UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> St-Pierre vs. Condit

11/18/12 12:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JustPeed
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No need for superfight, GSP has a legitimate challenge in Hendricks. Phone Post
11/18/12 12:54 AM
MixedMartialArse
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz might be a better striker but he lacks a one hitter quitter. Phone Post
11/18/12 12:54 AM
Malvert the Janitor
843 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great fight! Phone Post
11/18/12 12:56 AM
Wasa-B
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP still showed good movement, timing but still not throwing enough power shots and was hoping he would be able to dish out more GNP and get beyond half guard.

On the bright side, his knee looked to be non-factor and he got the big first fight out of the way over a tough opponent and fought thru being hurt.

He should come out better next time.That was a LOT of pressure on him with both the injury and fighting in Montreal and having a tough as opponent as Condit.

Condit also showed how he did not let Diaz get into a riddum, COndit has a great work rate output with striking and also unorthodox, that kick that got GSP was done a bit of a weird way.

Big ups to them both.
yellow wrkahlc
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Garza and Makdessi spoiled my night, but great card, nonetheless. I was very impressed by Lawlor, Hendricks and GSP tonight.

StretchPlum
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP was not "badly, badly hurt". He landed an upkick, didn't take one punch, got out, and dominated the round. 50-45. No finish? Good, I was able to watch more of a good fight.
Wasa-B
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So who's next: Diaz or Hendricks?

Or Diaz vs Hendricks first?
11/18/12 12:57 AM
Silverball
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Better fight than I expected, but in the end it was still a 50-45 win for GSP, and that's after taking 18 months off to recover from reconstructive knee surgery. Phone Post
11/18/12 12:58 AM
Dryfly

MarcusRenatoBlackBelt - Condit has a great guard.... Diaz has an even better one.... Condit was the better striker even with the threat of the takedown, GSP was a blanket after he got hurt in the 3rd round, for that round, but he was hurt... that is a testament to Condit's skills... Condit was the better skilled fighter, Georges wrestling won the fight

Condit won on Pride Rules..

Conditk outstruck GSP from the bottom

Bullshit. Prides #1 criteria in judging was damage inflicted to the opponent. Georges clearly inflicted more damage.
ranier wolfcastle
924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the mistake and recovery by gsp is really what made it a good fight

formerspook
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta -
formerspook - God, I hate this shit. You rarely see a champion that incapable of finishing fights. Phone Post
That's was a fantastic fight. Carlos is no joke. They beat the crap out each other. Phone Post
I thought the fight was great. The only problem is that my entire house was filled with groans whenever GSP took him down. I thought he was getting the better of the exchanges and he decides to go for the takedowns? He fights to not lose instead of fighting to win. Someone with that much skill and talent shouldn't play it so safe. How often does Dos Santos or Silva try to ride out a decision? Even though I despise JBJ, at least he goes for the kill Phone Post
Stainypoo

The only way i see diaz losing against gsp is on cuts. 209 WAHT!
11/18/12 1:00 AM
ShockTroop0369
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz vs Hendricks.... Winner gets a shot.

Loser fights Condit...

Great fights any way you line them up... Phone Post
11/18/12 1:00 AM
StretchPlum

"Condit was the better skilled fighter, Georges wrestling won the fight"

Those two statements don't go together, unless you don't realize that wrestling is a huge part of mma fighting. Also, George landed more of the big shots on the feet.
11/18/12 1:02 AM
HexRei

formerspook - 
duckhuntgangsta -
formerspook - God, I hate this shit. You rarely see a champion that incapable of finishing fights. Phone Post
That's was a fantastic fight. Carlos is no joke. They beat the crap out each other. Phone Post
I thought the fight was great. The only problem is that my entire house was filled with groans whenever GSP took him down. I thought he was getting the better of the exchanges and he decides to go for the takedowns? He fights to not lose instead of fighting to win. Someone with that much skill and talent shouldn't play it so safe. How often does Dos Santos or Silva try to ride out a decision? Even though I despise JBJ, at least he goes for the kill Phone Post

WATCH KICKBOXING INSTEAD
11/18/12 1:03 AM
StretchPlum

"I thought he was getting the better of the exchanges and he decides to go for the takedowns?"

it's mixed martial arts. Punching is not the default.
11/18/12 1:03 AM
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand all these people giving GSP 50-45. While GSP was on top that round he did very little, Condit defended well and was also landing off his back.

Meanwhile Condit dropped GSP and landed a number of good shots from the top. I totally disagree with any scoring criteria that could possibly give that round to Georges.

Of course it's all academic anyway, GSP looked great overall. Great performance by both guys. Didn't think GSP looked rusty or injured at all, he looked awesome. IMO this was GSP's best overall performance since the Fitch fight.

Can't see him fighting Anderson...GSP has never wanted that fight, he always gets very evasive when it's brought up, I don't see him changing his mind.

Also I don't think it was really fair of Rogan to talk to GSP about Anderson there. I know the UFC probably wants it but let GSP celebrate his hard fought win, rather than pressuring him in front of thousands of people to take a fight he clearly wants absolutely no part of.
11/18/12 1:05 AM
formerspook
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei -
formerspook - 
duckhuntgangsta -

WATCH KICKBOXING INSTEAD
Go watch high school wrestling Phone Post
11/18/12 1:06 AM
Lun8
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

man I'm so impressed with GSP recovering.. I used to think in any situation like that he would fade.. he just gritted his teeth fought thru condits barrage ,got up and took the fight back to condit

11/18/12 1:06 AM
Poindexter
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The original post was pretty accurate.

11/18/12 1:11 AM
Strategy101

First off, let me say it was a good fight (not amazing, but good), as Carlos Condit was enough of a threat to KO/TKO St. Piere that it kept the fight entertaining despite GSP controlling most of the fight on top.

Several other issues;

1) Not finishing again - While it was disappointing to see another decision, I firmly believe that the WW division is probably the deepest and most "complete" division in the sport. When you combine the competition with the time away from the octagon/"ring rust" I think you have to cut GSP some slack in this department. Unlike some of his other fights, there was very little opportunity in this fight to actually attack for a finish in my opinion.

2) Nick Diaz poses different problems, but certainly not "more problems" than Carlos Condit - Diaz is a better boxer and probably a bit more dangerous off his back via quick submissions however, he is certainly not physically stronger nor in better possession of any true form of "takedown defense"... something that must be near elite to defeat GSP. While I still think its an interesting fight for sure, I really dont see why it would go any differently than most every fight against non-wrestlers that GSP has fought. You dont want a boring decision fight? Well dont have him fight Nick Diaz, because its probably just going to be more of the same, with GSP taking down Diaz at will, and grinding out a decision win.

3) Johnny Hendricks - This fight actually excites me more, because he has the KO power in his hands AND probably has some of the best takedown defense of any of the top contenders for GSP. I still think GSP in terms of "MMA Wrestling" is probably the superior grappler, BUT it'll probably be more of a struggle to dominate Johnny Hendricks via takedowns and top control. Hendricks probably most compares to a more "dangerous" version of Josh Koschek.

4) Anderson Silva - While I still think its stupid for a Middle Weight Champion who has defeated HEAVIER Light Heavyweights to fight a SMALLER guy at his own weight (MW), I do think its a fight you HAVE to want to see simply because there are so few chances to ever see "the best of the best" actually fight each other. Even if the fight ended up being one sided, I'd rather see the fight than always ask "what if?"

Anyway, congrats to GSP, and I hope Condit grows from this loss because I enjoy watching his fights.

Still a great night for MMA fans all around.
11/18/12 1:11 AM
Strategy101

Edited: 11/18/12 1:12 AM
*double post* (sorry)
11/18/12 1:20 AM
HexRei

Edited: 11/18/12 1:24 AM
formerspook - 
HexRei -
formerspook - 
duckhuntgangsta -

WATCH KICKBOXING INSTEAD

Why? I'm not the one crying about a fighter's styl. Apparently all your friends and you think takedowns are for the unskilled and untalented. You're wrong, and my suggestion was absolutely serious. I cannot comprehend why someone would watch MMA instead of kickboxing if they didn't appreciate groundwork.
11/18/12 1:23 AM
cross3dout
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cross3dout -
cross3dout - Do the fight!! C'mon!!! Phone Post
. Phone Post
. Phone Post
11/18/12 1:28 AM
formerspook

HexRei -
formerspook - 
HexRei -
formerspook - 
duckhuntgangsta -

WATCH KICKBOXING INSTEAD

Why? I'm not the one crying about a fighter's styl. Apparently all your friends and you think takedowns are for the unskilled and untalented. You're wrong, and my suggestion was absolutely serious. I cannot comprehend why someone would watch MMA instead of kickboxing if they didn't appreciate groundwork.
I think you're missing my point here. I like groundwork just fine. What I don't like is the playing it safe factor. GSP could've finished Hardy, Silva, Shields, Koscheck, and Condit. He actually tried against Hardy and still couldn't do it so he tries to just not lose. I think he could be the GOAT but at the same time, how can you be the greatest compared to the likes of Fedor and AS if you grind out 5 rounders? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.