UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How fat can you be and still be a referee? -JR

11/18/12 7:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AndrewJitsu
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think joe is awesome and I never rip on him. But it's more for the sake of the ref. You know, when you are refereeing a huge fight, tell all your friends that you are refereeing it. So people that are friends with him have to hear comments like that made by Joe I just a little tough on the guy. Phone Post
11/18/12 7:25 AM
6ULDV8
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'I would hate to work with me.'

- Joe Rogan

11/18/12 7:49 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SpiderRicco - ^yeah but the camera adds 10lbs
He really should stop eating cameras then... Phone Post
11/18/12 8:01 AM
6ULDV8
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rogan and Goldie were on their game last night and made it an even better night of fights.  If you're really easily offended maybe MMA isn't the sport for you.

Don't these guys look like they're having fun?

11/18/12 8:03 AM
Mit
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TopGrinder - I know joe was trying hard to be funny there but it was not a wise comment. Joe was being a bully right there even if he didn't mean too. That shit is not cool by human standards and goes against joes philosophy he preaches on his podcast. Joes gotta make it right somehow Phone Post
This! Bully was the first word that came to mind. Phone Post
11/18/12 8:23 AM
johnonguitar7
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How fat can you be and still ref a fight??? Phone Post
11/18/12 8:27 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Phone Post
11/18/12 8:36 AM
AndrewJitsu
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -
Well done with that joke. I gotta remember that one. Phone Post
11/18/12 8:40 AM
Elias Cepeda
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RML -
zFugitive -
RML - 

You know someone is 100% comfortable with their job security when they say something like that while covering a professional sport.

Funny comment.. that would get someone fired if they were a commentator for any other sport.

You do realize this is a PPV vs Cable Broadcasting right?
Right. So if a boxing commentator made that comment it would not go over well.

It's not right from a professional stand point.

Still funny. Phone Post
I actually think it was a very professional thing to say in so much as the issue is actually pertinent to a refs competence. How fat can you be and still be allowed to do the very physical job of being a ref? It is a valid question.

But I also agree with the people here who have said the ref had other demonstrable competency issues, notably the fact that he didnt appear to understand what MMA was in any respect. Phone Post
11/18/12 8:40 AM
johnonguitar7

Seriously though, could anyone imagine if BJM and Dan got together and went to an all-you-can-eat BBQ rib house?

Man alive Phone Post
11/18/12 8:51 AM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

The worst part was his outtie belly button looking like a mini penis....BEEEP Phone Post
11/18/12 9:02 AM
Kostakio
520 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, I'm going to sound like a bigger fag than Lance Bass for this but I was watching the fights last night with my boys and our wives (lol). When he said that fat comment... man... they girls all hated him and called for his head. I had to scramble for excuses and told them it was an inside joke between Rogan and the ref.

"I DON'T CARE! WHAT IF THAT GUY'S KIDS OR GRANDKIDS ARE WATCHING THAT?!" Oh, boy... you put me in a difficult spot, Joe. lmao Phone Post
11/18/12 9:23 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AndrewJitsu -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -
Well done with that joke. I gotta remember that one. Phone Post
Lol. Can't remember where I heard it but I can't take the credit for making it up :) Phone Post
11/18/12 9:25 AM
blushgirl412
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/18/12 10:22 AM
I can definitely understand Rogan being frustrated or having issues with the refs, but when he made that comment the ref wasnt even in the frame and wasn't even technically blocking the view possibly justifying the comment about his weight.

I am not sure if Joe Rogan places any boundaries on what he says or if he is basically told to say whatever he wants but maybe he should start to consider others before he speaks his opinion, because its not one of his podcasts or a comedy show where he can say whatever he wants.

Just because he is given the power to speak live on air during a PPV that is viewed by millions doesnt mean that he has to critique a refs weight, especially if it isnt impeding on the fight or view of the fight.

Not everyone is "jacked" or has Eddie Bravo as a personal friend to train with or can afford his life choices, diet or supplement progam. Also, there are A LOT of fat or obese people in the world and they may be fans or potential fans of the UFC or possibly take offense to his comment(s) and rethink supporting the UFC. Why even add these type of variables to the equation? Be a pro at all times.

That being said, I completely support Joe Rogan and enjoy what he brings to the table, I just wish he was a little more of a "professional" at times. The UFC would not be the same without Joe Rogan though and I love his passion about MMA.

*Edited for typos
11/18/12 9:54 AM
ryanJ
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I missed te comment...who was it in reference to?

11/18/12 10:04 AM
Kostakio
520 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The clinically obese official. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:07 AM
Damasta Shonuff
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I laughed at the Lance Bass comment from Rogan on FX, but I figured for sure the LBGA would be all over his ass (pun!) for saying that on cable tv (FX). That was alot more risque due to easier access than the fat comment on PPV.
11/18/12 10:10 AM
caposa
1764 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have seen fatter refs, thought it was kind of a dickish comment

11/18/12 10:12 AM
whatamess

it was very insulting...
11/18/12 10:14 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay

EEKS - Imagine Max Kellerman saying that shit. No I can't and that's why MMA won't be around in ten years.
And the award, for biggest MMA fan of the year goes to!... Phone Post
11/18/12 10:48 AM
Incindio
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stupid adolescent comments for a 'professional sport' commentator, especially one that considers himself an intellect. Want to be considered a professional event by main stream, try acting a little more professional.
11/18/12 2:08 PM
hewsdaddy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

which fight was it again
11/18/12 2:13 PM
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RML - 

You know someone is 100% comfortable with their job security when they say something like that while covering a professional sport.

Funny comment.. that would get someone fired if they were a commentator for any other sport.

Watch a Boston Bruins broadcast.  Jack Edwards has made fun of people that are seriously injured and never gotten in trouble.  Joe Rogan should be fine for making a fat joke.

11/18/12 2:16 PM
The Sundance Kid

picture of ref?
11/18/12 2:17 PM
BlueOnBlack
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Creepy'sMustache -  It was funny but totally uncalled for. It made him look unprofessional. Phone Post

This. Joe Buck would never say something like that but that's mainly because he's really boring.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.