UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tattoo artist suing THQ over UFC Undisputed

11/17/12 2:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

torquemada - So my tattoos aren't mine?

Can't wrap my head around that... Phone Post
. Phone Post
11/17/12 2:30 AM
Bucephalus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/17/12 2:30 AM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong - 

. Phone Post

So you're saying the books you buy aren't yours if you're not allowed to photocopy them and distribute them for profit?

That video game company copied an artist's work and is profiting from it.
11/17/12 2:40 AM
Bucephalus

I guess pacemakers and other mechanical implants are fair game too.. After all, they're part of the person so they can do whatever they want with it.. including copying it and using the copies for profit.. right?
11/17/12 2:41 AM
DeanoBirko

Lol at someone owning your skin. Get the fuck out. Phone Post
11/17/12 2:42 AM
Tat2tillidie
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc -

As a fellow artist, I can see where he's coming from.

Unfortunately, it's obvious he's just trying to get paid. It's a fucking tattoo. Not a hanging piece of art work in a museum or a clothing line logo.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Yup it's a pathetic way to collect a check ... Work harder and do prints if you wanna have a pissing contest over copyrighted artwork ... Phone Post
11/17/12 2:43 AM
Tat2tillidie
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO -

Wonder how many other tattoo artists will follow suit with their "celebrity" customers!

Cindy

Who knows its a greedy industry ... Phone Post
11/17/12 2:57 AM
HexRei

You have got to be motherfucking kidding me. If you paint something on my skin, you get to sue me if someone photographs me with it? lolololol
11/17/12 3:14 AM
yellow wrkahlc

Bucephalus - 
UGCTT_buchu8oolong - 

. Phone Post

So you're saying the books you buy aren't yours if you're not allowed to photocopy them and distribute them for profit?

Hope to God you're trolling.

THQ isn't profiting off of a lion tattoo. No one's going, "OH MAN, I CAN'T WAIT TO BUY UFC 3 AND PLAY AS CARLOS CONDIT, HE'S GOT THAT BITCHIN' LION FACE ON HIS RIBS, BRO."

I wanna facepalm to shit out of my face right now...with my palm.

11/17/12 3:17 AM
camozzi
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guy is a d bag. My tattoo artist and I have talked about this. In his eyes, the more my tattoos are advertised the better for his business.

He's not trying to collect a one time settlement, it's worth more to him to advertise and tell people he does my work if I'm on tv.

The fuck outta here, like your the only guy to draw a lion!

If I were Carlos, I'd tell THQ to put a black smudge on me for the game instead of that tattoo. Phone Post
11/17/12 3:22 AM
yellow wrkahlc

11/17/12 3:26 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc -

I am getting this tattoo'd on myself tomorrow. Phone Post
11/17/12 3:30 AM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucephalus -
UGCTT_buchu8oolong - 

. Phone Post

Are you serious?

It's a commissioned piece of art on my body.

You do see the difference here no?

Better examples if you want to argue please. Phone Post
11/17/12 3:33 AM
yellow wrkahlc

Called Carlos, asked him if he wanted me to redo his tat. Needless to say, it'll be ready by the time he steps into the cage with GSP.

And they said Escobedo was the only one who knew his lions...

11/17/12 3:34 AM
Drunkenirishfc
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disgusting Phone Post
11/17/12 4:04 AM
Troll Hunter10
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc -

Called Carlos, asked him if he wanted me to redo his tat. Needless to say, it'll be ready by the time he steps into the cage with GSP.

Awesome. Phone Post
11/17/12 4:20 AM
Bucephalus

Whitmill v. Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Victor Whitmill is a tattoo artist that created the artistic design on the face of the famous boxer Mike Tyson. Whitmill did not sign over his copyright to Tyson, therefore the ink on Tyson's face is exclusively Whitmill's. When Warner Brothers released a movie called The Hangover Part II, a copy of Whitmill's design for Tyson's tattoo was displayed on actor Ed Helms. It was not only featured as a main part of the movie, but was also advertised on all of the movie's posters. This reproduction of Tyson's tattoo proves to be a derivative work of Whitmill's design. Because Whitmill is the copyright holder, it is up to him to decide how his art is sold, used, or displayed. He quickly registered Tyson's tattoo, hoping to have a case against Warner Brothers. He asked the Warner Brothers not release their movie, or at least digitally change the tattoo to look different. In his article The Copyright Implications of Tattoos, Timothy C. Bradley says, "By borrowing a painting from a friend one does not obtain the right to create reproductions of that painting. Similarly, by acting as a canvas, Tyson does not obtain the rights to recreate his tattoo on others." Granted Whitmill and the Warner Brothers corporation are not friends, you can see how these examples fit together. Warner Brothers said their use of the tattoo was a parody, which is an exception to copyright law, so this case was settled out of court. But Whitmill made sure his voice was at least heard.

Munster v. Swartz

Amina Munster is a model who proudly, and legally, wears her tattoos in her photographs. She received a custom piece from a tattoo artist by the name of Tim Kern. A little less than a year after she got her tattoo, tattoo artist Brandon Swartz duplicated her piece onto a customer of his own. Munster is a public figure. She models for the Suicide Girls agency, who is known for their images of women's bodies decorated with tattoos and piercings. She became upset when she noticed her tattoo was placed on another person without permission. Since Kern signed over his rights to her, she was entitled to do something about it. She confronted the infringement by registering her tattoo piece to ensure that something like this would not happen again. Munster never sued the tattoo artist, but has made it publicly aware that this act was not lawful. She claims that she is going to sue the next person that tries this act without permission.

Reed v. Wallace

Tattoo artist Mathew Reed created a custom piece for Rasheed Wallace. Wallace explained what he wanted on his arm and Reed drew it up. As you have learned from what you have read, this work was copyrighted as soon as the piece was finished on the paper or skin. But without permission from Reed, Wallace agreed to do a commercial with Nike. The ad focused on two of Wallace's tattoos, including the one done by Reed. It even went as far as to digitally recreate the work. When Reed saw the commercial, he took action and asked that the commercial be taken off the air, and any form of it off the internet. Obviously, as you can see, I have the commercial embedded here from YouTube. Whatever agreement was made, it did not successfuly stop this infringement from getting to the public.
11/17/12 4:25 AM
chaplinshouse
786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc - 

Unfortunately, it's obvious he's just trying to get paid. It's a fucking tattoo. Not a hanging piece of art work in a museum or a clothing line logo.

if u can see where he's coming from why is it the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard?

11/17/12 4:30 AM
Bucephalus

Edited: 11/17/12 4:30 AM
I know many here would rather just post "what a dick!" (or some other meaningful insight).. but the fact is that it's an interesting case and one that is not without merit - at least more than has been given by many on this thread.
11/17/12 4:40 AM
yellow wrkahlc

chaplinshouse - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

if u can see where he's coming from why is it the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard?

It's understandable that he's upset over something he made being used without his permission. But I find it ridiculous because it's a tattoo. I've been commissioned multiple times for tats, and not once would even think of doing something like this.

He speaks as if they used the tattoo as a main focus of the game, and they're solely profitting off of that. It's obvious he just wants money. It's one thing if THQ was taking the tat and placing it on shirts in the game. But his case is just, for lack of a better term, retarded. The cases that Bucephalus posted above do have some ground to them, minus the first. Just another case of an artist being a greedy fuck.

It's ink that someone paid Escobedo to place on their body for life. How can he retain rights to that? THQ used Carlos' likeness, which means every bit of him. They're well within their legal rights to do so, and I don't see him getting money from them. Not one cent. Maybe a UFC 3 50% Off coupon, but that's it.

Greedy man is greedy.

11/17/12 4:43 AM
GelderdEnd

yellow wrkahlc -

Haha awesome!!!! Phone Post
11/17/12 4:47 AM
yellow wrkahlc

btw, LMFAO at such a generic tribal tattoo warranting a copyright and lawsuit. Tyson's artist must be soooo damn creative.

11/17/12 4:49 AM
shallowkal

MasterofMartialArts -
yellow wrkahlc -

This
I would be somewhat annoyed by that, but still. You are putting it on a fucking person. People probably steal the idea all the time and its not like its an insanely original piece of art. Phone Post
I can understand why he's doing it. I think he's trying to make some money. Its not like its a work of art tho, its just a fucking tattoo. Phone Post
11/17/12 4:52 AM
sockeye
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So if I decided to buy his lion artwork this would mean Carlos Conduit is mine for keeps? Phone Post
11/17/12 5:11 AM
NotJustA12er

You buy a tattoo in time . That's how it is measured, priced and paid for.
He doesn't own shit ! Phone Post
11/17/12 5:45 AM
chaplinshouse
786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc - 
chaplinshouse - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

It's understandable that he's upset over something he made being used without his permission. But I find it ridiculous because it's a tattoo. I've been commissioned multiple times for tats, and not once would even think of doing something like this.

He speaks as if they used the tattoo as a main focus of the game, and they're solely profitting off of that. It's obvious he just wants money. It's one thing if THQ was taking the tat and placing it on shirts in the game. But his case is just, for lack of a better term, retarded. The cases that Bucephalus posted above do have some ground to them, minus the first. Just another case of an artist being a greedy fuck.

It's ink that someone paid Escobedo to place on their body for life. How can he retain rights to that? THQ used Carlos' likeness, which means every bit of him. They're well within their legal rights to do so, and I don't see him getting money from them. Not one cent. Maybe a UFC 3 50% Off coupon, but that's it.

Greedy man is greedy.

yeah i agree 100%, i just can't relate with the guy even though im an artist of a different field, not even a little.   what a piece of shit.  I guarantee this guy is talking up how his work is on a "ufc champion" maybe Carlos should sue.  And even that suit as ridiculous as it would be, would have more merit since the dude is actually trying to profit off Carlos' name, unlike THQ. 

worst case scenario:  he gets a crazy idiot judge that rules in his favor.  then the flood gates of tattoo artists who's work is in video games would open and people would consider tat artists scumbags that aren't worth the risk of trusting (esp if you're famous)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.