UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Going to Thailand AMA and TME

12/14/12 5:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OUTCOLD
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sak Yant is widely available from Monks and Ajarn throughout Thailand.
They are very cheap compared to western prices for Tattoo's.
12/14/12 1:20 PM
MarkRobinson
1336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just heard that Baukaw is fighting in Bangkok on Sunday! If any of you are in town, let's check it out. Phone Post
12/15/12 3:00 AM
Ju Ichi
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
12/15/12 11:32 AM
MarkRobinson
1336 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool/

I think it's at the stadium. I'll have to ask around a bit more. I'll let you know first chance I get. I don't have a phone out here and rely on wifi and what not. Phone Post
12/15/12 3:09 PM
Windfall
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty sure going to watch kickboxing matches cost about $1 if you're Thai... or $30 if you're farang.
12/15/12 4:00 PM
Ham and Egger
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Windfall - Pretty sure going to watch kickboxing matches cost about $1 if you're Thai... or $30 if you're farang.

yup!
12/15/12 7:54 PM
MarkRobinson

Edited: 12/15/12 7:57 PM
Galt,

The match is supposed to be at the victory center at 545. I'm told to get there pretty early because it's free. I'm not sure if I'll make it but if I do, I'll be wearing a blue RVCA shirt, white g-shock watch with a grey hat.

5'8 and i hear i can pass for Thai.

12/16/12 12:50 PM
MarkRobinson

I saw it live and it was great. Phone Post
12/17/12 3:28 AM
BrunoMcGyver
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got an email from the consulate in Sydney to say they sent my passport back to me on the 15th, which I assume means they've approved my visa and everything's sorted. Didn't expect it to be so quick but it's great that I don't have to worry bout that no more. Got a 2 month single-entry visa.
12/17/12 3:59 AM
Windfall
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you not just show up from Australia to get the 60 days? I plan to just show up this time? (from US)
12/17/12 4:57 AM
BrunoMcGyver
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just showing up would get me in for 30 days, which would usually be okay, but since I plan on doing MT for that time would give me no time for backpacking.

I'd love to go to Cambodia, hopefully I can go for a few weeks. I got to be back in Oz in May though since I'm a groomsman at my friend's wedding. Who knows, if I like it enough I might join you Galt in fuckin living there :D
12/17/12 8:52 AM
warez
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a 500 per day overstay with a max penalty of 20,000 baht. I have a friend that overstayed for 6 years. Phone Post
12/17/12 9:11 AM
warez
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was renewing once a year for the first 10 years. Phone Post
12/17/12 4:38 PM
BrunoMcGyver

warez -  It's a 500 per day overstay with a max penalty of 20,000 baht. I have a friend that overstayed for 6 years. Phone Post

lmao that's hilarious!!
12/17/12 4:40 PM
BrunoMcGyver

Galt - People are good. The slightest effort to learn the language is usually appreciated.

True. I will hopefully learn to say more than 'sa wat dee krup' and 'sa bai dee mai' (i forget what the last one even means lol) by the time i go. I like languages anyway so woooooooooooooooooooooooo
12/17/12 9:30 PM
Windfall

warez -  It's a 500 per day overstay with a max penalty of 20,000 baht. I have a friend that overstayed for 6 years. Phone Post

This can't be true, can it? Why would anyone bother doing Visa runs, then? Why bother getting a Visa at all?
12/17/12 9:38 PM
othree
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Windfall - 

This can't be true, can it? Why would anyone bother doing Visa runs, then? Why bother getting a Visa at all?

yeah ttt for more on this

12/17/12 9:55 PM
Ham and Egger
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

othree - 
Windfall - 

Well I know at every hotel or guesthouse I stayed at they wanted to see my VISA info as well as passport.
12/18/12 5:21 AM
BrunoMcGyver

Been looking at these lil vid clips on youtube that teach some thai. the chick who does it is pretty damn cute. i'm not a huge fan of asian ladies, but if all the thai chicks look like her then i might not come back to oz lol :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzRIOH4HOas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gr95u7eSjY

chan chue Bruno krup :D :D
12/18/12 6:35 AM
Huntsman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

othree -
Windfall - 

The 500 a day is definitely true, and there is a max which I'm pretty sure is 20'000.

When I was in Phuket I paid about 1'700 baht for a week visa extension but ended up overstaying by one day. They let you off without any charge if its only one day over, but you do get a cool naughty boy stamp in your passport :) Phone Post
12/18/12 8:22 PM
Jaybrone
468 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To quote the "lady boy" who worked at the hard rock in Pattaya if you are expecting a woman make sure before you get home that it is a woman. Phone Post
12/21/12 8:07 AM
MarkRobinson

Galt - Looked like quite the crowd. What you doing for christmas Mark?
I actually didn't go to the stadium, I just watched it live from some beer tent.

I'm not sure what's going on for Christmas but I'll be back in Bangkok then. My hotel is near the airport though. However, I think I'm going to get another spot near Soi 20.

If anything, it would be cool to grab a drink. Phone Post
12/21/12 8:38 AM
warez

My friend stopped doing visa runs because obviously it's not that big of a deal. My friend that overstayed 6 years was pulled aside when leaving the country in the immigration line, and sat in a room with two young immigration officers who proceeded to flirt and hit on him, before he paid his 20K Baht and left.

He's now living in Chiang Mai taking care of his cats, currently overstaying by 5 years since his last visit to the states.

A mutual friend of ours, Chris Evans who was well known amongst the multinationals on the streets of Bangkok was overstaying for over 10 years. He recently died of cancer in Thailand. RIP Chris.

12/21/12 9:36 PM
BrunoMcGyver

How much would electricity bills be over the space of a month over there?

I'm getting my accommodation in Pai sorted out for when I do my training. There's a guesthouse near the gym that charges a price (3500 baht) + electricity bills for an aircon room. I might chill there between classes in the arvo to rest but that's about it.

A bit wary about the potential to get ripped off by the guesthouse, but with the base price of 3500 baht it seems like a tempting offer.
12/21/12 10:23 PM
BrunoMcGyver

Edited: 12/21/12 10:24 PM
That's right. 3500 for a month, plus electricity bills (for this particular place). I'm kinda worried about how much bills actually would be though, but I'm inclined to take it since it's a minute walk from the gym and 10 mins walk to the main part of Pai.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.