UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Bass God - Dave Holland

11/16/12 9:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/16/12 9:42 PM

Thanks jman for the phrase "bass god" Applied to Michael Manring -- hell yeah. I've got a handful of others in mind, too... so wanted to start here.

"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" is a tune written by Charles Mingus (bass God of Gods), in memoriam for saxophonist Lester Young. It's been done over and over again, sometimes by some great gutarists (Jeff Beck did a killer version, for one). But here's the first solo bass version I've heard. And from a living master... the great, great Dave Holland:

11/19/12 9:13 AM
jman
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great bass player, but that video was a bit...mmm boring to me. Then again I have musical ADD so take my opinion and throw it out the window.

I listened to the other Manring CD...wow talk about New Age. Just glad he came out with "Thonk" that thing is gold.
11/19/12 9:26 PM
Ali
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/19/12 9:38 PM
Yeah... Manring's got a lot of New Age. (At least McGill/Manring/Stevens is rockin'... the tunes aren't memorable particularly but they do burn!)

Your typical Holland record is 10x better than your typical Manring record (! -- In a way I mean it, and in a way I don't. They're not remotely comparable. But Holland's various bands have done some of the best of modern mainstream jazz records, at least -- granted, you have to like that sort of thing).

And sorry Pork-pie Hat bored you. I think it's riveting. And talk about tone.... even though it's cheating to use such a good bass (!). De gustibus...

Try this one. A Coltrane cover, a bit more uptempo a piece, "Mr PC" (which was a a tribute to bassist Paul Chambers). Audio only from his solo bass record, One's All.

11/20/12 12:04 AM
jman
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow that was great, liked that one a lot thanks!
11/20/12 1:22 AM
Ali

Edited: 11/20/12 1:33 AM
Cool! Glad you dug that. It's actually probably my favorite thing on the solo record. That kills me. I saw Holland at UCLA 6 or 7 years ago, with a big band. It was really something special. I love the ECM records he did around the time of "Prime Directive" - mostly quintet records.

Here's the same tune, Mr. PC, played live at the same show as the prior vid. I think (in both cases actually) I prefer what's on the album, but it's cool to get video of him playing it, too, so I repeat.

And I'm re-considering the next "bass god" thread I was considering before... I fear it might bore anyone but the most committed musical weirdos. Hmmm. I'll think about it.
11/20/12 7:49 AM
jman

Wow that one was even better than the album IMO. Crazy to be onstage with just 4 strings and completely take over...just incredible.

Feel free to go crazy and post whatever. I see the Soundground as this awesome Whiteboard where we can post and create our own mini-webpages sharing some incredible music.

Keep it up man, seriously!!! Keep posting stuff, I probably won't see eye to eye on everything, but I certainly look forward to all of the stuff you throw out there.
11/20/12 10:26 AM
Ali

Edited: 11/20/12 10:40 AM
Thanks Jimmy -- of course we won't see eye to eye on everything. If we did we'd know all the same music already, I bet! And yeah, I'll impose weird chit on people on occasion... it's just a question of how to, or whether to, ease into it sometimes. When I used to do a jazz show (at a university radio station, I mean) I'd often find that I could play a sort of historical development of something and get people listening to the end. And if I started at the end, I'd get irate callers... "what is this chit???"

Holland came up playing with Miles Davis. He's a venerable old master at this point. Yeah, takes over a stage by himself. I liked the trio he was in with John Abercrombie and Jack DeJohnette (the "Gateway Trio"). And for the last long while, he's been a really great, great bandleader as well.

Here he is with a killer quintet (after a long solo intro!) The drummer, Billy Kilson, was one of the most impressive I'd ever seen, when I got to the UCLA show. But the whole band is pretty ridiculous. And the tune is a very interesting mix of "old and new" (to borrow a cliche). I'm guessing, because of the long trombone "solo", that this is a Robin Eubanks tune. The bass and drums behind that solo are freaking great.

11/21/12 12:39 PM
hugomma
945 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking forward to checking out Holland, particularly "Mr. PC".  Always loved that tune.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.