UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Coolest MMA fighter you have met

11/15/12 5:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D241
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hocky-do you remember where the fighters walked out to the cage?

I am from TX but I won tickets to be flown to Nashville, hotel stay, and great seats-and backstage tour.

I was with another guy and for half the night, we were forced to wear these geeky "get geeked" orange t-shirts. My seat was right next to where the fighters came out, and was on the floor. It'd be crazy if you were in the proximity and we didn't even know it.   

In your opinion, was that brawl a little blown up?

Also, if I was staring at the cage, to the left of the cage was King Mo's friends/enterage who kept yelling "King.....Mo......King.....Mo". Just tryin to guage where you were sitting. Did you get to meet or see Big John or Herschel Walker?

11/15/12 5:58 PM
Mayhem Monkey
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wanderlei was by far the coolest and nicest guy. I met him in Vegas a few years ago (just after they announced the Rampage 3 fight) He talked with me for a bit and answered some Pride questions I had and then i asked for a picture, he was all smiley and happy, so I said to him, "Nah, can I get that Wandy vs Rampage 3 look, like just before you smash him again"?, he smiled and said "no problem man"... He then hit a switch and went into angry Wandy stare down mode and touched nose to mine. It's pretty much my favorite pic.

If you didn't know any better, you'd think it was a piss run down your leg type moment.

Second coolest was Chael. He was amazingly humble.

The most detached fighter I ever met was Jason McDonald. He was at a UFC in Vancouver. He wasn't fighting on that card or talking to anyone, but he didn't really didn't want anything to do with us. Phone Post
11/15/12 6:03 PM
Hargreaves
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robert Drysdale was pretty cool and holds back nothing when he teaches.....

11/15/12 6:03 PM
Hargreaves

Edited: 11/15/12 6:03 PM
ttt
11/15/12 6:16 PM
UGCTT_Zacharinho
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wanderlei Silva was awesome, gave me a big hug when I saw him.

Dan Hardy took the time to sign a shirt for my friend for his birthday. I had already been in line to meet him. Met him. And then got the shirt idea. Dan was all for letting cut the line like a Hague to sign it quick.

Kyle Noke, Mark Bocek, Michael Bisping, Robert Drysdale, Cub Swanson, Raphael Assuncao.

I met Joe Rogan in a bathroom once. Went to shake his hand to which he replied. "I'd shake your hand if we weren't in a bathroom". I laughed but felt stupid. Phone Post
11/15/12 6:24 PM
DiscipleDojo
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder
Sam9104 - You all probably live in the states.. so jealous. As a swedish fan, it's incredibly hard to meet any fighters all I can do is wait for an event here in Stockholm..

Anyway, please write what happend as well (for those of you who can - not wanting to spread anything negative about some fighters personal stuff) :)

Sam9104, you might be interested in my series of posts about my trip to Renzo's when Frankie, GSP, Roger and Gunnar were there training: http://jmsmith.org/blog/ny5 (links to previous ones in the series are embedded at the top of that page)

11/15/12 6:25 PM
Harry the Gimp

Wanderlai Silva was hands down the nicest guy - first time I met him in 2005 he gave me a big hug when I introduced a photographer who wanted to do some stuff with him. Fedor was like a weird cousin on the outside - smiley face but nothing behind the eyes. Randy was co-commentator at UFC70 in Manchester and took my piss take about 'sweating like a rapist' quite well. Watching Eddie Bravo and Matt Serra rolling in a strip club after crashing Arlovski's post fight drinks - we drank most of his booze - was fucking mental.

Too many stories. Chuck Liddell made me stop peeing in mid flow in London at the 02 when he threatened to beat the shit out of me over John Huntington's g/friend. That night I got home and pissed in my wardrobe and threw up over my fiance.... Happy times!
11/15/12 6:31 PM
Hocky Balboa
8448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 -

Hocky-do you remember where the fighters walked out to the cage?

I am from TX but I won tickets to be flown to Nashville, hotel stay, and great seats-and backstage tour.

I was with another guy and for half the night, we were forced to wear these geeky "get geeked" orange t-shirts. My seat was right next to where the fighters came out, and was on the floor. It'd be crazy if you were in the proximity and we didn't even know it.   

In your opinion, was that brawl a little blown up?

Also, if I was staring at the cage, to the left of the cage was King Mo's friends/enterage who kept yelling "King.....Mo......King.....Mo". Just tryin to guage where you were sitting. Did you get to meet or see Big John or Herschel Walker?

If a fighter was walking down the ramp towards the cage, and the cage was a clock, we were seated right at 11 'o clock.

Haha. Sorry. Couldn't think of a better way to describe it. We were in the 4th row, by the way.

Yeah, I heard the King Mo posse loud and clear as well.

Did you hear a loud obnoxious douche yelling "Unload on his ass!?" 'Cause that guy was in our section.

The funny thing is that all of the fights were far from exciting in my opinion; Then as we were leaving and were walking past the concession stands, we heard a loud commotion and saw the fight break out on the monitors.

Didn't meet any pros besides briefly talking to Scott Smith.

Haha. That's funny about the shirts. Was it you and a stranger, because that would have been even more awkward? Phone Post
11/15/12 6:43 PM
nomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm - 
D241 - 
nomoRomophobia - 

And I have a Nate Diaz meeting that was hysterical.

He was way funnier than I expected.

Would you mind pm'ing me? I'd love to hear your Nate Diaz story and I'm assuming you didn't post it to share here b/c you didn't want to spread anything.

haha! when I read that I thought to myself.. I said, self... Keep your mouth shut as promised... LOL

:)

11/15/12 8:36 PM
D241
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

holy shitnomoromophobia. How did you get to almost 700 vote ups?(700 as of now)

11/15/12 8:53 PM
JerryW
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
11/15/12 8:55 PM
JerryW
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
11/15/12 8:57 PM
6ULDV8

Royce Gracie.  He went out of his way to shake my hand and remembered me later.  

That man is my hero and was every bit as cool in person as I ever dreamed him to be.

11/15/12 8:59 PM
tres_equis_666
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jens is one.

And Eduard Folayang. My brother and I wanted to take a photo with him after he weighed-in.

When we asked him, he told us to wait a while. After some time, we thought he brushed us off.

We were pleasantly surprised when he found and went to us and told us "sorry for making you guys wait, how about that photo I promised?" Phone Post
11/15/12 9:09 PM
pocotouro
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

super cool guys: matt serra, gsp, david louiseau, rodrigo gracie, shonie carter, jens pulver, rachelle leah, eddie alvarez, saulo ribiero, jimy hettes

cool: arlovski, leben, daniel gracie, jeremy horn, gabe gonzaga, tra telligman

unaffected: lidell, coutoure

dicks: matt hughes, joe rogan, royce Phone Post
11/15/12 9:32 PM
aces_taylor
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Met Chael at Rockhold/Kennedy Strikeforce in Portland. Was one of the coolest guys to talk to. I wasn't a big fan before I met him, but after the event we went down cage side and asked for a picture, and ended up talking to us for 15-20 minutes about all kinds of stuff...and this was only like 10-12 days after he lost to Anderson the 2nd time. Phone Post
11/15/12 9:42 PM
RayRaysFunhouse
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - Bader was pretty nice.
Bader was cool as hell. Scary looking guy though, dude is HUGE in person. Phone Post
11/15/12 9:43 PM
SexiestManAlive

GSP

Met him before the second Hughes fight and had him sign my gloves.

Also on his posters he was signing, he misspelled my name, me being star struck said it was fine. He said no its not fine because he must treat his fans well and re did his autograph. The good guy persona isn't just for show Phone Post
11/15/12 9:46 PM
2nolatch4
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pat Barry, Jens Pulver, and Wanderlei are All awesome in person. Phone Post
11/15/12 9:51 PM
Festus
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MediumRareMistake - Partied with bones in Edmonton at union hall nightclub after hours. He gave us free drinks then took our designated driver back to his hotel leaving my buddies and I with an 80 dollar cab ride home lol. Off topic, coolest was Franklin. Phone Post
Wait a minute...bones boned your DD? hoping your designated driver friend was a girl! Phone Post
11/15/12 10:16 PM
Raezor19

Saw Hendo walking in the parkade of Mandalay Bay and, drunkenly yelled out hey hendo how bout a pic, he kinda paused and then said yes and came over for picture........still keep that pic with me,2 buddies and Hendo in my garage where we watch on the 120" projector.....

11/15/12 10:20 PM
RickStorm
1745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/15/12 10:20 PM
Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
aces_taylor -  Met Chael at Rockhold/Kennedy Strikeforce in Portland.

I hope you wern't sitting next to Tyron's mom.. oh my gosh we heard her screaming from the other side of the arena lol

11/15/12 10:53 PM
D241

Oh also....

I got to sit with Tyson Griffin's family for UFC 103 when Tyson finished Hermes impressively. I didn't get to hang out with Tyson much, but I sat in his seat until his fight was over. I sat with his family and his mom and brother are Super nice. I'm sure Tyson is as well.

And....

King Mo. I met him when I won tickets to SF Nashville. We were in high school at the same time, same city, but rival high schools. I mentioned where I was from and we chatted for a bit. Actually, I hit him up on facebook before I met him and he gave me his phone number, and told me to hit him up when in Nashville.

King Mo, only meeting me on 2-3 occasions briefly, has been SUPER cool to me. I text him every so often and I shit you not, that dude has not once not replied back. I've actually had some in depth conversation via text regarding the business and mma fans and the game, etc....

King Mo may not be the coolest, but he is definitely the realest(and pretty damn cool too).

He even let me hold his brand spanking new SF LHW belt at the airport!

11/15/12 11:08 PM
jkennedy
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most favorite current active UFC fighter? Without a doubt Antonio Carvalho. Phone Post
11/15/12 11:50 PM
Ronin_jutsuka
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tatakai Fightwear, President
Braulio Estima. I met him after his pro debut at Titan FC. He came out and talked to us for about 15 minutes, after the fight, with a HUGE smile on his face the whole time. He was absolutely jacked that he won. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.