot of fingers in a lot of different areas, who am I to chastise his decision making?

I became a fan of the UFC in the old days, and thought it would perpetually be a sport that received very little respect, and garner few headlines. He took a big risk, spent a lot of other peoples money, and ended up doing quite well.

I will be disappointed with a President talking shit on his employees 100 percent of the time, but at this point I am quite comfortable saying that he knows how to handle business far better than I would have.

What really irked me was when Zuffa threw Shogun under the bus

Shogun gave them the greatest fight in UFC history.

All Shogun has done is come to fight, even when injuried, which has cost him many of his recent performances

Yet because Shogun didn't take a risky fight against an unknown fighter they threw him under the bus

Then how Lorenzo said Shogun wasn't a true fighter because he didn't take a SECOND short notice fight with Jones

I mean that was fucking despicable

They showed no respect to their former champion

That let me know that Zuffa doesn't care about their fighters

Thats was when I took a step back and really thought about things

Having been an employer for many years, there is nothing I can't stand more when I ask staff to do something and they say 'No, I do not want to do that.' At the end of the day, if I pay you to do a job and ask you to do that job and you say NO to me - then why do I even have you employed?

Sure, my line of work and MMA are completely different industries - but in any other world where you get paid to do something, you wouldn't have your job much longer if you said you won't do it. Do you also think that Shogun should've had a higher ranked opponent than Vera after the Hendo fight?

UFC fighters are not employees. They are contracted partners. Therein lies the difference - they work for themselves cos the UFC don't wanna pay the on-costs for employees Phone Post

Interesting point - but again, why would you contract somebody to do work for you when they don't want to do the work you ask them to do? I've used sub-contractors before and it's the same thing IMO - I've got a job for them to do, they do it. If they don't want to do it then I will find someone else who will. I can't really fault the UFC if they have a similar opinion.

Hey if I am not mistaken you are a fellow Aussie, right?
11/17/12 4:59 AM
Boofhead3
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love him. He has done so fucking much for the sport and i love his brutal honesty Phone Post
11/17/12 5:04 AM
Nocturnal

Kinda reminds me of the Diaz bros. but that thing he did with olivia munn was so damn odd. Phone Post
11/25/12 12:00 AM
AnthonyMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana is doing it his way. Not many can say that about their own respective sports. Phone Post
11/25/12 12:01 AM
RKing85
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best thing to ever happen to the world of MMA.....and I can't stand listening to him for more than 30 seconds.
11/25/12 11:44 AM
Daverr

overall, i like him,

dont like how $ hungry he is, but hell, thats everybody and all promoters so its cool,

11/25/12 11:57 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've met him several times over the years and he's been very cool. My only criticism is that he'll tip a waiter or bartender more than he's willing to give to pay one of his fighters.
11/25/12 11:57 AM
OftheWay

RayRaysFunhouse - This is NOT for bashing.
Just what do you think of the guy? As a person and as a businessman. A lot of fighters dislike him because they say he wants to be a fighter and can't, while others praise him as a great businessman (which I think is obviously true)
My own personal opinion, I think he's pretty much a normal dude. I think he does a lot of things for attention, whether good or bad, like we've all done. He's very self-deprecating (look at his newest interview about ducking the soccer challenge) and seems pretty down to earth.
I don't have a negative thing to say about him as a businessman, though. Yeah he swears a lot on tv and some people may hate that (Fox included) but it makes us "normal" people feel like he's closer to being one of us. A dude that's not in the best of shape, bald, swearing all the time and using twitter to bitch, I think we all have some people like that we know. Phone Post
As a person (as best as can be gleaned from his frequent interviews, Vlogs, appearances on TUF, etc.) he seems to be an honest, tell-it-like-it-is type of guy. The quintessential opposite of a politician; for better or for worse he usually says how he really feels.

Zuffa needs both his and Fertitta's personalities to be successful. Phone Post
11/25/12 12:08 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He seems like a cool guy and a ferocious and driven business man...He just lies far too much and too many people gobble up his every word.

He has also driven the sport to unimaginable levels...but sadly turned into something it was never meant to be. It's no longer a martial arts event...it lost all honor/budo...it's a cheap whore with too much make up.

If he can bring the martial arts aspect back into the sport he will strike a perfect balance...He should also apologize to Fedor-lol
11/25/12 12:15 PM
Chris27

He seems like a cool guy, he is great for the sport as well.

he does go a bit overboard at times but I like his no bullshit attitude.

I like that if a fight sucked he isnt gonna sit there and try and tell everyone the fight was great like other orgs promoters will do. He will say no that fight sucked, that event wasnt our best, this guy turned down a fight etc.

That doesnt mean every single thing he says is 100 percent true, he is a promoter and he wants people to buy his product but for the most part I enjoy his honesty about things, good or bad.

11/25/12 12:17 PM
Chris27

Daverr - 
overall, i like him,

dont like how $ hungry he is, but hell, thats everybody and all promoters so its cool,

Dont think that is limited to just promoters, thats basically every single person on this planet. Money rules the world, everyone wants it, people who have billions still want more.

11/25/12 12:36 PM
Neil Funk

Underpaying fighters

Arbitrarily cutting fighters while keeping company guys on big losing streaks

His embarrassing hack job on Jon Jones

Gifting title shots to roiding felons, yet publicly castrating a guy with social anxiety and pulling his title shot because he didn't show up for a press conference

Shitting on the greatest HW who ever lived (Fedor) and calling him a "fraud", when Fedor has never been anything but a classy and respectful ambassador of the sport

Badmouthing fighters and questioning their heart, when he himself has never fought

"Women will NEVER fight in the UFC" - until he develops a crush on Ronda Rousey

but he works hard so it's all good

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.