UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How GSP made millions while injured

11/16/12 1:27 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Watch UFC 154 PPV Live on The UG!

Prior to his performance winning win over Erick Silva at UFC 153 last month, Jon Fitch had fought just once in 18 months, which left him woefully short of money, and concerned he would need a day job if he lost.

Despite a lifetime record that is the best in modern UFC history for any fighter who has never won a world championship, if Fitch had no fights, he had no money.

"The economy itself is slow," explained Fitch. "It's a lot harder to make money outside the UFC now, as far as sponsors and stuff go. The sponsors have kinda dried up. The appearances have almost dried up."

"You don't want to start doing appearances for like $500, and then everyone hears that, and they never offer you anything higher than that even if the economy comes back."

"If I still lived in Indiana, it wouldn't be such as much an issue, but I live in California, and it's expensive. Even the cost of food at the store is more expensive."

"If you're not fighting, you're not getting paid. It's not a comment in any way to pay scales or anything. It's just a simple fact: If you don't fight, you don't get paid."

As reported by MMAJunkie for USA Today, that is not the case with GSP. Due to a torn ACL in his right knee, prior to tomorrow night's showdown with Carlos Condit, GSP fought exactly zero times in the last 18 months. During that period he made millions.

Just in the last 12 months St-Pierre has signed lucrative endorsement deals with companies such as Coca-Cola, Google and Bacardi. He's got a deal with HarperCollins to write a book that he describes as part autobiography and part philosophy ("kind of like 'The Art of War,'" St-Pierre said). He's also renewed his apparel deal with Under Armour and signed one with noted MMA equipment manufacturer Hayabusa, all despite not setting foot in the UFC octagon since April of 2011.

St-Pierre currently has 14 endorsement deals with each paying him somewhere in the six-figure range. If you tally up the numbers from past and present deals, his income outside the cage is well into eight figures, with much of it coming in the past year alone.

"He's a superstar, and he was a superstar when we met him," said Mike Fonseca of Creative Artists Agency (CAA), which has represented St-Pierre for the past four years. "We just had to take him and figure out how we were going to market him."

"The first two years there were a lot of brands that wouldn't meet with us, wouldn't take our calls on this, and basically said, listen, we work with you on other clients, but this is not a sport we're interested in."

"We spent a lot of time with the Coke team in those meetings, getting them used to Georges and how they can use him. They're a very risk-averse company, but to Georges' credit, people fall in love with him."

"I think what they want is a good athlete, somebody who has success in the sport, but also somebody who carries himself well outside of the sport," St-Pierre said. "They want a good spokesman and role model with a good image. That's who I am."

"There's no doubt that a guy like Georges St-Pierre helps the sport and the overall business," said UFC President White. "He's a guy you can rely on in every way, shape and form. He's a guy you can build your business around. You don't have to worry at night that you're going to wake up tomorrow with TMZ calling you saying crazy s---. Not with him."

Read entire article...

11/16/12 1:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP money is another level...

11/16/12 1:36 PM
RayRaysFunhouse
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Art of War, as interpreted by Geroges Saint Pierre Phone Post
11/16/12 1:38 PM
hubris
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

would you really want this guy representing your product?

11/16/12 1:40 PM
Ansari
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hubris - would you really want this guy representing your product?

"Yes" - Coca-Cola, Google and Bacardi

11/16/12 1:40 PM
letsgobois
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Burn

11/16/12 1:42 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course GSP is much higher the marketing totem pole than Fitch, and the sports world is 100% capitalism. Most people have to pay to play, and the 0,01% make the millions.

Of course that being said, that's why guys like Fitch that only try to win but not to be all around pleaser in a prize fighting game and marketing world, just don't get it IMO.

You have to set yourself up for success in this arena as well as the fight game itself if you want to make bank.
11/16/12 1:44 PM
RayRaysFunhouse
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ansari -

And Geico. Phone Post
11/16/12 1:45 PM
RayRaysFunhouse

(so easy a caveman can do it, for the dumber UGers)
love y'all. Phone Post
11/16/12 1:53 PM
da Vinci 81
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easily the highest paid athlete in the sport. Phone Post
11/16/12 1:53 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't really get the comparison to Fitch, GSP is making more money than a few of the other champs combined Phone Post
11/16/12 1:57 PM
Triple_B
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That new Zzzquil I see on TV is tailor made for Fitch
11/16/12 1:58 PM
DOODE
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fitch can complain all he wants but until he has some exciting fights he is not going to get paid any more than he is now.

I have never bought a UFC PPV. I only watch the fights once they get to network tv, (UFC Unleashed, Fuel cards, etc).

And you know what, I don't remember EVER seeing Fitch fight on free tv.

The dude (or his fighting style rather) is just not marketable, which is why he doesn't have the name recognition or sponsors.
11/16/12 1:58 PM
Crooklyn
678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!

GSP is everything Jon Jones is not. The other guys could learn a lot from his example.

11/16/12 2:05 PM
Kirik
1598 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
DrunkenBatman -  St-Pierre currently has 14 endorsement deals with each paying him somewhere in the six-figure range. If you tally up the numbers from past and present deals, his income outside the cage is well into eight figures, with much of it coming in the past year alone.

8 figure income? Don't be fucking silly. Phone Post

GSP has absolutely made over $10,000,000 from sponsorships. That is why Dana cracks up when Rory MacDonald for example says he would never fight him. GSP has tens of millions of dollards in the bank, and a fight to take that kind of earning power would be taken by anyone on the sport, at any weight, hell, male of female.

11/16/12 2:06 PM
UGCTT croy_00
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crooklyn - 

GSP is everything Jon Jones is not. The other guys could learn a lot from his example.

What's that? White and he can drive? Lol jk. Jones needs to say fuck it and become a villan. He bitches about Sonnen doing it all the time but let's be honest, the guy can talk his way to a title after a huge loss.
11/16/12 2:10 PM
MartinLav

And he probably made more money (according to close sources) with RushFit then all theses 14 endorsements together.
11/16/12 2:11 PM
MartinLav

Sippy Cuppy - I wonder what % Zuffa gets when a UFC fighter is sponsored

50%?

The UFC charge a flat fee for a sponsor to be allowed inside the octogon. I doubt they see any money from endorsements.
11/16/12 2:12 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
770 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11/16/12 2:13 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
770 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is still killa ^ ***

11/16/12 2:17 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RayRaysFunhouse - 
Ansari -

And Geico. Phone Post

ROR

11/16/12 2:23 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
440 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hell I'd fight not to lose to if I had millions on the line as well Phone Post
11/16/12 2:56 PM
json123

Crooklyn - 

True but guys need to be themselves rather than try to be like someone else. The one thing I do like about GSP is that he does not discuss his personal life that much, no pictures, no twitter, no facebook, basically nothing. More guys need to do this.
11/16/12 3:01 PM
hustlewestbrook

da Vinci 81 - Easily the highest paid athlete in the sport. Phone Post
In for "Anderson Silva money" gif Phone Post
11/16/12 3:06 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crooklyn -

GSP is everything Jones wants everyone to think about him. But he isn't, which is the problem. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.