UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> I Enjoy Watching Their Eyes Roll Back - Hendricks

11/19/12 9:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rabid Bunyip
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On fighting training partners/friends:

Everyone is always like, "Man, I don't want to fight a training partner. I don't want to do this, I don't want to do that." To me, I've always been excited to do something like that because who else could beat you than someone who knows you, seen you train, seen you prepare for a fight? That's the best person that can beat you in my mind and when I prepared for this fight, I got really excited for it.

Dreaming of Kampmann killing combo:

Sometimes I'll dream about or think about something that I want to do and ultimately I'll be able to go out there and accomplish it. I don't know if it'll be a good combination or a good move in general but what I'll do is I'll go ou tthere and I'll try it. Everyone does the hook cross, but it was difficult for me to lead with the hook and as soon as I had it, I had a dream about it and I thought, "You know what? Let's see if it would work." Then all of a sudden I figured out how to create the angle to make it work and the next thing I know it was working constantly. I was able to hit it 10 times in a row without being disturbed because whenever you get hit by a right-hander, you're not really thinking about firing that right cross back because if a hook lands, that could be a devastating punch as well. I used it as a set-up and now I can get to the point where I can use that to finish people.

Knocking folks out:

It's awesome. It's pretty sweet. God's blessed me with a lot of things and power in my left hand is it. For some reason also, it's weird, whenever it hits, I like seeing the aftermath. I like seeing their faces and their eyes roll back. For some reason that brings me a lot of joy. I don't know why, but it does.

First realisation of destructive left hand power:

Yeah, it was when I fought Amir Sadollah. That's when I started realizing it. I got to a point where I started looking for it. I was always looking for it after that fight and it really hindered me. Then as soon as I said, "Alright, I'll quit looking for it and if it happens, it happens," that's when my striking really evolved because now I'm not sitting here thinking about it, I'm just playing off these emotions.

Requesting the shot:

Oh yeah. I knew as long as I won that fight that I would be asking for that title shot. That's what I planned on. That's what I was dreaming of every day, trying to get a title shot. After that fight when it happened, I was like, "Man I can't wait!" Right after it happened I was like, "Now I need to start preparing for a title shot.

Anderson vs GSP?

Here's the thing. I did what I needed to do to prepare myself for a shot. If they go that way, then that sucks, but I'm not gonna fight until I get a title shot. I told my manager that the other night and last night, too. I want to fight GSP and I think I've earned the shot. I've fought all the tough guys in the division and the only thing left is to fight GSP. The thing is, I have the tools, I just haven't shown all my tools because I haven't had to, but I think I have all the tools to win that fight.

Part 1 of 2 interview with mmamania.com

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/11/19/3663906/knock-em-dead-ufc-154-winner-johny-hendricks-interview-exclusive-with
11/19/12 10:00 AM
ChaelPFan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just don't like how confident he is in his left for some reason, not that he hasn't earned it or proved it, and I usually like guys that talk like that but with Hendricks it's different for some reason to me. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:04 AM
MMALOGIC

becareful of not becoming a one trick pony... if you're only threat is the left hand then all it takes is a guy like Greg Jackson to come along and exploit it.  Johnny better start threatening with his wrestling, ground and pound.  It will make his striking even more effective and give him more ways to win a fight.

The old school of chuck lidell thought is antiquated.  sprawl and brawl is obsolete unless you are a master striker like Anderson, JDS, Aldo which Hendricks is not.

11/19/12 10:11 AM
Billyz
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no one can deny his power punching but my guess is GSP out points him by avoiding the power shots easily.

GSP looked a bit rusty to me but I think in his next fight he will be back to form and can beat hendricks handidly
11/19/12 10:17 AM
Rabid Bunyip
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billyz - no one can deny his power punching but my guess is GSP out points him by avoiding the power shots easily.

GSP looked a bit rusty to me but I think in his next fight he will be back to form and can beat hendricks handidly

And the post above this one...

Apparently in part 2 he talks about what is going to happen to GSP when his left connects.

I guess he doesnt need to think about anything else.
11/19/12 10:20 AM
Kostakio
493 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks seems pleasant. lol

11/19/12 10:23 AM
UGCTT_Gaspare

"It's awesome. It's pretty sweet. God's blessed me with a lot of things and power in my left hand is it. For some reason also, it's weird, whenever it hits, I like seeing the aftermath. I like seeing their faces and their eyes roll back. For some reason that brings me a lot of joy. I don't know why, but it does."

This guy sounds like a nutjob!

War Hendricks! Phone Post
11/19/12 10:27 AM
Neil Funk

I like Jonny as a fighter, but that's the kind of shit that morons say. Should keep that kind of immature bullshit to himself.
11/19/12 10:32 AM
UGCTT_Gaspare

Neil Funk - I like Jonny as a fighter, but that's the kind of shit that morons say. Should keep that kind of immature bullshit to himself.
I like what he said about fighting teammates... Phone Post
11/19/12 10:32 AM
Rabid Bunyip

Funny thing is, did anyone actually see the replay from behind Kampmann?

When JH's fist connects he got this look like a kid in a candy shop even before he knew Hitman was dropped.

Then when kampmann fell his face lit up like a Christmas tree.

Gif would be good Phone Post
11/19/12 10:33 AM
jude099
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought he was a real nice, happy guy at first and rooted for him. I've since read that he was an absolute douchebag on the D1 circuit, throwing tantrums when he'd lose, etc. Now this interview.

11/19/12 10:39 AM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

becareful of not becoming a one trick pony... if you're only threat is the left hand then all it takes is a guy like Greg Jackson to come along and exploit it.  Johnny better start threatening with his wrestling, ground and pound.  It will make his striking even more effective and give him more ways to win a fight.

The old school of chuck lidell thought is antiquated.  sprawl and brawl is obsolete unless you are a master striker like Anderson, JDS, Aldo which Hendricks is not.

He threatened his wrestling with a quick level change. That's what made it work. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:48 AM
MinnowInaMankiniGotAced

UGCTT_Gaspare - 
Neil Funk - I like Jonny as a fighter, but that's the kind of shit that morons say. Should keep that kind of immature bullshit to himself.
I like what he said about fighting teammates... Phone Post

Yep. I like his attitude.
11/19/12 11:15 AM
Skeletor
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrCutter - 
MMALOGIC -

He threatened his wrestling with a quick level change. That's what made it work. Phone Post

Exactly like how Randleman knocked out Crocop: opponent thinks Hendricks is going to shoot, moves back with hands lowered and as Mike Goldberg would say, "Boom!"
11/19/12 11:43 AM
6ULDV8

Do you wanna be a fucking fighter!?

Yes, yes he does, very much so in fact.

11/19/12 11:53 AM
CLINTK9
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1) Hendricks has got a good UFC record going.

Kampmann
Koscheck
Fitch
Peirce
Walburger
Story (Loss)
Breneman
Grant
Funch
Sadollah

But I think he needs one more win over either Condit, Ellenberger, or Diaz to get his title shot.

2)Same with Weidman. good UFC record going.

Munoz
Maia
Lawlor
Bongfeldt
Sakara

but needs some wins over: Boetsch, Belfort, Bisping, or Sonnen before that title shot.

3)and Same with Gustafsson. good UFC record going.

Silva
Vladimir
Hamill
Te Huna
Diabate
Davis (Loss)
Hamman

But in order to get that tile shot he should have to beat a couple of these guys at least:

Shogun
Hendo
Machida
Davis
Sonnen
Belfort
Evans

Guys think they should be getting title shots way tooo soon. Sonnen Brings in Fans and PPV buys. Belfort was a last minute replacement. Hendricks is the closest of the 3 to be getin the shot, but with Condit, Diaz, Ellenberger out there, he should have to fight one of them 1st.

11/19/12 12:18 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skeletor -
BrCutter - 
MMALOGIC -

Exactly like how Randleman knocked out Crocop: opponent thinks Hendricks is going to shoot, moves back with hands lowered and as Mike Goldberg would say, "Boom!"
Yes, another great example. Phone Post
11/19/12 12:43 PM
shb
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jude099 - 

I thought he was a real nice, happy guy at first and rooted for him. I've since read that he was an absolute douchebag on the D1 circuit, throwing tantrums when he'd lose, etc. Now this interview.

fwiw, he is a nice, happy guy. he's also fiercely competitive, prob one of the most competitive guys in mma, which is saying a lot. losing is completely unacceptable to him, which is a big part of why he's so likely to win any given fight - he doesn't see losing as an option. champion mentality + insane ko power + 2 time ncaa div 1 national champ = great challenge for gsp
11/19/12 12:53 PM
JiuJitsuBeans
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't like Hendricks for some reason. But Knocking out Fitch, beating koscheck, and Knocking out Kampmann, definately earns you a title shot...there is no disputing that.

I'm a big fan of Diaz, but diaz is coming off a loss. Hendricks deserves the fight more at this moment.
11/19/12 1:11 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember falling in love with my own left hand once.

I was 14 and it was fast becoming my go to for finishing.

I thought I was unstoppable.

I'd come home from a bad afternoon of school and know that my left hand could save the day.

Hendricks is in that zone now with his left hand.

He knows the feeling of owning a finisher in under a minute sort of weapon.

Which came in handy with one bathroom or in fighting guys I'd guess. Phone Post
11/19/12 1:15 PM
iamarealamerican
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what happens when this guy plays mortal kombat with raiden then?
11/19/12 2:30 PM
OzMafioso
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JeffersonDArcyChoke - I remember falling in love with my own left hand once.

I'd come home from a bad afternoon of school and know that my left hand could save the day.

LMFAO Phone Post
11/19/12 2:36 PM
CLINTK9
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JeffersonDArcyChoke -  I remember falling in love with my own left hand once.

HaHa awesome!
11/19/12 2:44 PM
CLINTK9

He also KO'd Fitch & Kampmann.

I still think he needs to fight either Diaz, Condit or Ellenberger 1st before a title shot. but thats just my opinion. I know some think he's done nough already. KO's of Kampmann and Ecsp Fitch is impressive though.
11/19/12 3:36 PM
BrCutter

OzMafioso - 
JeffersonDArcyChoke - I remember falling in love with my own left hand once.

LMFAO Phone Post

GOAT post (fer today at least)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.