UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hendricks: Please, please, please give me GSP

11/18/12 10:08 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The idea came to Johny Hendricks in a dream - a lunging right hook followed by a straight left to the chin. He had never thrown it before in a fight, but he did Saturday night, landing it on former training partner Martin Kampmann. At just :46 seconds of the first round Kampmann was out, and Hendricks had won his second straight bout that had been billed as a title eliminator.

“I’m a wrestler and can knock people out,” exclaimed the two-time national champion at Oklahoma State. “That’s pretty sweet, huh?”

Hendricks has now won five in a row, including three knockouts in under three minutes total time. 

He will tell you over and over, all he wants a title shot against UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

Hendricks’ voice nearly cracked as he repeated “please” four times in his request for a title bout against GSP.

“I’ve cleared out the division now and there’s only one more guy I want to fight and he’s at the top,” said Hendrick. “I want a shot at that title. Nothing else matters in the world.”

However, with the UFC hoping it’s on the verge of booking a long-proposed mega-fight between St. Pierre and Anderson Silva, Hendricks appears as nothing more than a backup plan.

“Of course, I don’t like it,” Hendricks said of Silva vs. St Pierre. “But what can I do? I can go out there and finish fights. That’s all I can do. I made my case. He was a tough fighter. I knew he was going to be. I finished him. Hopefully all that’s left is Georges St. Pierre.”

In a further wrinkle, St. Pierre wasn’t sold on fighting Silva after UFC 154. He made it clear that he would rather stay in the 170-pound division and brought up Hendricks’ name on his own.

“Johny Hendricks looked very impressive tonight,” St. Pierre said.

Read entire article...

While UFC President Dana White would like to make the GSP vs. Anderson Silva superfight, he offered high praise for Hendricks at the UFC 154 post fight press conference.

“He looked damn good,” said White. “It was a replica of the Jon Fitch fight. He even landed it in the same spot.

“It was impressive, so I would say yes, he is [the 170-pound top contender].”

White went on to explain the reasoning behind the superfight.

"There are a lot of guys in line right for title shots at 170 and 185," said White. "But, we're trying to make this super fight happen so we'll see how it goes."

"I agree (the middleweight and welterweight divisions are stacked right now). It's the number one pound-for-pound best fighter in the world against the number two pound-for-pound best fighter in the world. It's a big fight, we think people want to see it and we think the guys want to do it. So, we'll do it. Who knows, maybe we go into this thing and Georges St. Pierre says absolutely not.

"But I just don't see that happening."

11/18/12 10:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HalfThisGameIs90PercentMental
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks could Serra GSP. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:17 AM
UGCTT_SMASHED BY A BIG RIG!
869 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks deserves to get his shot already. Give it to him! Phone Post
11/18/12 10:19 AM
pennviachoke
1230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gsp is gonna ruin the superfight imo...he is rich already & he seems very reluctant to take the fight. Ill watch the superfight but id rather see jbj/Silva. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:22 AM
HalfThisGameIs90PercentMental
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pennviachoke - Gsp is gonna ruin the superfight imo...he is rich already & he seems very reluctant to take the fight. Ill watch the superfight but id rather see jbj/Silva. Phone Post
Same here Phone Post
11/18/12 10:24 AM
pennviachoke
1230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn phone cut my post short...

I want to see gsp/Hendricks but lets do Hendricks/diaz with the loser fighting condit then the winner fighting gsp. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:26 AM
SupesUp
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will be a great fight when it happens. Would be awesome to see gsp/hendricks in 4-6 months then diaz comw back and get a win so he can face the winner of that. Then a year down the road when that is all sorted out you will have guys like rory and e silva getting close to a shot.
Exciting times for the 170 lbs division Phone Post
11/18/12 10:27 AM
jimbonice
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think he's got anything for GSP. He'd get run over Phone Post
11/18/12 10:32 AM
pennviachoke

SupesUp - Will be a great fight when it happens. Would be awesome to see gsp/hendricks in 4-6 months then diaz comw back and get a win so he can face the winner of that. Then a year down the road when that is all sorted out you will have guys like rory and e silva getting close to a shot.
Exciting times for the 170 lbs division Phone Post
Oh yeah...gonna be some wars in the division next year. Can't wait to see how Erik Silva looks in his next fight, kid can scrap & is champion material. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:41 AM
The Cecil Peoples Elbow
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the Silva fight doesn't happen I say give it to him. He's deserved it. If Rory Mac beats Penn. I say welcome Nick Diaz back with him. Plus after Carlos lost last night give him and Kampmann a rematch. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:42 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayamaOwnedMySN 3x
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beautiful, the fight with Silva makes no sense Phone Post
11/18/12 10:43 AM
Saltyballs
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hard to deny the man. He's putting together a damn solid resume. Phone Post
11/18/12 10:45 AM
DWTF

can you say stacked divisions for the win?
11/18/12 11:03 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think GSP's people want this fight.

11/18/12 11:14 AM
SupesUp
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jumbo Reverse Shrimp -

Yeah gsp is notorious for avoiding contenders. Phone Post
11/18/12 11:20 AM
MachidasBrew 209TT

Fuck Anderson being a pussy I don't want the Jon jones fight at all but he's being a pussy by calling out GSP he can go suck his own wad.

11/18/12 11:23 AM
Piyo

A big puncher is always dangerous, but I don't see Hendrix doing much to GSP. His punch is dangerous, but it's predictable. GSP and his team will train to move out of the way of the left every time Hendrix does his little bounce/crouch in preparation.

Eventually GSP will take him down, and I'm guessing Hendrix isn't going to be anything like Condit or Fitch off his back. He'll probably get subbed.
11/18/12 11:32 AM
DoubleBACO

Exactly, fuck Anderson. calling out a smaller fighter.
Hendricks deserves the shot, KO Fitch, Dec Koshcheck, KO Kampmann = Title shot.
11/18/12 12:03 PM
WALLSTREET_WRESTLER

SupesUp - 
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp -

Yeah gsp is notorious for avoiding contenders. Phone Post

man your dumb
11/18/12 12:18 PM
WALLSTREET_WRESTLER

Edited: 11/18/12 12:19 PM
11/18/12 12:22 PM
WALLSTREET_WRESTLER

LOVE both guys

but gsp will win

have yet to see big rig off his back...and his mma takedown defense...and his cardio under pressure

gsp will employ the same strategy when he fought serra the second time...BUT the takedown will come quicker

but if he cant take hendricks down, we may have a new champ
11/18/12 12:45 PM
6ULDV8
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks is one scary fucking dude man.  Kampman fully expected that and it happened anyway.  That's bonkers.

11/18/12 12:49 PM
The Overseer
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks can do it. Solid wrestling on top of world class KO power.
Then again anyone can do it, he just has a very good chance with his skill set. I'm super excited for this fight. Phone Post
11/18/12 1:32 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks vs GSP battle of the nice guys...
11/18/12 1:37 PM
pennviachoke

The Overseer - Hendricks can do it. Solid wrestling on top of world class KO power.
Then again anyone can do it, he just has a very good chance with his skill set. I'm super excited for this fight. Phone Post
Chuck v2.0 imo Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.