UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Would GSP be able to take Hendricks down?

11/18/12 8:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
canuck34
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Sultan - I actually think johny's KO power would be a significant factor in that fight. Dangerous fight. Phone Post
I agree. That left will put any WW out. Phone Post
11/18/12 8:19 AM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In.
11/18/12 8:45 AM
Elias Cepeda
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think GSP could take anyone down in MMA in welterweight through light heavyweight Phone Post
11/18/12 9:02 AM
canuck34
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

irishman84 - of course. and thats so wonderful. Its sad that the welter weight division has a take down championship instead of a mixed martial arts one
What?

Last night the fight was about 60/40 ground vs stand up.

There was some great striking from both guys and they were both non stop active on the ground.

It was a textbook MMA display. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:33 AM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

WWETopTeam - Jonny Hendricks is a much better wrestler. Period. Yes , Rick Story caught him off guard -- That happens a lot to wrestlers who enter MMA as they train striking and bjj much more then wrestling since there are diminished returns on the wrestling compared to striking or bjj where they learn multiple new techniques over the course of a few days.

My point is that Jonny Hendricks while in highschool was NATIONALLY the best wrestler in his weight class (He tech-falled Ben Askren , or won by over 15 points so they stop the match in an act of mercy.) In College he won an NCAA Championship and competed with the best wrestlers in the world.... He also wrestled Freestyle which is the international style used in the Olympics...

Credentials are not an end-all-be-all in MMA. This is for a variety of reasons that would be very lengthy to discuss. However, in the case of Jonny Hendricks, a month or two would be plenty of time to polish up that wrestling. He knows that Georges uses wrestling in MMA to control the fight very effectively. A Jonny Hendricks that is hell-bent on stopping a GSP takedown will definately stop most of GSP's takedowns.

Koscheck used this very explanation in the lead-up to the second fight (That training Striking & BJJ more often lead to his wrestling training short-comings.

Another thing to consider is that Jonny would work hard enough on his wrestling that it would be such a struggle for GSP to take him down. If you watched any NCAA final or Olympic competition , the difference between winning an entire 6 minute wrestling match could be a single takedown. To take it even further, a lot of matches are decided without a single takedown being scored. That means that the difference in takedown ability between two high level wrestlers should not be dramatically different. That leads to 2 high level wrestlers who meet in an MMA match to forego the use of heavy takedowns, because the achievement of a takedowen would expend a lot of energy -- Energy better used for actually throwing punches and kicks in the fight.
Pretty sure he lost the takedown battle to kos who has inferior mma wrestling than gsp Phone Post
11/18/12 10:34 AM
UGCTT_Gaspare

The Sultan - I actually think johny's KO power would be a significant factor in that fight. Dangerous fight. Phone Post
This Phone Post
11/18/12 10:40 AM
bigconk74fe

ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - Should be GSPs toughest fight to date, much tougher than Anderson who can't stop anyone from taking him down.
Lol seems like cheal was the only one who could take him down, not "anyone". Phone Post
11/18/12 11:02 AM
Tclegg
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gsp will neutralize the left and will stand up like it will look like the Hardy and koshexk fight. Phone Post
11/18/12 11:39 AM
Osbot

The issue here isn't can Hendricks knock GSP out.

The issue is, who is going to force the other guy to alter his game plan more. Who is going to be inside the other guys decision loop.

Hendricks can certainly KO GSP. Hendricks certainly has the credentials to wrestle with GSP. The problem here as I see it is, Hendricks has not yet shown that he can do both effectively.

He is either all in throwing, or he isn't.

From my POV, GSP will do what GSP does. He will jab, leg kick, throw power shots when, and only when they are there for the taking. He will use all of this to setup his take downs.

Another thing to consider about GSP, he often shoots for take downs just for the take down. We saw it time and time in Kos II. Shoot for the take down at the end of the round and then just stand up and continue slamming the jab into Kos' face.

It serves no other purpose than to display how comprehensively he is winning.

When Hendricks is slinging punches, he is 100% committed and is wide open for the take down. When Hendricks isn't slinging punches, his striking on a technical level is not up to par.

So here is how Hendricks SHOULD fight, throw everything, including the kitchen sink at GSP. It is highly unlikely he wins a decision, he needs to put him to sleep. He needs to be willing to bomb away and risk getting put on his back.

How I think the fight will go down?

Hendricks will be concerned about the TD, this means he will not completely commit to throwing with his crazy power.

GSP either way, will take what Hendricks gives him. If Hendricks swings away the way he should, GSP will shoot for the take down.

If Hendricks is tentative, looking to hold back and defend the take down and wrestle with GSP, it will look a lot like Kos II. He will get picked apart, forced off balance, and planted on his ass when GSP sees an opening.

I think his best chance is to bomb away. Regardless, I think GSP is too good at everything to lose to anything but a Serra-esque situation.
11/18/12 12:27 PM
shiznit

If rick story can take hendricks down,gsp can repeatdly

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.