UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW slams Big Dan, wants Cote vs. Sakara rematch

11/18/12 3:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kanabull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was so blatant I can't believe anybody is arguing otherwise. I was yelling at the TV as I watched it last night after like the second shot. I couldn't believe Dan M just stood there and watched Cote eat more shots to the back of the head after that second one that dropped him.
11/18/12 3:41 PM
Kanabull

It actually made me appreciate Mazzigatti when he stopped the Lesnar/Mir fight after that first back of the head shot.
11/18/12 3:47 PM
Mayhem13
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 -

You guys realize the "mohawk" rule is something that Big Jon came up with and isn't the actual ruling on striking the back of the head right?  And just because he glances his ear, doesn't mean he can't still hit the back of the head with the strikes.  I'm just surprised that one of the people in this thread being a complete fucking moron is a mod.  You guys should maybe have a basic comprehension test for mods.

I am going by what Big John (who teaches classes on becoming a referee) an also what Urijah Faber said on Inside MMA about strikes to the back of the head. Vinny Magaleas also commented on how t should be a NC and not a DQ.

Do you work in the MMA industry? If not then I am sure you are a licensed ref by an athletic commission though right? Or Atleast a high level professional fighter? Oh that's right..your probably just a fan, who thinks he knows it all. Gotcha. You must be right.. Phone Post
11/18/12 3:48 PM
Steven S

Mayhem13 - 
MartinLav - Total disgrace. 9 hits to the back of the head, 7 clear hits for sure.

Fighters should get the boot for pulling shit like that out.
9?

Rewatch the gif.

The 4th an 5th hits are illegal. Every other shot connects with the ear. Back of the head is considered anywhere inside of the "Mohawk region" making all but 2 legal (fight was stopped before a 3rd landed)

Urijah Faber confirmed that if a punch touches the ear, it's not back of the head.

So many people get caught up in what the commentary says, an cant think for or understand what they are seeing themselves.

I have said multiple times a NC could be justified in the situation. But not a DQ. Phone Post

At least someone is opening their eyes. SHots to the ear are on the SIDE OF THE HEAD NOT THE BACK. Why listen to Rogan when he has no clue obviously.

11/18/12 3:54 PM
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayhem13 - 
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 -

You guys realize the "mohawk" rule is something that Big Jon came up with and isn't the actual ruling on striking the back of the head right?  And just because he glances his ear, doesn't mean he can't still hit the back of the head with the strikes.  I'm just surprised that one of the people in this thread being a complete fucking moron is a mod.  You guys should maybe have a basic comprehension test for mods.

I am going by what Big John (who teaches classes on becoming a referee) an also what Urijah Faber said on Inside MMA about strikes to the back of the head. Vinny Magaleas also commented on how t should be a NC and not a DQ.

Do you work in the MMA industry? If not then I am sure you are a licensed ref by an athletic commission though right? Or Atleast a high level professional fighter? Oh that's right..your probably just a fan, who thinks he knows it all. Gotcha. You must be right.. Phone Post

I understand that Big John teaches reffing classes, but his definition is not the official definition in every rule book about back of the head strikes.  I do agree that it should have been a NC and not a DQ because Dan didn't warn Sakara.  I have stated that many times since the fight last night on here.

I am not a liscenced MMA referee but I do have experience being a referee in other sports.  And I also understand the rule difference that can occur under different jurisdictions, or that even each ref has an individual representation of the rule set in their respective sport.  From what I have read through various news sites so far, the fight was actually called a DQ because Dan stated to the commission officials that he had warned Sakara twice (on the broadcast I only heard one warning).

Back of the head strikes (especially the spot where 2 of the strikes landed, the base of the skull) are very dangerous, and the officials need to do a very good job of making sure shit like what happened last night, doesn't happen.  Sakara may have lost the fight last night, but where he hit Cote with two of those shots could have had a lot worse outcome for both of them.

11/18/12 4:01 PM
bhealthy

based on the reactions to the blows by the downed competitor in that vid, the ref did nothing to be discredited for. i can see the argument for a NC vs. a DQ, and perhaps it can still be changed to that.

if it were I he was protecting the health of by doing his job, i would have thanked him after the adrenaline wore off and my head were cleared.

big ups to ref for prioritizing player safetey over beta- male fans bloodlust
11/18/12 4:03 PM
bhealthy

body went limp more than once. ref probably knows a little about physiology and possible effects banned by rules occipital pummeling
11/18/12 4:08 PM
bhealthy

i thought usa mma was moving away from human cockfighting aura. if so player safety should be at the top mate
11/18/12 10:40 PM
Megatherium
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damned DQ cost me a 12/12 night.

I was some upset!

11/18/12 10:55 PM
ShocknAwe
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this is the first time where I've actually believed shots to the back of the head made a difference.

To me it looks like Cote is ok, then out, back to ok and then out again. All from back of the head shots
11/18/12 11:05 PM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bhealthy - based on the reactions to the blows by the downed competitor in that vid, the ref did nothing to be discredited for. i can see the argument for a NC vs. a DQ, and perhaps it can still be changed to that.

if it were I he was protecting the health of by doing his job, i would have thanked him after the adrenaline wore off and my head were cleared.

big ups to ref for prioritizing player safetey over beta- male fans bloodlust

huh? He stared at it happening how does the shitty ref deserve props for that?

11/18/12 11:18 PM
Megatherium
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this man had been the referee of that fight last night there wouldn't of been no trouble.

And I would of had my 12/12 night!

http://youtu.be/QIauEsaFjIc
11/18/12 11:28 PM
Strykr619

This fight should have been a no contest not a win by DQ. Ref should have stopped Sakara and deducted a point for hitting the back of the head. 

Total boob job by Ref and good that Sakara is appealing DQ loss. 

11/18/12 11:28 PM
JBASS
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just watched the end of the fight - you can hear Dan give Sakara the warning just before he stopped the fight. I think the problem was those shots to the back of the head were so hard and fast that Cote was risking getting hurt badly and Dan felt he had to stop the fight, there was no chance to take a point. Kinda like Mir vs. Sims 1, only with stomps to the face.

I think the right decision was definitely made.
11/18/12 11:46 PM
ramaham

Mayhem13 - Only 2 or maybe 3 of those shots didn't connect with the ear. If a shot hits the ear, it can't be back of the head..

I can understand a NC..but the DQ was extreme. Especially after never getting a warning.

A lot of people are being swayed by the commentators reaction. There were no more then 3 shots to the back of the head.

NC. Sure. DQ. No. Phone Post
This, I think I counted 4. Not
7-8.... Phone Post
11/19/12 12:51 AM
Kings21
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man....I am disappoint. I was just able to watch the fights tonight so I'm a little late to this inevitable thread but before that fight started I sat there thinking "huh....Good 'ol Miragliotta hasnt poked anyone in the eyes or steamrolled a lightweight in a while it seems. Maybe hes turned a corner in his reffing career and will, against the odds set by him earlier in his career, go on to be one of the better refs in the business."

Never again will I question Big Dan's inability to be a good ref. The guy just cant get it together. I wish he could because he seems like a good guy and all but damn man...how do you let someone just tee off on the back of the noggin that many times?

Also I counted about 5 or 6 shots to the back of the head. I think there was an initial one or two and then an ear shot. Dan should have at least gave a verbal warning when the first one landed and especially after the second. You cant just sit there and go "oh that was only two, i'll wait and see how many times he decides to follow up with more back of the head shots because he hit the ear a couple times too." Terrible non-call and IMO that should definitely be a NC. No winner in that outcome.
11/19/12 12:56 AM
UGCTT_UncleCameron

Radio Raheem -

In for GIF of Dana White slamming Big Dan.  Dudes gotta be strong as hell. 

Bravo! Phone Post
11/19/12 1:06 AM
othree
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I counted two direct to the back of the head shots. One was questionable, the rest were beyond legal.

The one issue though is that as Cote as trying to get to his feet, he did get hit with the first of two serious back of the head punches. It dropped him back down. I think Dan should have halted the action and at worst taken a point, but then if Cote could, allowed it to continue. If Cote decided he couldn't continue, then call it a DQ.

11/19/12 1:16 AM
madmav
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the best part of the fight was goldie ranting on about how cote has never been dropped and then sakara unloaded some vicious elbows that legit dropped cote.. fight went down hill after that. it's possible cote may have recovered and finished the fight or even win the fight.. but atm before the hulk style hammer fists it wasn't looking good for cote imo. 

11/19/12 3:59 AM
MMA6053
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/19/12 4:00 AM
Much respect for Sakara as he was literally noones choice. Yes he blatantly struck the back of the head but the ref should have pulled him up immediately and i.m.o Cote was just barely hanging on...
11/19/12 11:39 AM
MMA4Hugs
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't believe anyone is arguing that most of those shots were legal. Sakara was wailing on the back of his head on purpose, hard! The ones that hit ear were the accidents. Wow. I can only guess that Mirgliotta saw Cindy Crawford through the cage and forgot where he was for a few seconds.

In the crowd we were chanting "BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT" when we saw the replay, and note that we couldn't hear any of the commentary. Everyone around me was saying "Cote was on his way out and Sakara would probably have won, but those were just blatant illegal blows". 

Anyone claiming otherwise should forfeit any right to referee a fight in the future, ever.

11/19/12 11:55 AM
pm1964
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayhem13 -  Only 2 or maybe 3 of those shots didn't connect with the ear. If a shot hits the ear, it can't be back of the head..

I can understand a NC..but the DQ was extreme. Especially after never getting a warning.

A lot of people are being swayed by the commentators reaction. There were no more then 3 shots to the back of the head.

NC. Sure. DQ. No. Phone Post

Exactly what I thought while watch it too.
11/19/12 12:27 PM
ausgepicht

madmav - 

the best part of the fight was goldie ranting on about how cote has never been dropped and then sakara unloaded some vicious elbows that legit dropped cote.. fight went down hill after that. it's possible cote may have recovered and finished the fight or even win the fight.. but atm before the hulk style hammer fists it wasn't looking good for cote imo. 

I think that is why Sakara WAS using elbows. Cote's chin is as Rogan says a solid one. However, I don't care how good your chin is, an elbow is a battering ram that unlike a hand won't break with repeated bludgeoning use. 

Of course if you listen to the average OGing douchebag here, elbows only cut.

11/19/12 1:33 PM
Dallas Winston
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 - 

LOL

Homie ... would you want to be 100% clear on that before spouting off such a scathing opinion?

Because you're 100% incorrect. I'd strongly suggest familiarizing yourself with the rules, which clearly state the back of the head of the rule is a combo of the mohawk and headphones definition.
11/19/12 1:34 PM
Olive Garden Table For One
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BengalWACO - 
stonepony - Remember when Frank was saved because Lesnar landed one glancing blow to the back of the head as Frank turned? Stopped it, stood them up, and took a point.

Yes. I remember that. It was surely a TKO early in the first if not for that call.

I have 2000 resons to rever forgive that Mustache Pete

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.