UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP credits Serra loss for surviving head kick

11/19/12 10:27 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

St. Pierre admits the knockdown gave him flashbacks of his fight against Serra, and he used what he learned in that loss to survive the near-finish, as he explained at the UFC 154 post-fight press conference:

"Yes it was a similar experience [to the Serra fight]. When I got hit hard, sometimes before I was very proud guy, I try to give it back right away but the experience I gained from a lot of all my fight allowed me to recompose, defend myself and when I got back I come back stronger. It's that experience that allowed me to survive, you know, and come back from that kick that I got hit with."

Lesser men would have been finished by a Condit head kick, and for St. Pierre, it was only the second time in his 19-fight UFC career that he was knocked down from a strike.

read entire article...

11/19/12 10:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HULKSMASH
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RECOGNIZE Phone Post
11/19/12 10:54 AM
PrecisePrecision

That kick was fucking beautiful.
11/19/12 10:59 AM
JediJitsu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick Fury - I love GSP's honesty.

The most humble in the business alongside Fedor, which is why I love them both. Pure humility and class as always. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:06 AM
KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JediJitsu -

The most humble in the business alongside Fedor, which is why I love them both. Pure humility and class as always. Phone Post
He really is a classy guy. How many fighters talk about how nervous or scared they are before a fight.

He honesty in a business that's filled with bullshit is refreshing. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:27 AM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrecisePrecision, I couldn't agree more. Beautiful kick, Carlos puts combos together VERY nicely. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:31 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP's great bjj off his back and scrambling saved him too. Condit is pretty much the last guy in that division you want to get rocked by and then have on top of you.

I think there are very few fighters in that division who would have survived that or wouldn't have gotten smashed for the rest of the round. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:49 AM
SignsOfChaos
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist -
JediJitsu -

He really is a classy guy. How many fighters talk about how nervous or scared they are before a fight.

Agreed.

His post fight presser was filled with some great statements that again show what a humble and respectful champion GSP is.

He talked about how he doesn't feel he's great at anything.....that he's not a good striker like Silva, that he's not a good wrestler like Sonnen, etc. He said he basically just uses the tools he has to the best he knows how and that his body will allow him to execute.

His breakdown and praise of Condit's ground game was also cool to hear as well.

I also liked how GSP gave the media an earful for all the Silva questions during the week.....how he felt they were disrespectful to him and mostly to Carlos by basically looking past him and not treating him as the dangerous fighter that he truly was.

And even though he got busted up George said he had fun being in the ring. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:52 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nick diaz nut hugger -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  GSP's great bjj off his back and scrambling saved him too. Condit is pretty much the last guy in that division you want to get rocked by and then have on top of you.

I think there are very few fighters in that division who would have survived that or wouldn't have gotten smashed for the rest of the round. Phone Post

You're trolling Diaz fans hard with that last sentence and you know it :)

I wasn't trying to lol. Diaz is one of the guys in the division who would have survived that though, yes. Phone Post
11/19/12 1:09 PM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
nick diaz nut hugger -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  GSP's great bjj off his back and scrambling saved him too. Condit is pretty much the last guy in that division you want to get rocked by and then have on top of you.

I wasn't trying to lol. Diaz is one of the guys in the division who would have survived that though, yes. Phone Post

To be  fair, Diaz did take a Combo Condit Headkick, and he seemed to be okay.

GSP really did a great job though once he was down, able to get to guard, recompose, then spring back up and pick up where he left off, great stuff.

11/19/12 1:16 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

nick diaz nut hugger - 

He was speaking generally about being knocked down, not specifically about the Serra fight. He does not credit Serra anywhere in that article. What a fucking joke of a news story by mmamania.com

"Yes it was a similar experience [to the Serra fight].
11/19/12 1:16 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

UGCTT_ScarecrowRio - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
nick diaz nut hugger -

GSP really did a great job though once he was down, able to get to guard, recompose, then spring back up and pick up where he left off, great stuff.

foot vs shin
11/19/12 1:17 PM
1 pt Fuhrer 1 pt Pope
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist - 
JediJitsu -

Same here. That ufc champs roundtable eith him on fuel was great.
11/19/12 1:25 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

UGCTT_ScarecrowRio -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
nick diaz nut hugger -

Yes the difference was Diaz saw the headkick that hit him coming, I think. GSP didn't. Phone Post
11/19/12 1:36 PM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
nick diaz nut hugger -

Yes the difference was Diaz saw the headkick that hit him coming, I think. GSP didn't. Phone Post

True, also it was a foot to Diaz as mentioned above, my bad, defintley different haha. 

GSP did say he wasnt able to see the kick coming, before the 3rd he was telling his corner about his vision a little, and then after the fight he said he didnt see the kick coming, which Im not surprised, as a duck into a head kick is usually not a transition most people are accustomed to

11/19/12 1:45 PM
supersonic
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GDP is and always has been one of the most forthcoming fighters when it comes to talking about his mental game. I was glad to see him battle through that rough patch
11/19/12 2:41 PM
crumbs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit never hit Diaz with a clean shin bone kick to the temple like he did GSP, can't compare the two. Although Diaz like GSP would of been dropped by that shin kick, and like GSP , Diaz would of recovered.

GSP trying to keep standing up after serra rocked him was like watch a newborn deer walk for the first time, that why Diaz is such a smart fighter, when he gets dropped he stays on the ground, doesn't try and immediately get back up, vs gomi, Daley, he was rocked but never out of those fights.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.