UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC 154 still not sold out...why?

11/15/12 2:59 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Keep in mind, St. Pierre helped put over 55,000 butts in the seats of Toronto's Rogers Centre for UFC 129 and is also a recipient of "Canadian Male Athlete of the Year," an award he's previously bagged and tagged three straight years. In short, he's a pretty big deal in Canada, eh.

So why hasn't UFC 154 sold out?

This writer expected rabid mixed martial arts (MMA) fans to be thirsting for their hero's return. It has, after all, been nearly 18 months since "Rush" fought inside the Octagon, a unanimous decision win over Jake Shields at the aforementioned event in "Hogtown."

And heading into day 60 of the NHL lockout, there's no professional hockey to get in the way.

read entire article...

11/15/12 3:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
guardbr8kr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

because fads fade.
11/15/12 3:06 PM
KnowKontrol
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it was not for the state of emergency at my job I would buy some of those tickets. Phone Post
11/15/12 3:09 PM
suess
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ticket prices?  

11/15/12 3:09 PM
Card
2027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$625 tickets.

11/15/12 3:10 PM
MediumRareMistake
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overpriced Phone Post
11/15/12 3:10 PM
Masakyst
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ticket prices
11/15/12 3:11 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been out for 18 months and doesn't keep his name in the press when he is inactive, like Mayweather does. Phone Post
11/15/12 3:11 PM
Choochy
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Probably because scalpers are dumping tickets for peanuts.

I paid way below TM prices.

That and everyone probably assumed there would be an injury to the main event and the rest of the card isn't ppv worthy. Phone Post
11/15/12 3:12 PM
AlexinTO

Same thing happened for their 2nd show in Toronto.

It wasn't a sellout and it really was not a big deal like the 1st event they had where they set the attendance record.

Mainstream media barely talked about the last event here except for some cable sports shows. Phone Post
11/15/12 3:12 PM
Brigham
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana has already said he thinks they overpriced the tickets.

11/15/12 3:13 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overpriced tickets, After main and co main event the card is pretty weak
11/15/12 3:14 PM
Van City 604

Edited: 11/15/12 3:19 PM
Maybe it's because GSP hasn't been in a exciting fight for awhile now and Condit is coming off a questionable 'gameplan' so-called decision himself. I really hope it's a memorable exciting fight, but I can see why it's not sold out.....yet. Diaz vs GSP on the other hand would've been sold out weeks ago.
11/15/12 3:15 PM
demonsurge
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just bought my friends nosebleeds for 30 bucks each (1/3 value).

Sort of tempted to buy a floor ticket at $250. A lot of scalpers losing some serious money.
11/15/12 3:26 PM
kinson

The Canadian economy is in shambles without the NHL. Phone Post
11/15/12 3:28 PM
southweststalker
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Calgary card killed any hope of Canadians traveling for a fight. Im an American, and the Vegas card Bones killed had that effect on me. Why spend tons of money and travel to far away places when the card may not even happen. Add to that they already have the next card in Montreal announced, and it really hurts the drawing power.
11/15/12 3:29 PM
DethKlok

Just an armchair opinion I know, but from my perspective Zuffa has dropped the ball on advertising and marketing since fox. It's very VERY easy to forget or to miss a show these days. Also utterly impossible for the average person to see a fight after it airs live, the legal team strips most common places on the net of any UFC material.

Just a microscopic example: the fight countdown on their atrocious website has been replaced with a poker advertisement.
11/15/12 3:29 PM
MMARAIDER

Feel like an idiot for buying my tickets during the presale, tickets in my section are selling for almost half of what I paid right now Phone Post
11/15/12 3:37 PM
Tilla

The UFC couldn't fill an arena if it GAVE the tickets away.

11/15/12 3:47 PM
Jetster
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The price from what some people are saying is F'n ridiculous! and as mentioned by someone else they are not marketing their shows as much I am a die hard fan but life gets busy and i almost missed a few shows! Almost!? lol
11/15/12 3:51 PM
GtheMVP

Greed/ticket prices

Dana/Lorenzo/Zuffa, or whoever made the call, is out of their fucking minds charging those prices!!
11/15/12 3:52 PM
Chris27

Bunch of things, ticket prices, he has been out for a while and his last performances werent great. Fans might be thinking he isnt the same or he was getting boring and they would rather watch it at home.

Also the opponent and the card, GSP/Kos had TUF and trash talking, 129 had two titel fights and Machida/Randy and was the first show in Toronto.

This card isnt stacked, Condit isnt a huge name, the pre fight hype there isnt trash talking etc.

If GSP goes out and smashes Condit, finishes him, if they did GSP/Silva in Toronto it would sell 60k tickets.

If GSP smashes Condit and they did an event in Canada with GSP/Diaz and a good card under it, that would sell out.

11/15/12 3:52 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - The UFC couldn't fill an arena if it GAVE the tickets away.

Did you miss GSP's last fight? Phone Post
11/15/12 3:56 PM
6ULDV8

2 reasons of the top of my head:

Ticket prices are ridiculous.  $100 for nosebleeds to $625 for decent seats.

Only singles have been available in the cheaper seats since they went on sale.  Who here that's ever gone to a UFC has gone by themselves?

Fix those two little things and you'll get a lot more butts in the seats.

11/15/12 3:57 PM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Price and the fact that the card isn't that deep. You can't price tickets that high, it's just ridiculous. Not for a one superstar card anyway.

GSP is coming off a long layoff and has been criticized for his boring decisions. Not to mention Condit practically wore out the canvas from all the "elusiveness" in his last fight. I think this fight has real potential to be lackluster.

That said I'm reluctantly ordering this one hoping the real Condit shows up and the GSP who fought Hughes enters the cage. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.