UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tattoo artist suing THQ over UFC Undisputed

11/16/12 11:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KingGo
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If condit came up w the idea to do a lion and the artist materializes it, sounds like a collaborative effort. And seein as how it's condit's skin, I think that makes him 51% share holder. I rule in favor in condit, and award the tattoo artist no points Phone Post
11/17/12 12:10 AM
ChaosOverkill
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol how dumb, he's only wasting his time and potentially lots of money on legal fees in the long run if THQ never can pay

11/17/12 12:19 AM
Tombmatter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like buying a painting or piece of music, you can destroy it anyway you want to, but you cant copy it, unless there is a contract saying otherwise.
11/17/12 12:21 AM
Mark It Zero
372 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got a tattoo on my back that I drew, the artist asked if he could take a picture of the completed work for his album. I had no problem with it at the time. A buddy of mine saw one his friends post a picture on Facebook a few years later of his new tattoo and it was identical to mine, except for the color. I was livid but wouldn't even think about filing a lawsuit over that. Phone Post
11/17/12 12:21 AM
quality

He's probably hoping for a settlement. I think if someone tattoos your body the tattoo is yours and you can choose what you do with it. The tattoo artist was paid for full rights since it is on your body, no matter how original the work is.

As a judge in the United States I think this is a frivolous lawsuit. Hopefully they counter sue and set precedent. So that bullshit like this and the Mike Tyson tattoo in The Hangover don't happen again. I also hope THQ collects damages from this asshole tattoo artist so that it can teach people lessons about making stupid lawsuits because you have $100 in your pocket and feel you can cash in.
11/17/12 12:36 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol of all the sports games ever made that real tattoos of the athletes, I have never heard of this lol. Phone Post
11/17/12 12:37 AM
dxgnr8
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why doesn't he try to sue the UFC as well? After all, they are publicly broadcasting "his" image to potentially millions of people without obtaining his permission!

Holy shit, I hope this doesn't give him any ideas and he goes through with it and wins, wouldn't that be ironic for Dana after cracking down on Internet piracy! Phone Post
11/17/12 12:41 AM
Tombmatter

They are broadcasting the original, not unlicensed copy of it.
11/17/12 12:43 AM
shiki31

This guy is a clown. How can you claim ownership over someone's skin? The courts better not let this case get too crazy because it'll set a precedence for other greedy assholes. Phone Post
11/17/12 12:46 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If that guy wins he will basically kill real tattoos of athletes in video games forever lol Phone Post
11/17/12 12:51 AM
3 Sided Square
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  If that guy wins he will basically kill real tattoos of athletes in video games forever lol Phone Post

Not really. Guys will probably just ask for rights to the image from the artist and they either hand it over or risk negative advertisement or even worse loss of business. Being an athlete's tat artist probably has way more upside (networking with other rich athletes/celebs/etc) than a small royalty fee from a video game.
11/17/12 12:52 AM
Blueyevil
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I read that the guy who did Tyson's tattoo had Tyson sign something saying that if his tattoo was used by anyone else that he would be compebsated for it. That is why he got a settlement for the use in The Hangover 2. He had the brains to think a head knowing he was tattooing a celeberaty. This guy is just a fuck nuts.

11/17/12 12:55 AM
Tombmatter

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  If that guy wins he will basically kill real tattoos of athletes in video games forever lol Phone Post

Or they could stop being 9/11 terrorists and pay license fees to the artists. Im sure Dana would agree.
11/17/12 12:57 AM
Blueyevil
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's an interesting lawsuit. Copyrighted works are copyrighted works, no matter whether they are painted on canvases or walls or the bodies of former heavyweight champions. Whitmill attaches to the lawsuit his copyright registration for the "Original Tattoo," as well as Tyson's signed release granting rights in the work. (He also includes some photos of himself with the boxer while applying the tattoo in 2003 in Las Vegas.)

11/17/12 12:59 AM
stonepony

torquemada -  So my tattoos aren't mine?

Can't wrap my head around that... Phone Post

The guy does have a perfectly legitimate case (or, he might). Your tattoos are yours obviously. But, like a logo or a painting or a famous photo, you can't reproduce it for profit.

The question is, does that apply to a model? The person who did the lipstick print on Britney's ass, they don't get paid by FHM or whatever magazine that prints a photo of it.

What about somebody who publishes a book featuring tattoos? Should the artist get paid then?

There are precedents for this, and the guy probably will get paid. Rasheed Wallace's tattoo was displayed in a Nike commercial. The artist sued, Nike pulled the commercial, and they settled out of court. The guy got paid.

The question is, does the tattoo artist have to establish a copyright claim first.
11/17/12 1:00 AM
stonepony

Gooner H Smith -  Reasons why foreigners hate America.... Phone Post

What makes you think other countries have more reasonable laws, or people that are less litigious? That retard who runs wikileaks might go to prison because he had sex with a girl and the condom broke (they call that rape).
11/17/12 1:01 AM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark It Zero -  I got a tattoo on my back that I drew, the artist asked if he could take a picture of the completed work for his album. I had no problem with it at the time. A buddy of mine saw one his friends post a picture on Facebook a few years later of his new tattoo and it was identical to mine, except for the color. I was livid but wouldn't even think about filing a lawsuit over that. Phone Post

That would piss me the fuck off, too.

Again, this Escobedo guy is just looking for a payday. Pathetic. I hope a lot of people hear about this, and loses a good amount of clients over it. Greedy fucks like him are what's wrong with the world.

11/17/12 1:06 AM
MasterofMartialArts
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do my sideburns a certain way so ill be FUCKED if somebody copies, how much does copyright license cost? Phone Post
11/17/12 1:25 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Tombmatter -

Or they could stop being 9/11 terrorists and pay license fees to the artists. Im sure Dana would agree.
You think the people that make NBA 2k want to track down every single tattoo artist that's put something on a players arm, and then pay them? Not worth it. Phone Post
11/17/12 1:44 AM
Bucephalus

Interesting case... and would be an interesting precedent.
11/17/12 1:47 AM
ortoPsy

FinestScotch -

Complete BS.

You tattoo'd someone, contributing to their likeness.

Likeness is the terminology used for these games licensing rights (rights to use the likeness of X fighter). Therefore, unless you agree with the fighter ahead of time that you get a piece of his likeness, you having created the art does not entitle you to jack shit.

You've been paid for your work already, you greedy POS.

well put. this Phone Post
11/17/12 1:48 AM
ortoPsy

i cut his hair, do you think i have a case? Phone Post
11/17/12 1:52 AM
Ingo Weigold
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMANUTS.COM, By Fans, For Fans!
Gay Phone Post
11/17/12 2:11 AM
GelderdEnd

What a complete and utter arsehole....I hope he doesn't get a fucking dime Phone Post
11/17/12 2:20 AM
CindyO

Wonder how many other tattoo artists will follow suit with their "celebrity" customers!

Cindy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.