UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC PPV pricing pubs/bars out?

11/17/12 7:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ILikePsych
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/17/12 7:46 PM

According to a cable company representative, his call center has seen a big dip in people ordering pay-per-views over the last few years. He said when people do call to order they complain about the high prices. He said other reps have to tell the callers that it's not the cable companies that set the prices but rather WWE, UFC and boxing. 

From here:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/18/3167055/ufc-ppv-prices-directv-viacom-comcast

11/17/12 7:47 PM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rufus - 
ILikePsych - 
rufus - 
Reed Rothchild - Wow...pricing the customer base out... Good move BLAF Phone Post
ZUFFA sells the broadcast rights to a third party, who then sets the price. And one bar stopping buying them when the economy is shit is evidence of what exactly, any way? Phone Post

In a college town near me only one bar shows the PPV, Buffalow Wild Wings, out of about 7 total bars. And where is your source on this third party? From my knowledge, the UFC itself is going after bar owners for violating the PPV commercial fee, not a third party. 

Joe Hand Productions owns the distribution rights to UFC.  When a bar buys a PPV, they're buying it from these guys.

http://www.joehandpromotions.com/

Jo Hand AND Zuffa go after the bars who pirate it.  There's an article about it here.

http://www.startribune.com/local/165672236.html?refer=y

Somebody's gettin mega rich off of this shit and it's not all of the fighters.. A core group make very good money.

At least in the UFC it's more than just the champions that can make really good money. I have a feeling Dana takes very good care of guys like Kos. They treat their fighters better than boxing promoters by far.

11/17/12 7:47 PM
the geek
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ILikePsych - 

According to a cable company representative, his call center has seen a big dip in people ordering pay-per-views over the last few years. He said when people do call to order they complain about the high prices. He said other reps have to tell the callers that it's not the cable companies that set the prices but rather WWE, UFC and boxing. 

From here:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/18/3167055/ufc-ppv-prices-directv-viacom-comcast

Nope, the 3rd parties don't have a product to sue for, it's the UFC's product.
11/17/12 7:49 PM
ILikePsych

the geek - 
ILikePsych - 

From here:

Nope, the 3rd parties don't have a product to sue for, it's the UFC's product.

Well then I stand corrected. 

11/17/12 7:50 PM
rufus
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the UFC was selling the broadcasting rights to a third party which was setting the prices, wouldn't they be the ones taking the businesses that are illegally bypassing the commercial PPV fees to court and not the UFC itself?

Did you read the article I linked above?  Both Zuffa AND Joe Hand go after the bars.  Joe Hand for the illegal broadcast, and Zuffa for the copyright and trademark violations.

In case you missed it:

"It's criminal, what they're doing," said Jeffrey W. Jensen, co-owner of J.T.'s Hideaway, a small bar in New Prague that got slapped in July with a Joe Hand lawsuit demanding damages of $170,000. "I have nothing. I mean, we're behind on our house. We're behind on our bar payment," he said. "We're not rolling in dough here."

11/17/12 7:52 PM
PhallicObjekt
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These bars should just order it through regular cable. Phone Post
11/17/12 7:54 PM
rufus
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PhallicObjekt -  These bars should just order it through regular cable. Phone Post

That's how you end up getting sued for $170K.

11/17/12 7:55 PM
the geek
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PhallicObjekt -  These bars should just order it through regular cable. Phone Post

They can't, the cable company would then be susceptible for a fine or lawsuit (most likely litigation would go towards the bar if they knowingly bypassed the 3rd party).
the geek

rufus, you keep beating me to the answers haha.

ILikePsych

rufus - 

If the UFC was selling the broadcasting rights to a third party which was setting the prices, wouldn't they be the ones taking the businesses that are illegally bypassing the commercial PPV fees to court and not the UFC itself?

Did you read the article I linked above?  Both Zuffa AND Joe Hand go after the bars.  Joe Hand for the illegal broadcast, and Zuffa for the copyright and trademark violations.

In case you missed it:

"It's criminal, what they're doing," said Jeffrey W. Jensen, co-owner of J.T.'s Hideaway, a small bar in New Prague that got slapped in July with a Joe Hand lawsuit demanding damages of $170,000. "I have nothing. I mean, we're behind on our house. We're behind on our bar payment," he said. "We're not rolling in dough here."

Nope, actually I did not read the article until Geek responded to my post and the page refreshed; but thanks for pointing it out, I appreciate it.

11/18/12 2:24 PM
gabemadrid
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UPDATE:

So buds ale house I went to (formerly hooters) was charging at the door.

$15.00 for the first hour you are seated.
$10.00 each additional hour.

Got there are 830 no prelims were even on and they were charging.

The 4 hours would've come out to $45.00 per person. There was supposed to be 7 of us. Once I called them to let them know these rules they cancelled. We wound up being a group of three.

We went to a small bar instead. Awesome service kind of small pub. Spent 40 bucks the whole night.

It's a turn off to have to pay per hour to watch a UFC. Maybe if it were less I mean they said they'd apply that money towards the total bill but who wants to feel obliged to spend a certain amount.

Usually that place is packed on UFC nights. Last nights policies had the place looking empty. It may be hurting some businesses to pay for the rights to watch these fights but some places are trying to take advantage as well. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.