UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gilbert Melendez Injury Update!

11/16/12 6:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sergio88
502 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From MMAHEAT.Com

According to our friends at TATAME, Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez will not be able to fight Pat Healy in January. Trainer Cesar Gracie says the Strikeforce Lightweight Champ's shoulder has not healed enough for him to train, an the Dr. says he can't fight yet. So, they will focus on recovery and hopefully debut in the UFC soon.

11/16/12 6:38 PM
PhallicObjekt
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he gets better soon. Gil is one of the best lightweights fighting currently. Phone Post
11/16/12 6:39 PM
Sergio88
502 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would love if Gil gets the winner of Cerrone/Pettis for his UFC Debut

11/16/12 6:42 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
845 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really sucks for Healy, he's been waiting to get that big fight for a while now Phone Post
11/16/12 6:44 PM
yellow wrkahlc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love if Gil fought Pat in the UFC. 

Healy can beat him. Fair is fair.

11/16/12 7:07 PM
JoeMimic
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something absolutely stinks in here. Phone Post
11/16/12 7:08 PM
huggy bear

Honestly I'm happy(not 4 Gil being injured) because Healey in my opinion never deserved a title shot and no one wanted 2 see this fight. Hopefully Gilbert gets a #1 contender fight and its against Eddie Alvarez(wanted 2 see fight for years).

Melendez is a warrior and wouldn't fake an injury to all you conspiracy theorist which I know are many. Phone Post
11/16/12 7:12 PM
JoeMimic
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Yeah five straight wins shouldn't earn you a shot. People might not have wanted to see it but Healy earned his shot in my opinion. Phone Post
11/16/12 7:12 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Gil gets better soon.  He's a great guy and a great fighter.

11/16/12 7:16 PM
JoeMimic

I'm not saying Gil wasn't legit injured when they were supposed to fight in September. I truly believe he was.

But when your options are fight Healy and risk your title and momentum going to the UFC in a lose/lose fight for you or just say your shoulder isn't ready and waltz into the UFC as the last Strikeforce LW champ and on a winning streak which would you pick? Phone Post
11/16/12 7:20 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
845 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Healy undoubtedly deserved the shot. 6-1 in Strikeforce and won 5 straight. Don't care what others say but I was intrigued by that fight. Phone Post
11/16/12 7:23 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 11/16/12 7:27 PM

I dont buy it...  it just makes more sense for him to go to the UFC and fight someone relevant and potentially for a title instead of risking a loss against Pat Healy.

Could we see Gilbert vs the winner of Diaz/Bendo at UFC 157?

11/16/12 7:32 PM
yellow wrkahlc

MMALOGIC - 

I dont buy it...  it just makes more sense for him to go to the UFC and fight someone relevant and potentially for a title instead of risking a loss against Pat Healy.

Could we see Gilbert vs the winner of Diaz/Bendo at UFC 157?

What makes Gil any more deserving of a shot in the UFC than Healy?

If he comes to the UFC, I want his first fight to be against Healy.

11/16/12 7:35 PM
JoeMimic

^ Because Pat has a huge reputation as a journeyman fighter and his run in Strikeforce has done nothing to quiet that talk despite going 6-1 with his only loss being to former champ Josh Thomson. Gil is considered a consensus top ten 155'er and has been for years. Plus they'll be able to push the champion angle. Phone Post
11/16/12 7:40 PM
yellow wrkahlc

JoeMimic -  ^ Because Pat has a huge reputation as a journeyman fighter and his run in Strikeforce has done nothing to quiet that talk despite going 6-1 with his only loss being to former champ Josh Thomson. Gil is considered a consensus top ten 155'er and has been for years. Plus they'll be able to push the champion angle. Phone Post

I'm tired of angles. I'm tired of PPV sales being the reason for title shots. I'm tired of name value outweighing deserving fighters.

They have a chance to do this right. Don't take Strikeforce champions and put them in there with #1 contenders. Have them fight twice before a title shot. Warm-up, THEN title eliminator. More credible.

Besides, it's not like 155 doesn't have contenders lined up already.

11/16/12 7:49 PM
JoeMimic

^ They do have a chance to do this right but I'm not holding my breath. They probably won't even put Healy on the main card if they keep him on there. Phone Post
11/16/12 7:55 PM
JoeMimic

The one fight that makes too much sense not to book for the final strikeforce card is Healy versus Jorge Masvidal. Masvidal wants to fight and Pat has talked about fighting him and Jorge beat Pat's twin Ryan on a earlier Strikeforce card.

So we'll get Pat and Jorge Gurgel..... Phone Post
11/16/12 7:58 PM
slugshot331
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc - 

I would love if Gil fought Pat in the UFC. 

Healy can beat him. Fair is fair.

Hey buddy.

If this fight ends up happening, and Gil beats Healy, you owe me a beer.

Hope you didn't forget.

11/16/12 8:03 PM
yellow wrkahlc

JoeMimic -  The one fight that makes too much sense not to book for the final strikeforce card is Healy versus Jorge Masvidal. Masvidal wants to fight and Pat has talked about fighting him and Jorge beat Pat's twin Ryan on a earlier Strikeforce card.

So we'll get Pat and Jorge Gurgel..... Phone Post

Did you just mix Gurgel and Masivdal up?

Slugshot, I drink Miller High Life. Have a cold one for me, buddeh.

11/16/12 8:12 PM
JoeMimic

No I just meant it makes too much sense to match up Healy/Masvidal that they'll screw it up and put Healy against Gurgel instead. Phone Post
11/16/12 8:22 PM
yellow wrkahlc

Ah.

lol I thought that was joke, but at the same time, you were being serious above, so i didn't know if it was a typo. Bravo, sir.

11/17/12 5:22 AM
Sergio88

Lol Phone Post
11/17/12 5:37 AM
Bromovich
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn it's a shame he won't be on the final Strikeforce card :-( Phone Post
11/17/12 7:00 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

Sounds like he doesn't want to risk anything and just hurry up and fight in the ufc Phone Post
11/17/12 9:26 AM
JoeMimic

Anyone else follow Gil on instagram? Posted something five hours ago from Lucky Strike (a bowling alley) in Frisco.... #ducksauce Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.