UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Miesha: GSP is ignorant about WMMA

11/19/12 10:36 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At the UFC 154 open workouts the now undisputed UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre offered some narrow remarks about women's MMA.

"For the woman fight, I say it's good for her, and I mean for the girls that fight," said St-Pierre. "But me personally I have a hard time watching the girls fight."

"In my heart I have, you know, it's the way I grew up maybe, the mentality is different, I'm old school.  have a hard time watching girls fighting; it's hard for me. I never really watched a woman fight, but I know they are pretty good."

Former Strikeforce Women's Bantamweight Champion took issue with the remarks.

I think the problem with GSP's view about WMMA is that he doesn't have one. If he hasn't ever watched us women fight then he can't say how he really feels about it because he's ignorant.

Being old fashioned is fine, but us "modern day" girls aren't asking for your protection, we are asking for your acceptance and we are fighting for equality.

If everyone felt about MMA as GSP thinks he feels about WMMA, then he wouldn't have a job.

I'm hoping George St-Pierre can open his mind a little bit and actually watch some women's fights. We're coming to the UFC for a reason and it would be nice to have one of my all-time favorite fighter's full support.

It won't take long for him to realize we aren't these fragile little creatures when we enter the cage, we are warriors and every bit as deserving of respect as the men.

Read entire blog...

GSP is an avid student of history, but his favorite era is, perhaps unsurprisingly, Jurrasic. However gently he expressed his opinion, if he turned his attention to the last say two or three thousand years, he would find an unbroken string of misconceptions about women in sports, that are eventually left in the dustbin of history.

776 B.C. Women are excluded from the first Olympics are held in ancient Greece, so they compete every four years in their own Games of Hera.

396 B.C. Spartan princess Kyniska wins Olympic chariot race, is barred from collecting her prize in person.

1552 Mary, Queen of Scots, an avid golfer, coins the term “caddy” by calling her assistants cadets.

1722 Briton Elizabeth Wilkinson enters the boxing ring.

1805 Englishwoman Alicia Meynell defeats Buckle, a leading male jockey.

1837 Donald Walker's book, Exercise for Ladies, warns women against horseback riding, because it deforms the lower part of the body.

1876 Nell Saunders defeated Rose Harland in the first United States women's boxing match, receiving a silver butter dish as a prize.

1885 Study concludes that "female college graduates do not seem to show, any marked difference in general health for the average health of women engaged in other kinds of work, or in fact, of women generally." This refutes the widely held belief that college study impaired a woman’s physical health and ability to bear children.

1893 Katharine Lee Bates climbs to the top of Pike's Peak and is inspired to compose a poem, "America, the Beautiul."

1896 Susan B. Anthony says that "the bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world."

1896 At the first modern Olympics in Athens, a woman, Melpomene, barred from the official race, runs the same course as the men, finishing in 4 hours 30 minutes. Baron Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympics, says, "It is indecent that the spectators should be exposed to the risk of seeing the body of a women being smashed before their very eyes. No matter how toughened a sportswoman may be, her organism is not cut out to sustain certain shocks."

1914 The American Olympic Committee formally opposes women's athletic competition in the Olympics. The only exception is the floor exercise, where women are required to wear long skirts.

1931 Baseball Commissioner Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis bans women from professional baseball, after 17-year-old pitcher Virne Beatrice "Jackie" Mitchell strikes out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in an exhibition game for the Chattanooga Lookouts. Landis voids Mitchell's contract, saying baseball is "too strenuous" for women. The bans lasts until 1992.

1932 Two black American women, Louise Stokes and Tidye Pickett qualify for the Olympic Games in Los Angeles, but are not allowed to compete.

1933 Pope Pius XI condemns women who attend boxing matches. He states that it isn't possible to preserve the "dignity and grace peculiar to women" when they "admire spectacles of brutal violence."

1960 Larissa Latynina wins three golds, two silvers and a bronze medal for gymnastics at the Rome Olympic medal count while three months pregnant.

And now, in 2012, the first woman was signed by the UFC. Despite some storied differences, she agrees with Tate.

Ronda Rousey @RondaRousey

Wow. Me and @MieshaTate actually kind of agree about something... http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/432744/Miesha-GSP-is-ignorant-about-WMMA/ …

Read entire Twitter...

11/19/12 10:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
le
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP's name in your mouth for attention. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:41 AM
KingOfFighters

Uncalled for imo, u arent doing yourself any favors by attackibg mna's most loved personality. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:41 AM
SugaFoot
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP has the right to think however he wants about WMMA.

11/19/12 10:42 AM
DamnSevern
1185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gps..

sigh

11/19/12 10:45 AM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last week somebody stole the GPS out of my truck. This weekend I drove in circles for 10 minutes before being able to find my way out of a residential area in the dark.
11/19/12 10:46 AM
xXJayRobXx
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep GSP outta your mouth. Unless he chooses to put himself in there. Haha jkjk everyone is entitled to their opinion and if he doesn't like to watch it then he has every right to say that. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:47 AM
sacredhate
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He didn't criticize women's MMA or abilities, just said he has a hard time watching it.

sucks to be in women's mma because GSP is more open than most of society. maybe she should work on bringing him around to her side...then he can help bring his fans over.

her approach shows she will do nothing to help women's mma gain mainstream acceptance.
11/19/12 10:49 AM
JediJitsu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He sounds as if he meant it in a respectful way. For some, It's hard to watch women beat up on each other, they view them as fragile. Miesha jumped the gun. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:49 AM
mike_rizzo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tate your the ignorant one. gsp said hes knows the women in mma are talented he just prefers not to watch them. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:50 AM
maq102192

Girls like her are the reason women will never be looked at as equal Phone Post
11/19/12 10:51 AM
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
11/19/12 10:51 AM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DamnSevern -

gps..

sigh

Haha. I usually do the opposite mistake. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:52 AM
Phil999
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She doesn't seem to understand what he is saying.
He is not comfortable with it but says it's a good thing for the girls fighting.

11/19/12 10:55 AM
SugaFoot
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye -  Phone Post

My god he's right.

11/19/12 10:56 AM
NorthFromHere
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
I agreed with GSP.
boomtown
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like you Miesha, but calm down girl.
ThinkMMA
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fail. I agree with GSP. It's hard to watch those girls hurt each other. It's just not how I was brought up, but they have every right to do so and I'll support it. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:58 AM
youarewhatiswrong
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go smoke some pot, burn some bras, get a nose ring, make out with another chick in a crowded bar because you're so fun and liberated. Nobody cares that it hurts your feelings that perhaps the greatest fighter in MMA doesn't want to watch you fight. I can't blame him, if you were really made for fighting just like the men then you would be in a cage competing with men. You aren't because you can't. You're not the same. Deal with it.
11/19/12 11:01 AM
TheIronCodpiece
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She needs to chill lol. All this whining isn't doing anything positive for WMMA. She should just keep her nose to the grindstone, and get after it. Otherwise, she's never gunna beat Ronda, and do for WMMA what Ronda, Gina, Cyborg, and all the other women before her have
11/19/12 11:02 AM
brixx139

KingOfFighters - Uncalled for imo, u arent doing yourself any favors by attackibg mna's most loved personality. Phone Post
I saw no attacking whatsoever. Calling someone ignorant on a subject is not necessarily an insult, common misconception. She seems right, if he hasnt even seen a wmma fight then he really has no educated views of it. Phone Post
BushidoAristotle
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GPS needs to update its maps, imo.
ABE FROMAN
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't agree with GSP at all because I didn't grow up that way, however, he's just saying how he feels NOW, he's not saying it won't change.

Women are at a pivitol moment in history, this is the first time we've really had massive exposure to pros like this so it's to be expected that you are going to be changing minds.

What do you expect when people haven't been exposed to it yet?

GSP will probably be her biggest fan when he gets to see that fights, he just seems like that guy.

11/19/12 11:03 AM
Stolm
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel the same way as "GPS".

Don't care for it.
11/19/12 11:05 AM
youarewhatiswrong

Also, fighting out of a team called "Team Alpha Male" might not be the best choice for such a liberated woman.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.