UnderGround Forums >> The Best Striker At Welterweight

11/19/12 12:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGSlapshot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McBottery -
BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - 
McBottery - 
mclay - Strictly boxing...Diaz has better hands and probably better cardio. Definitely higher punch volume...IMHO. Phone Post
Where in the OP does it say boxing? There is a difference between striking and boxing. Phone Post

wtf?

if Diaz is a better boxer than someone else is a kickboxer/muay thai fighter, Diaz is the better striker.

Thing is he isn't, Condit proved that.

I'm sure GSP would prove it to, but I don't see Nick earning a title shot unless they give him gimme opponents.

Condit and Diaz need to rematch IMO. As much as that fight is disputed constantly. Phone Post
11/19/12 12:29 PM
sitchpack

McBottery -
sitchpack - 
McBottery -
BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - 
McBottery - 
mclay - Strictly boxing...Diaz has better hands and probably better cardio. Definitely higher punch volume...IMHO. Phone Post
Where in the OP does it say boxing? There is a difference between striking and boxing. Phone Post

wtf?

if Diaz is a better boxer than someone else is a kickboxer/muay thai fighter, Diaz is the better striker.

I'm sure GSP would prove it to, but I don't see Nick earning a title shot unless they give him gimme opponents.

So BJ is a gimme opponent? Gimme a fucking break. Phone Post

Did I say that?  He isn't going to fight BJ again, and beating BJ shouldn't make you the number 1 contender in the WW division anyway.

So condit outpoints diaz.by the skin of his teeth, decision could have gone either way, and you still think he doesnt deserve to fight GSP?

Fans like you are fucking terrible for the sport, 'I dont like fighter so im going to use captain hindsight logic and put a negative spin on a guy's career'. So by your logic, condit climbed the ladder by beating Hardy?

Again gimme a fucking break, if you're going to use shit logic to bash a fighter, make sure it cant be turned just as easy on your 'fave' fighter.

Condit had his shot and failed, lets see what Diaz can do. Phone Post
11/19/12 5:29 PM
AndrewJitsu
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

French Fries Malone - 
AndrewJitsu -

1. Nick Diaz 

2. GSP

3. BJ Penn

4. Erick Silva

5. Condit

If nick Diaz is a better striker than condit, then how come condit out maneuvered him and landed at will getting a victory? Phone Post

I saw the fight a little differently.    Just because I have Nick at 1 and Condit at 5 doesnt mean he is THAT much better than him.  These 5 fighters can all have crazy wars striking with eachother.  

11/19/12 6:01 PM
DaemonDragon
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say GSP or Diaz.

It's a little tough to rate GSP though because he benefits so much from the takedown threat. Even prior to the eyepoke, he was looking underwhelming against Shields, whose striking is horrible. Shields wasn't worried about the takedown, in fact he probably would have welcomed it, which limited GSP's striking noticably.

Nate, Siyar and Daley are glaring omissions from this poll.
YouCantHandleMyRiddum - Nick Diaz was just outstruck by Condit so how can he be the best?

That fight was basically a draw. Even if Diaz was outstruck by Condit (which I don't even think he was), one single fight where one guy barely outstrikes the other proves nothing.

I'm more impressed by Diaz's body of striking work than by Condit's. Though I wouldn't say the gap is large.
McBottery - if you put these men in a cage together, no grappling or submissions and scored a striking match...i don't see diaz beating Thiago Alves. I just don't.

Alves has t-rex arms. Diaz would have a huge height and reach over him. Alves' best weapon would be his low kicks - he's not outboxing Diaz.

I think Diaz would eat some low kicks, but it would be hard for Alves to truly square up to throw a low kick when Diaz is constantly pressuring him and moving him backwards. When you're moving backwards it's hard to throw kicks (which is why Condit had to throw the "leg jabs" at Diaz rather than power kicks, since Condit was constantly moving backwards).

In a pure striking match I'd pick Daiz over Alves and I would be pretty confident in that. Alves' raech is too short, and Diaz's pressure would make a low kick-centric strategy very hard to employ for more than a few moments here and there.
11/19/12 6:05 PM
bhealthy

MARQUART
11/19/12 6:15 PM
3rdLion
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daley is definitely top 5 for me, especially as he fucked up Kampmann. I'd love to see if Condit would stand with him and what the outcome would be.
11/19/12 6:28 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Erik Silva. OP says "pure striking" as in if they were in a striking only fight.

11/19/12 6:40 PM
CaliKush
361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alves IMO

But gsp is most effective cause the td threat. Phone Post
11/19/12 7:21 PM
CLINT NJHC
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Diaz All Day.
11/20/12 5:35 PM
McBottery

sitchpack - 
McBottery -
sitchpack - 
McBottery -
BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - 
McBottery - 

wtf?

Did I say that?  He isn't going to fight BJ again, and beating BJ shouldn't make you the number 1 contender in the WW division anyway.

So condit outpoints diaz.by the skin of his teeth, decision could have gone either way, and you still think he doesnt deserve to fight GSP?

Fans like you are fucking terrible for the sport, 'I dont like fighter so im going to use captain hindsight logic and put a negative spin on a guy's career'. So by your logic, condit climbed the ladder by beating Hardy?

Again gimme a fucking break, if you're going to use shit logic to bash a fighter, make sure it cant be turned just as easy on your 'fave' fighter.

What the hell are you even raging on about?

I fucking love watching Diaz fight, I just don't think he is the best striker in the division and I don't think he deserves a title shot coming off of a loss, and by your logic that means I don't like him and am bashing him?

And no, Condit didn't climb the ladder soley by beating Hardy, he earned it by going on a 5 fight winning streak in the UFC with wins over Jake Ellenburger, Rory Macdonald, Dan Hardy, Dong Hyun Kim, and Nick Diaz, with 2 of those wins being devastating knockouts.  And Condit is no where near my "fave fighter."

11/20/12 7:13 PM
Nexuscrawlers
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up -

Erik Silva. OP says "pure striking" as in if they were in a striking only fight.

This is what I voted. Phone Post
11/20/12 7:16 PM
wreckker
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

French Fries Malone - Wonder boy Thompson Phone Post
He has huge bag of tricks

I was shocked matt brown beat him

Inexpierience, gassed defending takedowns, Maybe took brown lightly?

If he isnt aleady bestbstriker he could be inna few more fights Phone Post
11/20/12 7:21 PM
TartanTopTeamSextoy#2

@RickJLee: Freddie Roach just told me "the diaz brothers are the toughest guys on the planet and the only MMA fighters that could make it in boxing"

Nick diaz Phone Post
11/20/12 7:28 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wreckker -
French Fries Malone - Wonder boy Thompson Phone Post
He has huge bag of tricks

I was shocked matt brown beat him

Inexpierience, gassed defending takedowns, Maybe took brown lightly?

If he isnt aleady bestbstriker he could be inna few more fights Phone Post
It looked to me like Wonderboy wasn't used to hard grappling like that and that's why he gasses out so bad. He may have been in great cardio shape from running and such, but his muscles weren't prepared for hard grappling at all. Phone Post
11/20/12 7:38 PM
UGCTT_Shope
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sitchpack -
McBottery -
sitchpack - 
McBottery -
BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - 
McBottery - 

wtf?

Diaz would probably do worse. His TD defense seems to be even worse than Condits. Phone Post
11/20/12 7:42 PM
Nexuscrawlers
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Shope -
sitchpack -
McBottery -
sitchpack - 
McBottery -
BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - 
McBottery - 

wtf?

Diaz would probably do worse. His TD defense seems to be even worse than Condits. Phone Post
Diaz is dangerous off his back but not as active imo. Phone Post
11/20/12 9:08 PM
Binson

Thiago alves all day! Phone Post
11/20/12 11:00 PM
needalife
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why isn't thiago alves higher than that. Man has the most Technical striking in that division and hit you with anything Phone Post
11/20/12 11:16 PM
KingD87
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gokudamus stole my name - Diaz can be beaten by run n baby legkick decision but anyone who decides to get in a dogfight with him on the feet will get beat.

Paul Daley would leave most these guys face down ass up in a striking bout
Same Daley that was outs truck by Misaki?

IMO, it's Alves, GSP then Condit. Phone Post
11/21/12 11:20 AM
crazychris
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.pohrani.com/f/u/M7/3CXXHT0u/1341220786457.gif

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.