UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The Best Striker At Welterweight

11/19/12 9:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SugaFoot
919 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like Nick Diaz is ug's choice for best striker @ ww

11/19/12 9:54 AM
sacredhate
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how is alves not on here.

he only gets beat when people stay away from his striking.

only GSP outstruck him...he's been beaten, but rarely in a striking match.
11/19/12 10:11 AM
SugaFoot
919 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sacredhate - how is alves not on here.

He is on there lol..

11/19/12 10:14 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit.

That was easy.
11/19/12 10:19 AM
UGCTT_Dinamita
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siyar The Killer Phone Post
11/19/12 10:27 AM
New School
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Other. OP asked who was the best pure striker, not the best MMA striker.
Ludwig is a K-1 vet and former muay Thai world champion. Nobody in the WW division has a better striking pedigree.
11/19/12 10:30 AM
SugaFoot

New School - Other. OP asked who was the best pure striker, not the best MMA striker.
Ludwig is a K-1 vet and former muay Thai world champion. Nobody in the WW division has a better striking pedigree.

Ludwig is a great striker and especially on paper- but a lot of the guys we are naming could have great success in kickboxing if they went that route.

11/19/12 11:11 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nick diaz nut hugger -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  1. Erick Silva
2. GSP
3. Condit/Penn

I think Condit is a better pure striker than GSP and Penn probably is too. But when you add in GSP's threat of the takedown, he is better than then. Phone Post

You can't put Penn above Diaz. The two had a predominantly striking match a little over a year ago. Diaz came out on top.

Pure striking, Condit and Diaz have to be in the top two spots. Of course I think Diaz is better, but I don't really care for that shitstorm of a debate to erupt. 

Also, I don't know how you put Erick Silva at the top when he hasn't fought the better strikers at 170. I like the kid, too, but to put him at #1 is a little crazy, my friend.

I don't care who Erick Silva has fought, I think he is the best striker in the division. I'm not basing it on who deserve what. There's nobody in that division with his combination of speed, power and technique in the striking game.

And I put Penn ahead of Diaz because he is a more skilled striker and proved it when they fought, it wasn't until Diaz used his size and cardio against the cage Diaz started winning. I don't think he has the boxing skill that Penn has, Diaz has to get his opponent against the cage to be a very effective puncher. I think that's why Freddy Roach still had Penn ahead of him on his best mma boxers list even after they fought. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:20 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz can be beaten by run n baby legkick decision but anyone who decides to get in a dogfight with him on the feet will get beat.

Paul Daley would leave most these guys face down ass up in a striking bout
11/19/12 11:21 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Diaz was just outstruck by Condit so how can he be the best?

11/19/12 11:30 AM
NastyNate420
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FlaccidJoe Isn't Elite -  Diaz has zero defense. GSP is much better. Phone Post

This, I'm huge Diaz fan but he eats a lot of punches, in a pure striking match I think GSP, Alves and even Hendricks would eat him up. I would have voted for BJ but he has no cardio, he's the best in the first 5 min.
11/19/12 11:33 AM
chris curry
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just striking then I'd def say alves
11/19/12 11:38 AM
bhealthy

duane ludvig is a better striker than gsp
11/19/12 11:46 AM
sacredhate
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SugaFoot - 
sacredhate - how is alves not on here.

He is on there lol..

yeah...with a mere 8% of the vote...ridiculous considering Hendricks who just discovered he can KO people this year has 6% of the vote? and diaz has 30%?

no way, no how. Alves is a versatile and successful striker. Hendricks has one weapon, Diaz, well, he has two. Alves has 8 and is effective with all of them.
11/19/12 11:49 AM
rockwell
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -

"GSP probably has the best MMA striking too."

Anderson gets hit much less by much better strikers, and routinely annihilates guys with strikes. How is GSP a better striker than Anderson, or JDS, or Aldo, or many other guys?

Which strikers has Anderson faced recently that are as good as Condit? Phone Post
11/19/12 11:51 AM
sitchpack

Diaz, anyone who says otherwise is not looking at it objectively.

Before voting, please remember that the question is not 'who is your fave fighter at welterweight' like most of these threads turn in to. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:55 AM
rockwell
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In terms of the best pure striking I'd say Condit.

Diaz has better straight up boxing but isn't as well rounded.

Kampman is technically up there but lacks the granite chin of Diaz and Condit.

GSP deserves a mention but I think if we we are talking pure striking and take away the threat of his takedowns a lot of guys would do a lot better against him, the Condit fight being a perfect example.

In MMA GSP was able to get the better of him on the feet as Condit didn't seem to be able to get off properly.

No disrespect to GSP though he's a total specimen and his athleticism is unrivalled. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:58 AM
UGSlapshot

BoilerBrawnByBeatdown -
McBottery - 
mclay - Strictly boxing...Diaz has better hands and probably better cardio. Definitely higher punch volume...IMHO. Phone Post
Where in the OP does it say boxing? There is a difference between striking and boxing. Phone Post

wtf?

if Diaz is a better boxer than someone else is a kickboxer/muay thai fighter, Diaz is the better striker.
This is basically how I see it. Phone Post
11/19/12 12:05 PM
sacredhate

if you put these men in a cage together, no grappling or submissions and scored a striking match...i don't see diaz beating Thiago Alves. I just don't.
11/19/12 12:07 PM
McBottery
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - 
McBottery - 
mclay - Strictly boxing...Diaz has better hands and probably better cardio. Definitely higher punch volume...IMHO. Phone Post
Where in the OP does it say boxing? There is a difference between striking and boxing. Phone Post

wtf?

if Diaz is a better boxer than someone else is a kickboxer/muay thai fighter, Diaz is the better striker.

Thing is he isn't, Condit proved that.

I'm sure GSP would prove it to, but I don't see Nick earning a title shot unless they give him gimme opponents.

11/19/12 12:13 PM
HammerHead
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1.GSP
2.Diaz
3.Alves
4.Kampmann
5.Big Rig (based on the fact that if you strike with him for too long eventually he is gonna put you out) Phone Post
11/19/12 12:15 PM
sitchpack

McBottery -
BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - 
McBottery - 

wtf?

I'm sure GSP would prove it to, but I don't see Nick earning a title shot unless they give him gimme opponents.

So BJ is a gimme opponent? Gimme a fucking break. Phone Post
11/19/12 12:15 PM
SugaFoot

Edited: 11/19/12 12:15 PM

GSP and Nick Diaz are neck and neck now! Interesting..

11/19/12 12:18 PM
Lun8
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Niiiiiiiiiiiiickkkkkk Diiiiiiiiiaaazzzzzzz.  Andre Ward would agree

11/19/12 12:22 PM
McBottery
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/19/12 12:22 PM
sitchpack - 
McBottery -
BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - 
McBottery - 

wtf?

So BJ is a gimme opponent? Gimme a fucking break. Phone Post

Did I say that?  He isn't going to fight BJ again, and beating BJ shouldn't make you the number 1 contender in the WW division anyway.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.