UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey gets UFC belt, Cris Cyborg must make 135

11/18/12 12:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman -  I don't understand why Cyborg won't just go to 135. Shell destroy Ronda, make a ton of money and be the champ. Phone Post

Because it would harder to cycle on and off of her "meds" if she wanted to make 135 lbs.

11/18/12 12:47 PM
fayceofff
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't see why they would coach male fighters on TUF... If you're trying to bring female fighters to the UFC, why wouldn't you bring in 16 females and introduce them to the UFC audience?
11/18/12 12:49 PM
J Flip

GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE -
Darth Ryase - 

This is ridiculous. Who does she think she is Medusa? Getting gifted a belt is outrageous.

were Dom Cruz & Aldo 'gifted' belts?

They got them the exact same way
I agree a title fight for the belt should be had, but fuck complaining about it. Who the fuck cares. Phone Post
11/18/12 12:50 PM
J Flip

fayceofff - I don't see why they would coach male fighters on TUF... If you're trying to bring female fighters to the UFC, why wouldn't you bring in 16 females and introduce them to the UFC audience?
Gotta work up to that to get an audience. Phone Post
11/18/12 12:52 PM
6ULDV8

16 young, nubile, sexy females that like to parade around in their underwear and pillowfight to ease the tension of being in the house.

Call me sexist all you want, but I'm thinking the ratings in the desired demographic would take a huge leap.

11/18/12 12:55 PM
Forrest Spliffn

DeLurked - "She's already getting media that we've never even gotten before"- THIS is why she is in the UFC, and THIS is why Dana is finally putting on women's matches. Not taking anything away from RR, ale is an amazing fighter and I love watching her compete. But UFC is trying to take over the world, and they are going to jump on whatever gets them media attention and noticed by the mainstream. Phone Post
Yessir. He was bad talking the shit out of women's mma under a year ago.

Now he's saying " try out"
Basically like any successful business man his word means shit when dollar signs start flashing.

Bitch move on his part for sure Phone Post
11/18/12 12:58 PM
Tardiolli

Man can you imagine Ronda's nails on chalkboard voice as a TUF coach?

I'm sure this would get astronomical ratings.
11/18/12 1:12 PM
GrilliamG
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mr knowitall - 
stonepony - 
Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman -  I don't understand why Cyborg won't just go to 135. Shell destroy Ronda, make a ton of money and be the champ. Phone Post

Yeah, she could if she wanted to. Easy. She doesn't feel like it.

Despite the fact that she's already missed weight at 145? Ok. Let's not rewrite history here. Ronda EXPLICITLY said she was going after the 135 belt so that a fight between her and Cyborg (who was at 145) would be more marketable. Now, that she has the belt, she's calling the shots? Cyborg was a champ before Ronda even started fighting and now Cyborg has to prove herself to Ronda...because she whooped up on the contenders in a lower weight class??? Yeah, JDS should prove himself and cut to LHW to fight Jones too. Gimme a break.

Ronda ducking Cyborg is the most blatant duck in recent memory, because she was actually the top contender at 145 and still chose not to fight her.

Honda said this before Cyborg got popped for PED's. Let Cyborg come back and win a fight (assumedly, but we all know probably not) clean.
11/18/12 1:18 PM
EckY
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems to me UFC have got a little too wrapped up in their own world where they dont realise huge mistakes before they make them.  Watering cards down further with 135 pound womens fights is only going to lead to less viewers imo.

I have no problem with WMMA but the talent level is not there yet, casual fans dont want to see a couple of women with corn rows, doing headlock takedowns and windmilling punches in sloppy brawls.

11/18/12 1:57 PM
Steve4192
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/18/12 1:57 PM
thatsme - These people keep saying "gee i dunno why Cyborg won't come down to 135lbs", but won't ask why Rousey won't move up.

There is no 'up'.

The UFC is bringing in the 135 pound division and nothing else.  The 145 pound division is fucking atrocious.  Cyborg is the only decent fighter at that weight.  135 is MUCH deeper and actually has enough talent to put together a meaningful division.  If Cyborg wants to fight in the UFC, she's going to have to fight at 135 just like everyone else.  If not, she is welcome to continue her career elsewhere.

11/18/12 2:09 PM
Clarence Parents
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DeLurked -  "She's already getting media that we've never even gotten before"- THIS is why she is in the UFC, and THIS is why Dana is finally putting on women's matches. Not taking anything away from RR, ale is an amazing fighter and I love watching her compete. But UFC is trying to take over the world, and they are going to jump on whatever gets them media attention and noticed by the mainstream. Phone Post

It's no secret or anything that this is the situation.
11/18/12 2:16 PM
MMALOGIC

all female tuf or half female/half male would do epic ratings #'s.  women are drama queens and drama is what sells.

11/18/12 2:19 PM
OSUkinkledmyBEAVERhole

Good on Dana for making it clear, hopefully the roid raging shemale stops whining about the weight. There is ONLY a 135 weight class, that is the ONLY weight they can fight at. If the she-man can't make the weight, she shouldn't be in the UFC.
11/18/12 2:23 PM
Korpiklaani

mr knowitall - 
DeLurked -  "She's already getting media that we've never even gotten before"- THIS is why she is in the UFC, and THIS is why Dana is finally putting on women's matches. Not taking anything away from RR, ale is an amazing fighter and I love watching her compete. But UFC is trying to take over the world, and they are going to jump on whatever gets them media attention and noticed by the mainstream. Phone Post

The fact that Dana is just trying to cash in on Ronda over actually building WMMA is why I think this WUFC experiment is gonna fall flat on its face. Dana and co. are taking the swindler's approach rather than the integrity approach (ala SF, Invicta, Bellator, etc.), trying to trick people into watching women fight like they trick us into watching TUF...well, except that he's unsuccessful with the TUF trick. He'll be unsuccessful here as well unless he signs all the relevant players at women's bantamweight (and even 145) and really makes a run an it. If he treats it as a sideshow, then that's how it will be perceived.

great post, this is exactly whats going on, we all know what zuffas thots on women are, otherwise the female fighters would have not dissapeared from strikeforce, they had a great platform already for females

what happend when zuffa took over strikeforce, barely any women fights, they all went to invicta

they see rhonda as a big money maker and dont want another org to pick her up, even tho they dont want females fighting in the ufc, its realyl pathetic

id rather see rhonda in invicta

11/18/12 2:29 PM
Broder

The way I see whoever does the calling out is obligated to make the other fighter's weight or they need to shut their pie holes.
11/18/12 2:45 PM
pickula
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Cyborg does decide to go for this, and cuts to 135. It would be nice to watch Rousey armbar her - and that is what would happen.
11/18/12 2:45 PM
tjmitchiscool
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whatever claims to being a prior champ and not having to move down has all been lost when Cyborg got popped for steroids...either make 135 or see yourself out, end of story Phone Post
11/18/12 2:47 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Exactly what i don't want women headlining a ufc card. It's going to make the whole card look like a joke if they end up headlining cards imo
11/18/12 2:50 PM
crumbs

i love how Cyborg fans think she can actually make 145. you dummy's, clearly this fight should be at 170, for the welter weight womens belt.
11/18/12 3:11 PM
Choken Necks
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - 

Yeah, she could if she wanted to. Easy. She doesn't feel like it.

lmao vu
11/18/12 4:21 PM
Authority Figure

6ULDV8 - 

16 young, nubile, sexy females that like to parade around in their underwear and pillowfight to ease the tension of being in the house.

Call me sexist all you want, but I'm thinking the ratings in the desired demographic would take a huge leap.

You must be forgetting another great reality show where they took 25 of the finest sufer chicks on the planet and gave them a show to see who would win a major sponsorship. They were in bikinis for the entire series, and that shit still tanked. I was heartbroken.

11/18/12 11:35 PM
ender852
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for the love of god please make an all female TUF...

11/19/12 6:02 AM
Cya

ttt
12/6/12 7:45 AM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE - when Roidborg realizes other WMMA orgs pay $225 a fight she will undergo a medical miracle and make 135

lol

12/6/12 9:51 AM
Whambo
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mr knowitall - 

The fact that Dana is just trying to cash in on Ronda over actually building WMMA is why I think this WUFC experiment is gonna fall flat on its face. Dana and co. are taking the swindler's approach rather than the integrity approach (ala SF, Invicta, Bellator, etc.), trying to trick people into watching women fight like they trick us into watching TUF...well, except that he's unsuccessful with the TUF trick. He'll be unsuccessful here as well unless he signs all the relevant players at women's bantamweight (and even 145) and really makes a run an it. If he treats it as a sideshow, then that's how it will be perceived.

Without Gina, we probably wouldn't have Ronda. Without Bisping UK MMA wouldn't be as developed as it is now. Fact is big stars = development, and with Ronda coming in we could see a big explosion in women's MMA. Hopefully this leads to a TUF season where at least half the fighters are women which will give some much needed depth to the division.

People seem to think WMMA will not work because of how shitty it has been in boxing. But the UFC is totally dif than the boxing model, they really do have a chance to develop the division and build stars. Dana talks about a female boxer that could have been big, but every female boxer pretty much ducked her. You can't get away with that shit in the UFC.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.