UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Don’t Get Caught In The Hype

11/16/12 3:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Warning: Another Crossfit thread.

I saw this post from my friend Fred Fornicola and thought it was a good one.

"The concept of working hard, being result oriented and passionate about what you do and believing that it is the best way to do it is the commonality that we all possess regardless of our approach to training.  As most of us know, CrossFit has caught on like wildfire and being a part of the organization has become a quest for many people. CrossFit publicly claims that injuries are a part of training (great way to cover up unsafe practices by admitting them ahead of time) and people - especially folks who don’t have the recovery ability, flexibility and athleticism to perform some of these movements are wearing their injuries like a badge of honor. Utterly ridiculous. I also don’t feel it is necessary to bury yourself in a workout to make it worth while and productive, but hey, these people do get results. They get stronger, leaner and in great condition, assuming they can cut the muster and make it through. CrossFit kind of reminds me of the military going into battle “we can sacrifice a few men for the greater glory” and that they have. Here is an article which I hope works via the link about someone factually speaking about CrossFit and the concerns."

TAKU
11/16/12 4:29 PM
LordSeano
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted up when i get to the laptop

This concept of results orientation has been a real eye opener for me since I started 531 seriously.

I'd always had results in mind of being 'get stronger/bigger' but now i go in to every workout with a specific reps objective for the last work set in mind and try to beat it.

Its been a great motivator and a good way to track measurable day to day progress in strength. Phone Post
11/17/12 6:51 PM
Shortkick
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT nice post Taku Phone Post
11/17/12 7:10 PM
torquemada
282 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree whole heartedly. Phone Post
11/18/12 4:28 AM
Chocolate Shatner
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice.
11/19/12 8:00 AM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back when i used to regularly do conditioning programs at the start of BJJ practice there were other schools who would absolutely destroy their students in a workout as a warmup before training. They would then point out some of their super athletic team members as proof that it works. My reply was always that it worked only because those few were already super athletic, and it left everyone else by the wayside.

There was a reason we were always neck and neck at tournaments besides not having even a brown belt (at the time).

Train smart and as hard as is appropriate. There is no workout that is one size fits all.
11/19/12 12:02 PM
paw
1424 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - Back when i used to regularly do conditioning programs at the start of BJJ practice there were other schools who would absolutely destroy their students in a workout as a warmup before training. They would then point out some of their super athletic team members as proof that it works. My reply was always that it worked only because those few were already super athletic, and it left everyone else by the wayside.

There was a reason we were always neck and neck at tournaments besides not having even a brown belt (at the time).

Train smart and as hard as is appropriate. There is no workout that is one size fits all.

*slow clap gif*

11/19/12 7:59 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/19/12 8:00 PM

I'm naming my kids Taku...all of them.

http://www.factionsc.com/

This is a way CF is meant to be IMHO

11/19/12 8:55 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/19/12 8:56 PM

AKO,

That's awesome!

RobinHood,

As Vermonter has pointed out in other threads, it may not truly be clear exactly how these athletes train unless you see it live and in person. That being said, what little I know of how GSP trains (as I've said in other threads) I would say that at least 50% is a waste of time.

TAKU 

11/20/12 3:19 AM
LordSeano
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RobinHood - 
RobinHood - This article left me with more questions then answers. Ok, the article tells me CrossFit is a fad, undisciplined, random but planned, unprofessional (cheap to buy a Box), high reps of heavy loads, causes injuries. Phone Post
{Sorry fat thumbs on iphone...}

The author fails to provide any perspective, ie what are the benefits, what have advocates tell us about Crossfit workouts. Are we truly to believe everything about Crossfit is bad/dangerous/deadly.

So what crossfitters lift horribly to make reps/time. I see awful sights of lifters in my regular commercial gym. Should we all point and laugh at them too!

My view of bodybuilders would generate lots of abusive responses too. Tanning oils, Roiding, show pony style dance offs.

I like how GSP trains willing to embrace all aspects of training regardless of where it comes from. Phone Post

Well you could argue that if the aim of bodybuilding is to build a huge physique then show it off in male beauty contests then all of those things (gay as they are) are very specific and supportive of that task.

I think the point about crossfit is that so often its methods are counter productive to its objectives
11/20/12 7:53 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say my main beef from my personal experience at Crossfit boxes is the poor form. My wife's CrossFit coach even admits this when I go in to workout or even just to watch my compete. A lot of coaches are aware of that though and stress form over time. Just because athletes in the Games trying to win hundreds of thousands of dollars are using poor form to burn through workouts doesn't mean they always do. Likewise just because there are Youtube clips of poor form doesn't mean that's what CrossFit "is". That's just some people from some box.

Personally I don't think CrossFit is the optimal way to train for anything other than getting better at CrossFit workouts. That's why I don't train it. I just have a lot of CF friends and my wife does it, so sometimes I'll "WOD with them" to hang out. That said, it is a very cool community. Many people that would not workout, workout seriously, and/or move past machines and zumba do CrossFit because of the community within the box. To me, that is a fucking awesome thing. Every box I've been to has been a diverse collection of people along a spectrum from in shape athletes to obese people. All are cheered on, not looked down upon, and are congratulated for every bit of progress they make. It's really cool to see. It's the community that makes CrossFit popular. Not the programming.

You throw anybody into any program be it HIT, KB's, yoga, etc and you'll see zealots develop. That's not exclusively CrossFit either.
11/20/12 8:17 AM
torquemada
282 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adventure Runner - I'd say my main beef from my personal experience at Crossfit boxes is the poor form. My wife's CrossFit coach even admits this when I go in to workout or even just to watch my compete. A lot of coaches are aware of that though and stress form over time. Just because athletes in the Games trying to win hundreds of thousands of dollars are using poor form to burn through workouts doesn't mean they always do. Likewise just because there are Youtube clips of poor form doesn't mean that's what CrossFit "is". That's just some people from some box.

Personally I don't think CrossFit is the optimal way to train for anything other than getting better at CrossFit workouts. That's why I don't train it. I just have a lot of CF friends and my wife does it, so sometimes I'll "WOD with them" to hang out. That said, it is a very cool community. Many people that would not workout, workout seriously, and/or move past machines and zumba do CrossFit because of the community within the box. To me, that is a fucking awesome thing. Every box I've been to has been a diverse collection of people along a spectrum from in shape athletes to obese people. All are cheered on, not looked down upon, and are congratulated for every bit of progress they make. It's really cool to see. It's the community that makes CrossFit popular. Not the programming.

You throw anybody into any program be it HIT, KB's, yoga, etc and you'll see zealots develop. That's not exclusively CrossFit either.
Excellent post. Phone Post
11/22/12 10:38 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, man. Every once in a while my brain comes up with a coherent thought that I can share. ;) Happy Thanksgiving.
11/22/12 10:46 AM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku - 

AKO,

That's awesome!

RobinHood,

As Vermonter has pointed out in other threads, it may not truly be clear exactly how these athletes train unless you see it live and in person. That being said, what little I know of how GSP trains (as I've said in other threads) I would say that at least 50% is a waste of time.

TAKU 

Hey Taku, what would you say is a waste of time in GSP's camps?

What are your thoughts on Chaimberg as a S&C coach?

Just a question, Bro ;-)
11/22/12 1:27 PM
Taku

"You throw anybody into any program be it HIT, KB's, yoga, etc and you'll see zealots develop. That's not exclusively CrossFit either." <---This is true.

TAKU

11/22/12 3:01 PM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - Dont think GSP trains with Chaimberg anymore.

Good thoughts from the original post. Like the comment on how CF seems to rationalize injuries and treat them as badges of honor.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.