UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tattoo artist suing THQ over UFC Undisputed

11/17/12 5:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol, THQ don't have any money! This asshole is trying to push every last inch out of a donkey with a broken leg. Phone Post
11/17/12 5:55 AM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chaplinshouse - 
yellow wrkahlc - 
chaplinshouse - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

As a fellow artist, I can see where he's coming from.

Unfortunately, it's obvious he's just trying to get paid. It's a fucking tattoo. Not a hanging piece of art work in a museum or a clothing line logo.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

if u can see where he's coming from why is it the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard?

It's understandable that he's upset over something he made being used without his permission. But I find it ridiculous because it's a tattoo. I've been commissioned multiple times for tats, and not once would even think of doing something like this.

He speaks as if they used the tattoo as a main focus of the game, and they're solely profitting off of that. It's obvious he just wants money. It's one thing if THQ was taking the tat and placing it on shirts in the game. But his case is just, for lack of a better term, retarded. The cases that Bucephalus posted above do have some ground to them, minus the first. Just another case of an artist being a greedy fuck.

It's ink that someone paid Escobedo to place on their body for life. How can he retain rights to that? THQ used Carlos' likeness, which means every bit of him. They're well within their legal rights to do so, and I don't see him getting money from them. Not one cent. Maybe a UFC 3 50% Off coupon, but that's it.

Greedy man is greedy.

yeah i agree 100%, i just can't relate with the guy even though im an artist of a different field, not even a little.   what a piece of shit.  I guarantee this guy is talking up how his work is on a "ufc champion" maybe Carlos should sue.  And even that suit as ridiculous as it would be, would have more merit since the dude is actually trying to profit off Carlos' name, unlike THQ. 

worst case scenario:  he gets a crazy idiot judge that rules in his favor.  then the flood gates of tattoo artists who's work is in video games would open and people would consider tat artists scumbags that aren't worth the risk of trusting (esp if you're famous)

That's what worries me the most. A chain reaction continuing. Tattoos are pieces of artwork, and it's totally acceptable to place copyrights on them. But it's a dirty trick to do so AFTER you see an opportunity for financial gain.

Seriously, Bucephalus, thanks for posting those. While I don't agree with you, it's good that people can read the difference between those last two cases and this one. The first case (Tyson case) you posted troubles me because it's almost identicle to this one. It's a bullshit case, but the guy got money, and so could Escobedo.

As i said before, I hope this story gets out in his area and he loses some clients over it. You can't trust people like that, and for good reason.

11/17/12 6:10 AM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish I had signed those proof of ownership papers when I got my tattoos. My artist demanded his property back....god I miss fapping wiith good ol righty. Phone Post
11/17/12 6:21 AM
john joe
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web monkey
imo: i would imagine that the permanent and non-retrievable tattooing of an artwork, commissioned by the recipient or other third-party, onto a person's body would on construction amount to a complete assignment of copyright in that item, rather than a mere license to 'wear' it. The tattoo is a part of Condit and a part of Condit's image rights, to dispose of as he/his image-right owners see fit.

source: trained as a lawyer before deciding to get a proper job, whereupon i started writing about cage-fighting

Stupid attempted bullshit money-grab; be interesting to see the court verdict on this one
11/17/12 6:28 AM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - imo: i would imagine that the permanent and non-retrievable tattooing of an artwork, commissioned by the recipient or other third-party, onto a person's body would on construction amount to a complete assignment of copyright in that item, rather than a mere license to 'wear' it. The tattoo is a part of Condit and a part of Condit's image rights, to dispose of as he/his image-right owners see fit.

source: trained as a lawyer before deciding to get a proper job, whereupon i started writing about cage-fighting

Stupid attempted bullshit money-grab; be interesting to see the court verdict on this one

Would this also apply to Wanderlei's tattoos?

I know they are both used in promotional items. I would imagine he bought the rights off the tattoo artist, correct?

11/17/12 6:43 AM
Sergio88
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. Phone Post
11/17/12 7:00 AM
Ryan Black
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really hope this doesn't work out in this guy's favor... because it is an obviously sleazy negative move that could change image-licensing laws, video games, action figures, etc. I'd hate to see that happen. Hopefully this guy gets properly called on his bullshit and this all gets squashed. Phone Post
11/17/12 7:14 AM
Dobba1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is fucking lame, the guy tattooed something on a fighter who paid for it. Does the guy want money every time Condit fights because its going to be on tv? It's a joke and a massive waste of time. Ps the tattoo is shit anyway! Phone Post
11/17/12 7:36 AM
HexRei

yellow wrkahlc - 

btw, LMFAO at such a generic tribal tattoo warranting a copyright and lawsuit. Tyson's artist must be soooo damn creative.

That's basically the shit that 50% of highschool kids doodle in study hall.
11/17/12 7:58 AM
Tolstolobic

It depends on commercial rights if one can make money of other people's work. Phone Post
11/17/12 8:26 AM
HexRei

Tolstolobic -  It depends on commercial rights if one can make money of other people's work. Phone Post

Because Escobero's little tattoo on Carlos' in-game character is going to be selling LOTS of copies of the game, right? Maybe Carlos' hairstylist should be suing too.
11/17/12 8:28 AM
HexRei

OH SHIT THE DRAGON TAT IS VISIBLE RIGHT HERE ON THE SIDEBAR, WHOEVER PUT THAT ON CARLOS BETTER FILE A LAWSUIT, STAT! MMA.TV IS MAKING MILLIONS OFF OF THAT INK!
11/17/12 8:45 AM
ComeatMeBro
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this dudes greasy
11/17/12 8:54 AM
Tolstolobic

HexRei -
Tolstolobic -  It depends on commercial rights if one can make money of other people's work. Phone Post

Because Escobero's little tattoo on Carlos' in-game character is going to be selling LOTS of copies of the game, right? Maybe Carlos' hairstylist should be suing too.
Because its in content in their game they sell. Phone Post
11/17/12 8:59 AM
Gooner H Smith

Wu Massacre -
stonepony - 
Gooner H Smith -  Reasons why foreigners hate America.... Phone Post

What makes you think other countries have more reasonable laws, or people that are less litigious? That retard who runs wikileaks might go to prison because he had sex with a girl and the condom broke (they call that rape).

In most other countries if you bring a lawsuit to court and lose, you are required to pay for All of the proceedings, yours, the opposition and their lawyer's, the court worker's time, everything. This cuts back on a lot of frivolous lawsuits, and Americans are widely regarded as having lawsuit problems, a problem self acknowledged by most, but not enough to deter many.

I wasn't trying to make the point that other countries have more reasonable laws. But there is an rash of frivolous lawsuits over the most inane things in this country. It's fucking incredible the lengths that some people go to make themselves the victim. It just makes the rest of us look like selfish cunts in the process. Phone Post
11/17/12 9:41 AM
Tombmatter

Whats with this comissioned argument? Only instance where artist does not get automatically copyrights, unless agreemenent stating otherwise is signed, is when artist is working for company on a monthly salary type of situation, designing for the company. If you are working for yourself you get to keep copyrights of all comissioned works if nothing else is agreed upon.

It's not different to any other piracy situation, but I think a lot of people with tattoos are feeling pretty stupid right now as they realize they are potentially not fully in control of their likeness rights. Obviously UFC should ban tattoos not made by official UFC tattoo artists.
11/17/12 9:41 AM
MGSPrim3
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

40oztofreedom - Shouldn't be a tattoo artist if he's so possessive of his own work. If you tattoo someone, you're selling your art away to someone. You don't own his skin now, you greedy bastard Phone Post
Hell yea, my thoughts exactly Phone Post
11/17/12 9:46 AM
56sav

lmao....ridiculous sue happy nation we live in
11/17/12 9:49 AM
charms434
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HOW STUPID
At first when I saw the article, i thought THQ stole his flash (artwork u see on the wall of tattoo shop) and used it in the create a character mode. But once u put a piece on a person it no longer becomes yours. What a shitty way to make money. And good luck suing THQ. LOL Phone Post
11/17/12 10:07 AM
Tombmatter

Im curious how Zuffa delt with this regarding the action figures? Did they remove the tats or license them? As SOPA advocates, I'm sure they did not use them without license.
11/17/12 10:23 AM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guy who did Mike Tyson's facial tattoo sued Fox for The Hangover 2 because they put the same tattoo on Ed Helm's face. He received a sizable settlement.

11/17/12 10:29 AM
Sprawl 68

Douchebaggery IMO Phone Post
11/17/12 10:38 AM
stonepony

Wu Massacre - 
stonepony - 
Gooner H Smith -  Reasons why foreigners hate America.... Phone Post

What makes you think other countries have more reasonable laws, or people that are less litigious? That retard who runs wikileaks might go to prison because he had sex with a girl and the condom broke (they call that rape).

In most other countries if you bring a lawsuit to court and lose, you are required to pay for All of the proceedings, yours, the opposition and their lawyer's, the court worker's time, everything. This cuts back on a lot of frivolous lawsuits, and Americans are widely regarded as having lawsuit problems, a problem self acknowledged by most, but not enough to deter many.

I agree with that. We do need tort reform.
11/17/12 10:43 AM
charms434
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't there a law. I think it's canvas or art. Like something like the Mona Lisa the art is more important than the canvas while if u paint my house or tattoo my body the canvas is more important than your art.

Who would want a tattoo from this guy?? That Phone Post
11/17/12 10:44 AM
charms434

Who would want a tattoo from this guy?? That pic on spring break???
OFF FACEBOOK! THE TATTOO YOUR ASS IS COPYRIGHTED !!! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.