UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey gets UFC belt, Cris Cyborg must make 135

11/18/12 8:00 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At the UFC 153 post fight press conference, UFC President Dana White offered some details on women in the UFC.

The UFC women's bantamweight title will go to Strikeforce bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, without a fight. It is uncertain who her first challenger will be, but if it is Cris 'Cyborg' Santos, she must make 135, and White did not seem particularly enthusiastic about the possibility.

"Our matchmakers have talked to their camp, and she doesn't seem too excited to fight Ronda," White said.

Cyborg can apply for a license to fight in January, following a one year suspension and loss of the Strikeforce 145-pound title after testing positive for the use of the Performance Enhancing Drug Stanozolol.

Who ever Rousey fights, the date has not been determined, although it will be on PPV, and Rousey will headline, unless a champion of greater weight fights on the card.

"We're bringing in the 135-pound division," said White. "I'm trying this whole women's thing out. Obviously, Ronda is the champ. I think Ronda has the potential to be a big star. She's already getting media that we've never even gotten before, and she's never even set foot in the UFC yet. That's the division that we're bringing in."

However unenthusiastic White was about Santos, he is determined to make Women in the UFC work, even saying Rousey and female challenger could potentially coach male fighters on TUF.

Read entire article...

11/18/12 8:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Ghost of Eatonbeever
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hmmm if she was to headline it would want to be a STRONG undercard

11/18/12 8:41 AM
THIRTY3K
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Ghost of Eatonbeever - 

I agree, although it would be interesting to see what numbers a Rhonda PPV would do without relying on other established draws.
11/18/12 8:45 AM
The Ghost of Eatonbeever
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THIRTY3K -
The Ghost of Eatonbeever - 

I agree, although it would be interesting to see what numbers a Rhonda PPV would do without relying on other established draws.
Sweet fuck all I reckon, as rowdy as she wants to be females in any sport just don't attract the attention compared to their male counterparts. Phone Post
11/18/12 8:46 AM
Darth Ryase
1093 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is ridiculous. Who does she think she is Medusa? Getting gifted a belt is outrageous.

11/18/12 8:48 AM
mclay
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at not being able to make 135! Phone Post
11/18/12 8:54 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Darth Ryase - 

This is ridiculous. Who does she think she is Medusa? Getting gifted a belt is outrageous.

were Dom Cruz & Aldo 'gifted' belts?

They got them the exact same way
11/18/12 8:56 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

when Roidborg realizes other WMMA orgs pay $225 a fight she will undergo a medical miracle and make 135
11/18/12 9:02 AM
THIRTY3K
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE - when Roidborg realizes other WMMA orgs pay $225 a fight she will undergo a medical miracle and make 135

Indeed, maybe Cyborg has been living in America too long, and forgotten what it's like to have no oranges
11/18/12 9:10 AM
DeLurked
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"She's already getting media that we've never even gotten before"- THIS is why she is in the UFC, and THIS is why Dana is finally putting on women's matches. Not taking anything away from RR, ale is an amazing fighter and I love watching her compete. But UFC is trying to take over the world, and they are going to jump on whatever gets them media attention and noticed by the mainstream. Phone Post
11/18/12 9:11 AM
bad1121

What happens if cyborg beats Ronda does the women's division go away. Because it seems like Dana is only doing this for Ronda and no one else. And why would he have them coach TUF with male fighters, that's stupid. Why not TUF with women fighters. That would probably garner more of an audience. I'm sick of these shitty "fighters" they have on now who suck and just want tv time. Phone Post
11/18/12 9:13 AM
mclay
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why wouldn't she get the belt? Who has she not beaten in her weight class?

The only person that would dispute it won't cut to 135. Phone Post
11/18/12 9:15 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

'...It doesn't make sense for Cyborg to have to try to lose weight, that is like saying Silva has to come down to WW to fight GSP....'

If he wanted to fight GSP for his WW title, he would
11/18/12 9:24 AM
kinson

Darth Ryase -

:(

I'd recommend tampons. Phone Post
11/18/12 9:27 AM
JediJitsu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As should be. Phone Post
11/18/12 9:48 AM
r_o_y

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman -  I don't understand why Cyborg won't just go to 135. Shell destroy Ronda, make a ton of money and be the champ. Phone Post

there must be something keeping her from doing it. maybe she's not sure of herself without the juice.
11/18/12 9:50 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

r_o_y - 
Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman -  I don't understand why Cyborg won't just go to 135. Shell destroy Ronda, make a ton of money and be the champ. Phone Post

there must be something keeping her from doing it. maybe she's not sure of herself without the juice.

Its simple, Cyborg is a classic textbook bully who has encountered the first person that is bullying her.
11/18/12 10:01 AM
stonepony

Yeah, she could if she wanted to. Easy. She doesn't feel like it.
11/18/12 10:11 AM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dam... cyborg, cut to 135 already....... i shit more than 10lbs every morning........
11/18/12 11:43 AM
Submissable
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thatsme - It doesn't make sense for Cyborg to have to try to lose weight, that is like saying Silva has to come down to WW to fight GSP. These people already have to fight to get down to their current weight classes.

These people keep saying "gee i dunno why Cyborg won't come down to 135lbs", but won't ask why Rousey won't move up.

Never mind that fact that Rousey is not in the same league with Cyborg anyway. NO one is.
It's a 135 pound weight class.....

Not 145. There is only one weight class. Making catch weight bouts before establishing a weight class doesn't help the product. Phone Post
11/18/12 12:14 PM
BlueOnBlack
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Submissable - 
thatsme - It doesn't make sense for Cyborg to have to try to lose weight, that is like saying Silva has to come down to WW to fight GSP. These people already have to fight to get down to their current weight classes.

These people keep saying "gee i dunno why Cyborg won't come down to 135lbs", but won't ask why Rousey won't move up.

Never mind that fact that Rousey is not in the same league with Cyborg anyway. NO one is.
It's a 135 pound weight class.....

Not 145. There is only one weight class. Making catch weight bouts before establishing a weight class doesn't help the product. Phone Post

Agreed but there isn't really much product to offer at this point. How many top tier women fighters are there at 135 and how many of them aren't currently under contracts to other organizations?

The only money fight for Rousey right now is Cyborg other than maybe a Tate rematch. I just see this as a series of one-off fights for Rousey with little to no build up from anyone else in the weight class before they challenge her.
11/18/12 12:20 PM
mr knowitall

DeLurked -  "She's already getting media that we've never even gotten before"- THIS is why she is in the UFC, and THIS is why Dana is finally putting on women's matches. Not taking anything away from RR, ale is an amazing fighter and I love watching her compete. But UFC is trying to take over the world, and they are going to jump on whatever gets them media attention and noticed by the mainstream. Phone Post

The fact that Dana is just trying to cash in on Ronda over actually building WMMA is why I think this WUFC experiment is gonna fall flat on its face. Dana and co. are taking the swindler's approach rather than the integrity approach (ala SF, Invicta, Bellator, etc.), trying to trick people into watching women fight like they trick us into watching TUF...well, except that he's unsuccessful with the TUF trick. He'll be unsuccessful here as well unless he signs all the relevant players at women's bantamweight (and even 145) and really makes a run an it. If he treats it as a sideshow, then that's how it will be perceived.
11/18/12 12:23 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a fan of WMMA but I'd be a fan of watching Honda Housey get her face smashed by Cyborg.
11/18/12 12:27 PM
mr knowitall

stonepony - 

Yeah, she could if she wanted to. Easy. She doesn't feel like it.

Despite the fact that she's already missed weight at 145? Ok. Let's not rewrite history here. Ronda EXPLICITLY said she was going after the 135 belt so that a fight between her and Cyborg (who was at 145) would be more marketable. Now, that she has the belt, she's calling the shots? Cyborg was a champ before Ronda even started fighting and now Cyborg has to prove herself to Ronda...because she whooped up on the contenders in a lower weight class??? Yeah, JDS should prove himself and cut to LHW to fight Jones too. Gimme a break.

Ronda ducking Cyborg is the most blatant duck in recent memory, because she was actually the top contender at 145 and still chose not to fight her.
11/18/12 12:28 PM
NotTheNoobURLooking4

Edited: 11/18/12 12:28 PM
thatsme - It doesn't make sense for Cyborg to have to try to lose weight, that is like saying Silva has to come down to WW to fight GSP. These people already have to fight to get down to their current weight classes.

You are correct. No one else is in the pre-op tranny league other than Miss Cy-Roid.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.