UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC 154 still not sold out...why?

11/15/12 3:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Saltyballs
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Price and the fact that the card isn't that deep. You can't price tickets that high, it's just ridiculous. Not for a one superstar card anyway.

GSP is coming off a long layoff and has been criticized for his boring decisions. Not to mention Condit practically wore out the canvas from all the "elusiveness" in his last fight. I think this fight has real potential to be lackluster.

That said I'm reluctantly ordering this one hoping the real Condit shows up and the GSP who fought Hughes enters the cage. Phone Post
11/15/12 3:58 PM
JetSetter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets face it, if GSP wasn't on the card they wouldn't have sold half as many as they've sold. People aren't wanting to pay that high of a ticket price to see two fights. The rest of the card is garbage! Phone Post
GtheMVP

Van City 604 - Maybe it's because GSP hasn't been in a exciting fight for awhile now and Condit is coming off a questionable 'gameplan' so-called decision himself. I really hope it's a memorable exciting fight, but I can see why it's not sold out.....yet. Diaz vs GSP on the other hand would've been sold out weeks ago.

It's mainly ticket prices IMO, however, advertising has been pathetic for this event. The last time GSP came to Montreal, and or Toronto, you couldn't go a day without seeing some advert for it anywhere in Ontario. I'm sure Zuffa figured they didn't need to advertise GSP, hubris.

Less people are also talking about it, probably because GSP has become a predictably boring fighter, and Condit's last performance was disgusting. I wouldn't pay to see Condit fight, and I wouldn't pay the astronomical prices for GSP either.

Even bars are losing interest in UFC, they're charging owners far too much.

This all comes down to greed, hope you learn from it Zuffa!
Saltyballs
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 -

2 reasons of the top of my head:

Ticket prices are ridiculous.  $100 for nosebleeds to $625 for decent seats.

Only singles have been available in the cheaper seats since they went on sale.  Who here that's ever gone to a UFC has gone by themselves?

Fix those two little things and you'll get a lot more butts in the seats.

Good call on the single seats. That's definitely a problem. Phone Post
11/15/12 4:02 PM
crumbs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one gives a shit about condit, he should of defended the interim belt once, stayed active, make non hardcore fans aware ....."welter weight champion? I though GSP was"

get people interested in a belt unification fight. People's last memories of him are 5 rounds of smart, intelligent, boring as fuck fighting, and apparently everyone has forgot about GSP, he can't even sell out his home city weeks out.

I bet Toronto(ACC) would have sold out faster then Montreal. Millions of leafs fans, lost without there team to recklessly spend all there cash on merch, and have done so for many loosing seasons. There use to spending cash on sub par product, and minus a few fights, thats what this card is
11/15/12 4:05 PM
BaraoKix

Tilla - The UFC couldn't fill an arena if it GAVE the tickets away.

Lol, this is in Canada- not Florida...
11/15/12 4:08 PM
Droppin Fights

Casual fans forgot about Condit ,Canadians figure why show up until George fights a big name, talk of this Silva v George killed the fight. It's like Condit already lost. Phone Post
11/15/12 4:11 PM
xXJayRobXx
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm one of those unfortunate people who bought tickets to the 149. I was sooooo excited to see a live event. But spending 350 a ticket and then have the card change sooo dramatically and the on top of that for card it self to be boring, I won't spend that kinda money to watch an event again. It wasn't any one thing that bothered me. The names could have changed and it wouldn't have bothered me if the fights were entertaining. But all together it just left me with a negative feeling about seeing a live event. Not that it's the ufc's fault but I won't shell out that kinda money to watch an event again. I've ordered every card on ppv since UFC 53 and I will continue to buy them on ppv from the comfort of my own home. Phone Post
11/15/12 4:16 PM
UGCTT croy_00
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the women who would normally pay to see GSP, are substituting it for reading 50 shades of grey. Thus tickets sales are being affected.
11/15/12 4:16 PM
maantren
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At this point I think Zuffa is dramatically overestimating the appeal of their brand beyond the hardcore fanbase. Or, put it another way, Brock Lesnar helped temporarily inflate the UFC's visibility, and now things are settling back down.
11/15/12 4:20 PM
SQUEEZIE

this card is extremely weak
11/15/12 4:37 PM
SubPop

Here is the real reason why. Before MMA was legalized in Ontario many people including myself traveled 6 to 8 hours+ by car to go see a UFC event in MTL. Now that you can catch events in Toronto there is less need for many people to make such a long drive. It's as simple as that.

At the moment I am now only an hour and a half away from MTL but I'm broke ass so I can't go this time otherwise I would.

The card does not suck, Condit only sucks if you have only watched one fight with him otherwise you know he is vicious as hell. Maybe people in MTL are tired of seeing the same fighter headline. But most likely it is the fact that Ontarian's were starved of MMA and now we are not.
11/15/12 4:39 PM
12SixElbow
620 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. Ticket Prices

2. The card isn't stellar

3. Oversaturation

11/15/12 4:42 PM
Pxc
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$600 tickets for mediocre seats does that... Phone Post
11/15/12 5:30 PM
SunnyKO'd my SN
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pancake Syrup - Overpriced tickets, After main and co main event the card is pretty weak

Nonsense, the card is rock solid.

Carmont and Lawlor are both very entertaining, Carmont seems like beast, so it is very exciting to see if he can get past Lawlor. If Lawlor wins, that puts him up in a big way.

Ring - Philippou - Well Costa is a fucking brute, I like Ring too. Decent but perhaps not a card seller, I am still psyched.

Hominick vs Garza, did you see Graza's flying triangle at UFC 129? Nuff said. And Hominick fighting for his contract, probably.

Cote vs Sakara, both very exciting fighters, wonder whether Sakara's unfortunate KO against Stann was a fluke, his jaw will definitely be put to the test by Cote!

Diabate is ALWAYS entertaining, Griggs is just thick as fuck, I'd like Diabate to win this, nothing against Griggs.

Bocek, well did you see his fight with Hazelett? Nuff fucking said 2.0, him and Dos Anjos are both BJJ BB's, so fuck yeah. I love those match ups.

Stout Makdessi? Do you want to be a fucking brawler?!

Oh, and I also like Riddle, we'll see if he enters grinning zombie mode again, and Steven Siler, keeping an eye on him, he's fighting Elkins, both are on good runs, Siler doesn't have the fighter LOOK, but he brings it.

Seriously, the card is very very good, add GSP vs Condit and Kampmann vs Hendricks... Man.. belt unification bout AND nr 1 contender bout. Fuuuuuck yeah.
11/15/12 5:44 PM
evilmonkey666

The card's OK but people are just sick of feeling shafted paying $600+ for mediocre seats. Even half that is too much.
11/15/12 5:48 PM
Letibleu
1611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A friend of mind who watches MMA casually until yesterday didnt even know there was a UFC event in town (we live in Montreal).

The past shows were heavily advertised here but not this time.

Also to my taste aside from the main and co main, the rest of the card is meh to me. Many other people I know who this time decided to opt out of going also find the card lacking names. Last time 26 of us went to the fights. This time nobody wanted to go.

One intangible though is that beer is now 12$ (for warm tap, poured in a flimsy plastic cup). The food is worse. 5$ for a water bottle ect... more and more locals boycott events held there.
11/15/12 5:53 PM
Pancake Syrup
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SunnyKO'd my SN - 
Pancake Syrup - Overpriced tickets, After main and co main event the card is pretty weak

Carmont and Lawlor are both very entertaining, Carmont seems like beast, so it is very exciting to see if he can get past Lawlor. If Lawlor wins, that puts him up in a big way.

Ring - Philippou - Well Costa is a fucking brute, I like Ring too. Decent but perhaps not a card seller, I am still psyched.

Hominick vs Garza, did you see Graza's flying triangle at UFC 129? Nuff said. And Hominick fighting for his contract, probably.

Cote vs Sakara, both very exciting fighters, wonder whether Sakara's unfortunate KO against Stann was a fluke, his jaw will definitely be put to the test by Cote!

Diabate is ALWAYS entertaining, Griggs is just thick as fuck, I'd like Diabate to win this, nothing against Griggs.

Bocek, well did you see his fight with Hazelett? Nuff fucking said 2.0, him and Dos Anjos are both BJJ BB's, so fuck yeah. I love those match ups.

Oh, and I also like Riddle, we'll see if he enters grinning zombie mode again, and Steven Siler, keeping an eye on him, he's fighting Elkins, both are on good runs, Siler doesn't have the fighter LOOK, but he brings it.

Seriously, the card is very very good, add GSP vs Condit and Kampmann vs Hendricks... Man.. belt unification bout AND nr 1 contender bout. Fuuuuuck yeah.

Most people on here follow MMA and know the matchups are exciting. People who don't follow the sport so closely might not even know Kampmann-Hendricks is the #1 contender fight as the ppv commercial (at least the one i'm getting) is only showcasing the main event and nothing else. The card is exciting to me (Way i worded it was wrong i guess) but to casuals not so much
11/15/12 5:55 PM
Fernando Alonso

Brigham -

Dana has already said he thinks they overpriced the tickets.

Seriously? That's like Roger Goodell saying NFL games are overpriced. Phone Post
11/15/12 5:56 PM
Letibleu
1611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its not that people arent interested in the main event, its that the price of the seat isnt worth the event. I bet that many more people will be packed in bars. This event will do great on PPV.

I bet Dana will:

a) pretend there was no issue selling tickets
b) blame people nervous about the injury curse changing the card (LOL)
c) blame illegal streaming (somehow)

There are a bunch of factors responsible for shitty ticket sales to date. Doesnt matter which spin is used to explain it.
11/15/12 6:02 PM
6ULDV8
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SunnyKO'd my SN - 

Fantastic card and probably one of the most stacked we'll see this millenia.

Why, the UFC would be silly to sell a seat for less than a hundred million billion jillion dollars!

They're losing money giving tickets away as cheap as they are!

11/15/12 6:15 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 11/15/12 6:17 PM

injuries have hurt the UFC big time and causes people to take more caution in buying tickets, scheduling airfare, hotel rooms, etc...

the UFC needs to make sure they replace pulled fights with equal or better fights to give the marketplace more certainty.

and tuf on friday nights have also hurt the ufc in canada.

11/15/12 6:56 PM
6ULDV8
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prince Edward Island is one of the most beautiful places on Earth during the summer months.

They have red mud and shit.

11/15/12 7:36 PM
Argo

1. High ticket prices + so-so undercard

2. Huge Canadian football playoff game on Sunday (45K+ tix sold this week) is eating up late supply of ticket buyers.

Hockey is no factor.
11/15/12 7:52 PM
SunnyKO'd my SN
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pancake Syrup - 
SunnyKO'd my SN - 

Most people on here follow MMA and know the matchups are exciting. People who don't follow the sport so closely might not even know Kampmann-Hendricks is the #1 contender fight as the ppv commercial (at least the one i'm getting) is only showcasing the main event and nothing else. The card is exciting to me (Way i worded it was wrong i guess) but to casuals not so much

Yeah, well then I kind agree with you. Personally I love the card, but of course, I can see how casuals might not know many of these names.

The problem is the UFC is unable to grow fighters' names. Pride was really good at making stars, the UFC is not. So guys who would be legends by 25 in Pride, are still virtually unknown in the UFC.

Fans who pay attention understand this, and notice who is good themselves, but most "fans" would still rather watch Tito fight Dan Severn in a battle of the slipped discs and senior discounts, than watch Charles Oliveria (who?) fight Chan Sung Jung (who?.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.