UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Anyone PC gaming with surround sound?

11/16/12 12:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like a huge pain in the ass. Right now I'm running three 50ft analog cables from the analog outs of my motherboard to my receiver. The problem is since it's analog and I've got the PC and the receiver plugged into different outlets, along with millions of other things in each, there is noticeable buzz.

What do you all do? As far as I can tell, the only way to get digital surround sound from 99% of games is to have a separate soundcard that does DTS or AC3 encoding, around $80. Is that really what everyone is doing?

11/16/12 1:00 AM
Prohibited
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just used the hdmi from my graphics card to my amp, all works well with no buzzing :)
I have a 6850 btw Phone Post
11/16/12 12:33 PM
orcus

Ah, I had thought uncompressed surround couldn't go over HDMI, but it's only optical that doesn't have enough bandwidth for it.

So what does your receiver say it's being fed? 5.1 PCM? Dolby Pro Logic?

11/17/12 2:20 AM
Jack Carter
764 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use "Surround Sound" headphones. Works perfectly.

11/18/12 11:04 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Carter - 

I use "Surround Sound" headphones. Works perfectly.

This is what I do as well

11/19/12 3:09 AM
Prohibited
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah it says PCM when I switch it on, can change it with the amps settings though :) Phone Post
11/25/12 2:23 PM
nickgjj

I have 7.1 wireless Sony surround system for my computer. Just plugs into my sound card. No wires at all :) Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.