UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW slams Big Dan, wants Cote vs. Sakara rematch

11/18/12 9:03 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In the first round of the final UFC 154 prelim bout in Montreal, Alessio Sakara dropped Patrick Cote with elbows. Cote hung on to a single leg, as Sakara based and countered with hammerfists. Several landed to the prohibited back of the head area.

Cote slumped semi conscious to the mat, referee Dan Miragliotta stopped it at 1:26, and appeared to signal that Sakara was the winner. The Canadian crowd booed angrily.

However, after a short commercial break, Cote was declared the winner, by disqualification.

As is permitted under Quebec athletic commission rules, Miragliotta had viewed a video replay, and consulted with Quebec officials.

As related by Kevin Iole, Miragliotta said he clearly warned Sakara, twice, and was told by the commission that he had to rule a disqualification.

Ordinarily in the event of an illegal blow, the referee would determine whether or not the fighter could continue, and make the disqualification decision on that basis. There replay does not seem to show two clear warnings, and if two warnings were given and the back of the head attacks continued, why was the end of the fight called, seemingly for Sakara?

At the post fight press con, UFC President Dana White said he wanted a rematch.

"That was a horrible, horrible job by the referee," said White. "It's mind-blowing how he could stand there and watch that many punches to the back of someone's head. It's crazy."

Sakara released a statement via Facebook, in his native Italian.

Ci sono momenti dove l'entusiasmo per una vittoria così faticata non lascia tempo per nessuno. Non so se con le parole riuscirò a spiegarvi quello che sto provando..adesso mi viene in mente una parola..Vittoria...nn sto parlando della Vittoria di un uomo sopra un altro uomo queste sono definizioni da dizionari e sinceramente non m interessanno non mi appartengono come non m interessa la parola squalifica adesso. La Vittoria delle quale voglio rendervi partecipi e' quella su stessi quella sulle paure quella sul Dolore fisico quella su un ideale su un sogno..se oggi ho vinto e' perche' sapevo come vincere..conosco il percorso e so che solo tramite le sconfitte puo'arrivare una Vittoria..la Mia che io dedico a voi..ma voglio dedicarla in particolare a tutti quelli che vinceranno dopo delle sconfitte e vinceranno perche'come me nn smettono di combattere mai..il resto lasciamolo a verdetti sbagliati che nn possono cambiare una vittoria avvenuta per ko..

Oggi abbiamo dato 3 knockdown a un atleta che nemmeno Anderson Silva e Tito Ortiz sono riusciti a farlo e questo perché dentro la gabbia stavo con tutti voi .. E lui era solo
Vi Amo davvero grazie a tutti voi Alessio Sakara

Translation by Google Translate

There are times where the enthusiasm for a win so tough leaves no time for anyone. I do not know if I can explain in words what I'm feeling right now .. I can think of a word .. Victory ... No I'm talking about the victory of a man over another man, these are definitions from dictionaries and really do not belong as I am interested in the word disualification now... I knew how to win... I know the path and I know that only through defeats arrives Victory... I dedicate it to you... but I want to dedicate it especially to all those who win after defeats.

Today we had three knockdown to an athlete and even Anderson Silva and Tito Ortiz weren't able to  that.

I really love all of you,

Alessio Sakara

11/18/12 9:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Pariah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't get to see the actual fight yet, and I know that some people here were saying it should've been a TKO for Sakara, but I agree with the DQ.. Those are some pretty bad shots to the back of the head... Phone Post
11/18/12 9:28 AM
billyball2
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't see the PPV, but if he was warned twice and still smashed the back of the head I think the decision is understandable.
11/18/12 9:31 AM
Radio Raheem
1326 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/18/12 9:40 AM
billyball2 - I didn't see the PPV, but if he was warned twice and still smashed the back of the head I think the decision is understandable.

There was no warning. Big Dan looked right at it then waved the fight off like it was a TKO. Still, I agree with the DQ.

11/18/12 9:31 AM
N5Z
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont remember any warnings, certainly none during the 8 strikes to the back of the head.  Big Dan didnt jump in to stop the illegal blows.  He jumped when Cote went limp.

11/18/12 9:36 AM
Entreri

DQ for sure. I see 7 back of the head hits.

That kind of low class shit deserves no rematch.
11/18/12 9:41 AM
Radio Raheem
1326 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for GIF of Dana White slamming Big Dan.  Dudes gotta be strong as hell. 

11/18/12 9:50 AM
mike_rizzo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

heat of the moment you cant fully blame sakara Phone Post
11/18/12 9:53 AM
Mayhem13
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only 2 or maybe 3 of those shots didn't connect with the ear. If a shot hits the ear, it can't be back of the head..

I can understand a NC..but the DQ was extreme. Especially after never getting a warning.

A lot of people are being swayed by the commentators reaction. There were no more then 3 shots to the back of the head.

NC. Sure. DQ. No. Phone Post
11/18/12 9:54 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We ALL want a Sakara vs Cote rematch! Phone Post
11/18/12 9:55 AM
tsm29
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Radio Raheem - 
billyball2 - I didn't see the PPV, but if he was warned twice and still smashed the back of the head I think the decision is understandable.

There was no warning. Big Dan looked right at it then waved the fight off like it was a TKO. Still, I agree with the DQ.

he says something to sakara at the start of the gif and appears ready to stop it on the 4th punch. he definitely wasn't audible with the warning, but it did look like he gave it.
11/18/12 9:58 AM
Bobby Lupo
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana should do the right thing and give Sakara the KOTN bonus, then make a rematch and Sakara can beat this guy up again.

Sakara won the fight with UFC 1 rules,

Sakara won the fight with UFC 154 rules. Only 2 truly illegal shots and one came after Dan started to separate them

11/18/12 10:03 AM
Vitor29

Bobby Lupo -

Dana should do the right thing and give Sakara the KOTN bonus, then make a rematch and Sakara can beat this guy up again.

Sakara won the fight with UFC 1 rules,

Sakara won the fight with UFC 154 rules. Only 2 truly illegal shots and one came after Dan started to separate them

2 illegal shots? You gotta be trolling, loops. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:04 AM
stonepony

Remember when Frank was saved because Lesnar landed one glancing blow to the back of the head as Frank turned? Stopped it, stood them up, and took a point.
11/18/12 10:10 AM
FreightTrain

Thanks for the gif, I missed this fight.

And, dayam...
11/18/12 10:12 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've brought this up on a few threads now but do you guys remember Erick Silva vs Carlo Prater at UFC 142?

Silva was DQ'd for far less than Sakara. Silva vs Prater should have been a NC, it was the right call to DQ Sakara. I like Sakara, I don't think for one second that he is a dirty fighter, I think he just got caught up in the heat of the moment. The majority of people would have probably done the same thing by throwing their fists at Cote's head, not placing the shots, just hitting him as hard as you can desperately trying to get a TKO.

Can't wait for a rematch because although the fight was short it was fucking good lol! Put it on the Main Card this time Dana! These guys will put on a show! Phone Post
11/18/12 10:12 AM
sweepnchoke
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never heard any warning on the PPV, we counted 4 definate and 2 more potential shots to the back of the head in the final flurry.

I would have preferred the bout to be ruled a NC, but the offending fighter does have to suffer some sort of penalty in order to hammer home the message that they need to be more calculated with the shots when they have someone in trouble instead of just wailing away.

However the end result being a DQ is the refs fault, not Sakara's. Sakara should have been issued a warning, and then a point deduction if another landed. The bout either should have continued after Cote recovered, or ruled a NC if Cote was not able to recover.
11/18/12 10:23 AM
MartinLav

Total disgrace. 9 hits to the back of the head, 7 clear hits for sure.

Fighters should get the boot for pulling shit like that out.
11/18/12 10:29 AM
demonsurge
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watching it live, I am 100% convinced that Dan waved it off and considered it a legit knock out.

People were booing crazy loud, I have no idea how he could have possibly let that happened for so long and then thought Sakara won.
11/18/12 10:31 AM
Mayhem13
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MartinLav - Total disgrace. 9 hits to the back of the head, 7 clear hits for sure.

Fighters should get the boot for pulling shit like that out.
9?

Rewatch the gif.

The 4th an 5th hits are illegal. Every other shot connects with the ear. Back of the head is considered anywhere inside of the "Mohawk region" making all but 2 legal (fight was stopped before a 3rd landed)

Urijah Faber confirmed that if a punch touches the ear, it's not back of the head.

So many people get caught up in what the commentary says, an cant think for or understand what they are seeing themselves.

I have said multiple times a NC could be justified in the situation. But not a DQ. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:41 AM
jimbonice

Before the fight, one of my newbie friends asked who the big ref was. I said Dan, and that he makes some bone decisions. He met expectations. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:52 AM
Kneeblock
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking at that gif, I only see 2 that land to the back of the head. The rest seem in the legal zone.

11/18/12 11:02 AM
Jiu Jitsu Panda
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rules are gone over in the locker room. Some rules are told as "this is your only warning, you will not get one in the cage" That don't have to give out warnings in the fight.
11/18/12 11:08 AM
Bobby Lupo

Rematch in Milan be fair Phone Post
11/18/12 11:16 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Tard job by the ref.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.