UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Wii U came out today

11/19/12 3:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PatK
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

Target.com and Walmart.com still show it in stock at all the stores near me. This is the first console I can think of in the last two gens that wasn't sold out instantly with people camping out.

Anyone here get one? 

PS3

11/19/12 3:52 PM
PrettyCoolGuy
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If anyone here owns ZombiU, please create a thread reviewing it!
11/19/12 3:56 PM
nrallen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

promotion in the uk has been very low-key so far. i have not heard it mentioned. i don't know anyone who has a wii that is even aware of the wii u. for those people it doesn't look anywhere near as accessible as before. the tablet just adds confusion. that's the general consensus.

for me, as a long time gamer, the digital/online offering is important and once again nintendo has failed. that your id is tied to just the one console and that profiles/downloads cannot be transferred is terrible this day in age.

11/19/12 4:25 PM
6mildollarman
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Release day is today? I didn't know that. Gonna see if I can find one after work here in Houston, and I'm pretty sure I can. I was able to get a PS2, PS3, and 360 on their launch dates, no long lines or camp outs. The wii was the only console I purchased long after the launch date because of the shortage of inventory. Phone Post
11/19/12 5:18 PM
orcus

No, release day was yesterday.

11/19/12 5:59 PM
CuddleBug
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got one yesterday. I went to walmart 15 minutes after midnight and they were all gone. Went to Toys R Us and 5 minutes after they opened they were all gone. I got one being first in line at Shopko 45 minutes before they opened. I feel shame admitting all this, but just wanted to relate the story that they seem to be selling well.

I also have Zombie U, but I haven't played it yet so I can't give a review.
11/19/12 6:01 PM
beanouno
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its ok for kids but there arent enough playable adult titles to garner as much success as the ps3 and x-box 360. Phone Post
11/19/12 8:28 PM
Willybone
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I don't get one for Xmas, 'll grab one with the first price drop.

Nintendo's done alright by me. I'll give this one a shot, too.

11/19/12 9:04 PM
Prefers Playing in the Mud
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a great console.

I picked it up on launch morning along with about 25 other people at Target.

I bought the Deluxe Set with the Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros U, ZombiU, and Rabbids Land.

Mario is simply an amazing recreation of some of your fondest moments from Super Mario World. Different worlds but a great walk down memory lane. Don't expect a new revolution in Mario, and you'll be very happy with your purchase.

ZombiU, well let's just say I'm a bit disappointed. The game modes consist of normal and survival. Each mode you play out the role of a lone survivor and see how long you can survive. Normal mode, when you die you come back as another person and start all over again with the knowledge of the last playthrough. In Survival, when you die it's Game Over. Pretty lame game to be honest. Gameplay is sloppy, and I feel I'd be better off had I bought Batman to be honest.

Nintendo Land is a party game with 12 mini games themed after familiar game worlds. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, are among the 12 game words. The game takes place in a theme park and each game world is a "ride/attraction". You have a central tower which let's you play a lame game plinko styled in order to win prizes to fill the park with. My kid loves it already, I think it's cool to see what the console future may look like, and it came with it.

Rabbid Land is being traded in tomorrow for Batman. Phone Post
11/19/12 9:48 PM
RML
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/19/12 9:49 PM
orcus - 

Technically I live in Laytonsville. But in any case the Targets and Walmarts I'm talking about are in Rockville, Germantown, Bethesda, Silver Spring, etc.

RML, what's your zip? I'll be happy to check your local Walmarts and Targets to let you know if you can go pick up a Wii U.

I live in Vancouver and have absolutely no desire to own a Wii U -- unless it was free.  It's not worth the 350 I'd pay to play Zelda and Mario.

Best Buy and Futureshop are sold out in my city and the surrouding areas.  I haven't checked Wal-Mart's website because I refuse to accept that ghetto place exists.

11/19/12 9:52 PM
kungfugrip

orcus - 
kungfugrip - Got mine and set it up, took more time then expected due to updates. Haven't actually played a game on it let. Seems very underwhelming so far. This is coming from a big Nintendo fan, of course my life is a big fuckup right now, so that my have something to do with it

How can it seem underwhelming if you haven't played a game on it?

good point, just saying I'm not rushing to play like I should
11/19/12 11:07 PM
Road Warrior Fin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm like MASTER P - I GOT THE FUCKING HOOKUP!

Heh

Backstory: Every single place in all of Middle TN was sold out the night of.  Work told me to go to bumfuck Alabama to work - I had to go pick something up in Walmart and what did I see?  I did a 100 mi Walmart run.  Profit TIME!

11/19/12 11:43 PM
Granpa
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prefers Playing in the Mud -  It's a great console.

I picked it up on launch morning along with about 25 other people at Target.

I bought the Deluxe Set with the Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros U, ZombiU, and Rabbids Land.

Mario is simply an amazing recreation of some of your fondest moments from Super Mario World. Different worlds but a great walk down memory lane. Don't expect a new revolution in Mario, and you'll be very happy with your purchase.

ZombiU, well let's just say I'm a bit disappointed. The game modes consist of normal and survival. Each mode you play out the role of a lone survivor and see how long you can survive. Normal mode, when you die you come back as another person and start all over again with the knowledge of the last playthrough. In Survival, when you die it's Game Over. Pretty lame game to be honest. Gameplay is sloppy, and I feel I'd be better off had I bought Batman to be honest.

Nintendo Land is a party game with 12 mini games themed after familiar game worlds. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, are among the 12 game words. The game takes place in a theme park and each game world is a "ride/attraction". You have a central tower which let's you play a lame game plinko styled in order to win prizes to fill the park with. My kid loves it already, I think it's cool to see what the console future may look like, and it came with it.

Rabbid Land is being traded in tomorrow for Batman. Phone Post

You say it's a great console, but then the rest of your description sounds dreadful. ZombieU sounds like another Japanese failure trying to copy western games. Nintendo land sounds like a game for 10 year olds, then there's 2D Mario (yawn), and you're trading in Rabbit Land for a Batman game that's been out on every other console for years now?

I'm sorry but that sounds like a huge waste of money.
11/20/12 12:16 AM
Jacinto
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Road Warrior Fin - 

Heh

Backstory: Every single place in all of Middle TN was sold out the night of.  Work told me to go to bumfuck Alabama to work - I had to go pick something up in Walmart and what did I see?  I did a 100 mi Walmart run.  Profit TIME!

lol

The Basic models are selling for jackshit so good luck.
11/20/12 12:57 AM
Road Warrior Fin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacinto - 
Road Warrior Fin - 

Heh

lol

The Basic models are selling for jackshit so good luck.

Not like I can't just return it.

11/20/12 2:01 AM
Bry Bry

they had a few at the Best Buy i went to..i live in illinois btw..im not interested in Wii U because i bought into the WIi hype and it ended up collecting dust..
11/20/12 2:49 AM
Jons Forsberg

in stock at Target, out of Stock at Walmart
11/20/12 4:04 AM
RML
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -
disbeliever - 2 out of 3 stores by me are sold out. I agree it's not like ps2 was, or even ps3, but who cares?

Nintendo, probably, and obviously RML and Sly, who cared enough to accuse me of lying and look up my zipcode.

I didn't call you a liar. I said where you live is a poor barometer from a statistical point of view. This console will sell out almost everywhere on its first run. After that who knows and who cares. Phone Post
11/20/12 10:58 AM
jamesv

Zombii u game is tuening out to be really great
Really intense and the permadeath adds a layer of tension to the overall fell of it Phone Post
11/20/12 11:29 AM
RowdyBec
619 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nintendo hasn't been the same since the N64 :( Phone Post
11/20/12 10:26 PM
mjbreese
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got back from Walmart, they had about 10 of the basic model and none of the pro model. As of right now I have no reason to get one though I think the system has a lot of potential. Phone Post
11/20/12 10:43 PM
Prefers Playing in the Mud
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RowdyBec - Nintendo hasn't been the same since the N64 :( Phone Post
Kinda the point, right? Phone Post
11/20/12 11:05 PM
puddlesmith
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Feels like Third Party developers have abandoned Nintendo, can't really blame them, must be annoying developing games for their systems.
11/21/12 12:22 PM
orcus

Yeah, they put in gimped hardware and expect devs to be excited about getting their games running on it.

The launch games that are ports are inferior to the 360 version -- that's 2005 hardware, a console that is 7 years older and $150 cheaper than the Wii U. Mass Effecft, BLOPS, Darksiders, Assassin's Creed -- all worse on Wii U, despite the devs' promises during the lead-up that the Wii U version would look and run the best of all console versions. The developers of Metro: Last Light said they're not even going to bother trying to put their 360/PS3 game on Wii U because its CPU is "horrible and slow".

If it struggles to keep up with ports of 7 year old systems, what's going to happen next year when Xbox 3 comes out? I don't know why they bother with ports at all. They should stick to exclusive Nintendo games and novelty stuff from third parties.

11/21/12 1:27 PM
nrallen

the developers of metro have said they won't port their new game because the cpu is too slow.

the overall offering in terms of software and hardware capability are disappointing.

however, it's early days. problems with firmware, user interface and online features might well get fixed over the course of next 12 months. also, the developers will become better accustomed to the hardware.

so for myself (and i imagine many others) it's a case of wait and see.

for now i'm keeping the ps3 and looking forward for far cry 3.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.