UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Was that the best GSP you have seen?

11/18/12 2:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WatchinMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just curious what you guys think about this. I personally think gsp looked a lot different and was better striking on the feet with his power but also a bit slower than usual. I would say he is pretty close to the same gsp as before but I am still not sure with nick Diaz smelling blood in the water Phone Post
11/18/12 2:21 AM
Immaculata
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He landed a lot more clean 2's than I expected.
11/18/12 2:23 AM
WatchinMMA

Immaculata - He landed a lot more clean 2's than I expected.
Yeah I thought he looked different. Big right hands a few times Phone Post
11/18/12 2:23 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In a way yes, because he hasn't fought an opponent who pushed him that hard in a very long time. Showed he can come back and push through some big adversity. Every legend has to prove they can do it at some point.
11/18/12 2:25 AM
ASBELTOMATO
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can't remember better. maybe the second matt hughes fight.

he was aggressive, not just looking for a moment to shoot. he would use that karate stepping in and out to use effective shots and scrap. he was not point fighting, nor afraid, and really showed his talent in this fight. some of his fights bore the crap out of me, but it was hard to not respect the hell out that guy from that performance.

he was good standing, in the scrambles, and good on the ground. he got caught by a kick of all things, and man that sure must have hurt his karate ego. but he never stopped fighting smart, and would transition at the right time. shades of the old fedor. great fighting.
11/18/12 2:25 AM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
290 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he was not as cautious as before and risked the submission attempts, knowing he could muscle out of them rather than not risking them at all. He was very aggressive and brought the fight to Condit.

I dont know if thats the best GSP, but it certainly my favorite GSP Phone Post
11/18/12 2:27 AM
jps1012
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No. I think his striking seemed off. Phone Post
11/18/12 2:28 AM
WatchinMMA

UGCTT_ScarecrowRio - I think he was not as cautious as before and risked the submission attempts, knowing he could muscle out of them rather than not risking them at all. He was very aggressive and brought the fight to Condit.

Yes, well put. GSP was definitely taking more chances in this fight again. I liked it too Phone Post
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, and to be honest, I thought he was going to lose after seeing his walkout. He just didnt seem as confident as Ive seen him before. Even he admitted ring rust.

I was impressed seeing him go down and rally to win. He's got heart (which some have questioned in the past).

CrazyPope
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ScarecrowRio -  I think he was not as cautious as before and risked the submission attempts, knowing he could muscle out of them rather than not risking them at all. He was very aggressive and brought the fight to Condit.

Solid post, especially considering the AV :)
11/18/12 2:29 AM
FreightTrain

He wanted to stand more post Serra.

Best? Id say no.
11/18/12 2:30 AM
fasthandssam
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP looked great tonight. Before the head kick, he was landing more shots and doing a much better job being fluid and coordinated. I knew he'd always have the wrestling advantage, but he was legitimately outstriking Condit on the feet.

But it was after the kick that impressed me most. I love seeing a guy claw their way out of major adversity with every ounce of grit and instinct desperately trying to survive. And then not only to survive but then push the extra bit to dominate the rest of the fight. Probably GSP's greatest accomplishment to date but because it didn't end with a finish not many people will understand this.

So yea it was probably the best GSP I've seen. He definitely has more heart than ever. And I can't imagine a previous version of GSP doing much better against Condit tonight, who is a very scary guy and came ready for war with nothing to lose.
11/18/12 2:31 AM
MMALOGIC

I dont know about the best but that was the old GSP where he was actually fighting instead of sparring.

11/18/12 2:32 AM
RandyDarsh
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He looked awkward changing levels for the takedown once he backed condit up against the cage, but he seemed to be fairly effective with those takedowns regardless.
It looked like rashads takedown setup, consisting of a combo leading into a level change for a single or a double leg. Phone Post
11/18/12 2:36 AM
Sadyv

It's somewhat ironic that GSP gets one of his best fight receptions in some time, because he was rusty and his opponent was worthy to challenge.

GSP has the biggest arsenal and skill set the sport has ever seen, he's just been so much sharper and better than his opponents that he'd been winning by sticking with the very basics in terms of what he threw and his overall fight strategy.

Given an opponent who stood tall up to the mark, and a GSP is able to show his talent and skills.
11/18/12 2:41 AM
andyman011

RandyDarsh - He looked awkward changing levels for the takedown once he backed condit up against the cage, but he seemed to be fairly effective with those takedowns regardless.
It looked like rashads takedown setup, consisting of a combo leading into a level change for a single or a double leg. Phone Post
Look at condits face during the takedowns, gsp was thrusting his shoulder into condit. You see he fold over from it Phone Post
11/18/12 2:43 AM
yellow wrkahlc

Top 5 performance. It would have been Top 3 if he hadn't gotten caught in the third.

11/18/12 2:44 AM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash

Best GSP would have seen that head kcik

OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash

yellow wrkahlc - 

Top 5 performance. It would have been Top 3 if he hadn't gotten caught in the third.

Best IMO

Flawless apart from that

Braun187
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz is irrelevant at this point. Hendricks is next Phone Post
11/18/12 5:38 AM
RandyDarsh
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andyman011 -
RandyDarsh - He looked awkward changing levels for the takedown once he backed condit up against the cage, but he seemed to be fairly effective with those takedowns regardless.
Look at condits face during the takedowns, gsp was thrusting his shoulder into condit. You see he fold over from it Phone Post
I was impressed condit was able to avoid a couple by pulling a switch Phone Post
11/18/12 6:19 AM
DEZBOT

Fitch Gsp was the best version Phone Post
11/18/12 6:19 AM
MarcusRenatoBlackBelt

OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

Best IMO

Flawless apart from that

flawless? Not even close. Condit was landing the more meaningful strikes standing up. GSP would take condit down, and Condit was landing a lot of shots off his back. When GSP was successful with his GNP, like the first round, Condit was finding openings for subs. In the 3rd round GSP was actually "laying on him"
11/18/12 9:07 AM
WidespreadPanic

Bear in mind that a great opponent can make you look a bit less impressive than you are, kind of stuff your game. GSP stuffed Carlos' game. Carlos made GSP look kinda slow at times, but he's definitely improved (GSP).

I was shocked at weigh ins how much taller (bigger) than GSP.

11/18/12 9:09 AM
im_MLT

Considering the layoff, yes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.