UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Fila Grappling Worlds 2012, Review, Results & Pics

11/19/12 8:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
huni
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Golds for Jeff Monson, Penny Thomas etc...

http://www.bjjee.com/competitions-tournaments/fila-worlds-2012-full-review-results-pictures/
11/20/12 2:34 PM
On the Mat
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice thanks!
11/21/12 7:34 AM
Marcos Avellan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/21/12 7:33 AM

This is really an excellent tournament.  My student Jason Soares won last year's world title at 143 pounds in Serbia.  The event is a true world championship in the sense that each country can only bring one (or maybe it was two) competitors per weight class - which means you don't have USA and Brazil flooding the entire tournament.  When we partcipated, there were over 30 countries that had teams in the event.

The event is super professional... I've been involved in many tournaments, and this one was my favorite in the sense that you didn't feel like there was going to be much monkey business... the officials demanded a passport to verify your identity for the weigh-in and they did a legit inspection for contagious skin diseases, etc.  There was also a random drug test for a few of the first place finishers.

Another thing that was cool is that you could challenge the call... and they would go to instant replay.  If you were wrong, it cost you five points.  We used the instant replay to our advantage a couple of times - pretty cool.

The only reason we didn't participate this year was because there is absolutely zero sponsorship for the athletes, the costs were through the roof.  I'm talking thousands of dollars.  On top of that, they still drill you with "FILA membership fees" and things of that nature... you would think if they couldn't sponsor any travel expenses - at least they could get the FILA membership card covered?  I found that part a bit strange. 

I think it is the team USA division of FILA grappling that is totally messed up.  I heard other grapplers from other countries tell us they were getting awarded money by their governments if they placed.  Meanwhile, we can't even get our FILA cards paid for :)

But besides the financial part - it is a really awesome tournament and worth the experience.

11/22/12 6:19 PM
brixx139

Ttt. Wonder why this comp doesnt get more attention Phone Post
11/22/12 10:29 PM
Marcos Avellan

It gets a LOT of attention - just not in our hemisphere.  When I was in Serbia, they had freakin' billboards for the event.  It's just that the USA group is either disorganized and/or not getting any love with regards to government or private funding.

The average grappler isn't going to cough up $3,000 to $4,000 to go compete.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.