UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can we agree Diaz can't beat GSP?

11/19/12 12:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lun8
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will agree that gsp can not beat Nick Diaz.   5 rounds of trying to hold him down, eventually hes going to catch him in a submission.  Within a second of taking Condit down he took his back. Nicks ground game is on another level than Condits, aswell as his striking. imo

11/19/12 12:38 PM
knuckleballs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the fuck is this about GSP getting subbed? Jesus Christ, Diaz ain't marcelo garcia; diaz's bottom game is not nearly as good as GSP's top game.

Diaz will get elbowed to fuck on his back. Guranteed.

I love Diaz, but this fight wouldn't be competitive as Diaz doesn't have the once punch power to pull off the upset.

Hendrix has a MUCH better chance.
11/19/12 12:48 PM
Lite
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can agree to that. Now way Diaz beats him.

And I'm a huge Diaz fan. I'd like to see a rematch with Condit; although, it would probably go the same way. Diaz isn't a guy who makes adjustments or tries out new strategies, which is his second biggest weakness as a fighter. His strategy is "be Nick Diaz."
11/19/12 1:12 PM
JetSetter

Can't believe people put Diaz in George's league. Phone Post
11/19/12 1:21 PM
iamarealamerican

gsp generally is in and out on his feet, nick wouldn't get to land a hard shot using his punches, condit on the other hand caught gsp on the exit to the outside with a kick

diaz doesnt throw those type of kicks at all so rocking gsp is unlikely

either gsp is all the way in (clinch) or all the way out

if diaz rushes, he'll get taken down, and both of their groundgames will stall each other out

if their in the clinch, then diaz can try and throw a barrage of punches to the body and head which would mark gsp up

on the otherhand, gsp can very easily cut nick with an elbow as well

diaz would probably get a close submission at some point, and might even sweep or reverse gsp for a short while, but ultimately 50-45 gsp ud, its a foregone conclusion based upon each others fight styles
11/19/12 1:28 PM
sacredhate
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TOAO - condit didnt box at all during the fight, diaz wont be throwing spinning and jumping crap during the fight, he will box him and come forward.

GSP will back diaz up whenever he wants then take him down and gnp him.

Diaz couldn't control Condit in the least, no way in hell he dictates anything about where and how the fight goes down against GSP.
11/19/12 1:36 PM
6ULDV8
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nick diaz nut hugger - 
sitchpack -  Fuck anyone who doesnt want to see this fight. Phone Post

What he said

What they said

11/19/12 1:43 PM
ufc98newb
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nick diaz nut hugger - 
sitchpack -  Fuck anyone who doesnt want to see this fight. Phone Post

What he said

I can agree to that if anybody as long as you can agree to "fuck anyone who doesnt want to see gsp vs. silva"

GSP would have a better chance to beat Silva than Diaz would to beat GSP, btw.

11/19/12 1:45 PM
cheesesteak
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As much as I love Nick Diaz...It'd be like fighting a ghost that takes Nick Down at will and Nick will not sub him..IMO, it would actually be a pretty boring fight.

The thing with Nick is that the match makers have to pair him up with certain fighters so he can showcase his skills...GSP is not one of them...

One thing about Nick that aggravating me is although he loves all martial arts and is open minded to anything that works, he seems to constantly be in search for the alternative to wrestling. I think Nick needs to embrace wrestling or even developing outstanding takedown defense...No Judo stuff, which he loves...WRESTLING NICK!!!! WRESTLING!!!!
11/19/12 1:45 PM
cheesesteak
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As much as I love Nick Diaz...It'd be like fighting a ghost that takes Nick Down at will and Nick will not sub him..IMO, it would actually be a pretty boring fight.

The thing with Nick is that the match makers have to pair him up with certain fighters so he can showcase his skills...GSP is not one of them...

One thing about Nick that aggravating me is although he loves all martial arts and is open minded to anything that works, he seems to constantly be in search for the alternative to wrestling. I think Nick needs to embrace wrestling or even developing outstanding takedown defense...No Judo stuff, which he loves...WRESTLING NICK!!!! WRESTLING!!!!
11/19/12 1:51 PM
Makavillin

GSP would dominate Nick but I would love to see how pissed off Nick would get from not being able to get up off his back.
11/19/12 1:55 PM
sacredhate
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Makavillin - GSP would dominate Nick but I would love to see how pissed off Nick would get from not being able to get up off his back.

i think that sums up one of the camps here.

1. some folks (those who are wrong) think diaz wins via anything other than a fluke.

2. other folks who want to see the fight so GSP can break Diaz down at will and force Diaz to admit he's got no business calling out the champ. (and quiet down legions of fans)
11/19/12 1:57 PM
UGCTT_Gsp_will_submit_diaz
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
11/19/12 2:23 PM
SickEyeDiaz
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carlos was intimidated by GSP IMO, which Nick wouldn't be. That confidence can play a huge factor. Phone Post
11/19/12 2:26 PM
Lun8
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SickEyeDiaz -  Carlos was intimidated by GSP IMO, which Nick wouldn't be. That confidence can play a huge factor. Phone Post

gsp will be pretty intimidated being hit repeadetly and getting called a bitch at the same time.  He will tense up and fade

11/19/12 2:28 PM
BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

suess - 

of course Diaz could beat him.  however, he probably won't ever fight him and more than likely he would get smashed if he did.  

This. In fact, after the Condit fight, I could see George's out striking him.

11/19/12 2:39 PM
Joe_Drogan420

ChaelPFan -  GSP showed its near impossible to strictly outbox him which is exactly what Diaz would have to do. The only glint of success Condit had was with that misdirection kick he threw, something Diaz would never add to his repertoire. Also Gsp showed his continued ground dominance over Condit while nick was barely able to keep ahold of Condit, I think Gsp would hold nick down and essentially stall out a decision. I was very excited for this fight prior to seeing the Condit fight this past weekend. Am I wrong? Could Diaz finish Gsp? Or somehow UD him? Phone Post

Nick was barely able to keep ahold of Condit?
When Nick did decide to take things to the ground, albeit it took him a couple tries, he IMMEDIATELY took Condit's back and locked in the body triangle.
When did GSP manage to take Condit's back?
Second he began working for subs immediately RNC and the armbar. Had he had more time to work with, I believe he would've been able to keep the back and possibly work in the RNC.
Either way, Diaz's submission/ground game is much better than Condit's.

Second, people are saying the only way to catch GSP is Condit's unseen left high kick.
Yeah, that's the only shot that could possibly hurt George.
He's never been caught by a punch before..

And Nick's boxing is on another dimension compared to Condit's. I'm not saying Condit isn't a good striker, he's excellent. However, we saw what happened in the Diaz fight. Diaz ate Condit's best shots and kept moving forward while Condit ran to avoid exchanges.
GSP was happy to work his jab, straight/overhand right on Condit. And I don't think GSP would change his stand-up with Nick other than throwing a few more kicks.
He's not a kick, slap, take a lap type of fighter. He strikes to setup his takedown.
So when GSP engages, Diaz is going to have a chance to counter.
And from the BJ Penn fight, we know Nick isn't worried about eating a jab to land a few shots.
This is where Nick has proven he can land punches from every angle, including angles opponents often don't see coming.

Yes, GSP will be able to take the fight to the ground. However, Diaz will be actively working subs and will be attacking more than Condit was from the bottom.
I was impressed by Condit's relentless strikes from the bottom, but I wonder where he got that idea from?
Nick Diaz is the one we all know who throws strikes, hammerfists, short punches, elbows, from the bottom to frustrate his opponent. And condit's strikes looked to take a heavy toll on GSP's face.

Diaz has everything required to make this an exciting, intriguing fight.

I could see Nick hurting GSP in the stand up and I could see him subbing him with an armbar when GSP is working the can opener.
However, I don't see GSP hurting Nick standing up and I don't see him finishing him.
So it's either Nick stops George via strikes, or he has 25 minutes to find the submission.

11/19/12 2:52 PM
Nucky

If GSP tries that Can opener shit he's gonna get submitted by Diaz.

11/19/12 2:53 PM
Brock Lobster
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -

"For one Diaz is better on the ground and MUCH better off his back."

He got handled by Diego and Karo. Condit reversed him and ended the fight on top. 

No one has shown the slightest sign of being able to do jack shit to GSP from the bottom. He's too good, too fast, and too strong.

Too thick, too solid, too tight. IMO. Phone Post
11/19/12 2:56 PM
iamarealamerican

cheesesteak - As much as I love Nick Diaz...It'd be like fighting a ghost that takes Nick Down at will and Nick will not sub him..IMO, it would actually be a pretty boring fight.

Ghost St Pierre?
11/19/12 2:57 PM
Joe_Drogan420

No, I implied that it is a strategy, that has and would've been, used by Diaz vs. GSP and Condit implemented it into his Gameplan.

Sure he's probably used them, like many fighters, in the past, but not in such a continuous Diaz style.
11/19/12 3:04 PM
Joe_Drogan420

Another interesting factor is that Diaz, Hendricks as well, is a southpaw.
I don't think George has ever faced a southpaw with superior, or close for that matter, striking.
So it would be intriguing if the southpaw match up would present any problems for George.
11/19/12 3:08 PM
Nonlinear

GSP would retire Diaz except Condit already did.

11/19/12 3:39 PM
Nonlinear

If GSP fought Diaz, GSP would take him down pass his guard drop bows and slice up the cut prone face of Nick Diaz.

11/19/12 3:46 PM
UGCTT_Gaspare

LilBrockonmychest -
UGCTT_Gaspare -  Diaz and Condit are 100% different fighters.

For one Diaz is better on the ground and MUCH better off his back.

Next, Condit hungout against the fence a lot and seemed nervous about the takedown. This is where I think Condit and Diaz' fight style differs, I truely think Diaz will stay all over GSP and not fear the take down in the least

Im not saying Diaz will beat GSP but I think he has a good chance, and more important tools than Condit (in a GSP fight that is) I also think it will be GSP's most exciting fight to date. Phone Post

Why do people say Diaz is so dangerous off his back?  He's submitted 3 people in the last 6 years, all were hurt or exhausted opponents, and 1 was off his back.  That was Gomi who was so tired he couldn't stand.  Nick has only triangled 1 guy and that was his first fight ever, he's never guillotined anyone, never RNC'd anyone, and most of his subs come from the top position (kimura or armbar).  Not saying he isn't dangerous off his back but what give you all that impression when it comes to MMA?

Now Nate's another story.  That guy is dangerous off his back.

Go Rewatch some recent Diaz fights, but REALLY pay attention of him on the ground. He's SLICK Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.