UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sakara's manager denies shots were to back of head

11/19/12 12:51 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In the first round of the final UFC 154 prelim bout Saturday night, Alessio Sakara dropped Patrick Cote with elbows. Cote hung on to a single leg, as Sakara based and countered with hammerfists, several of which landed to the prohibited back of the head area.

Cote slumped semi conscious to the mat, referee Dan Miragliotta stopped it at 1:26, and appeared to signal that Sakara was the winner. The Canadian crowd booed angrily.

However, after a short commercial break, Cote was declared the winner, by disqualification.

“(The stoppage was) way late," said UFC President Dana White. "I haven’t heard anything about (Cote) that he’s not okay but that was a horrible job. I counted between seven and nine illegal punches to the back of the head. It was crazy. (referee Dan Miragliotta) was just standing there watching it. Didn’t jump in, didn’t do anything. And I’m pretty sure, I think it should have been a no contest, not awarded to Cote, but a no contest. But, horrible, really bad.”

Meanwhile, Sakara's manager Lex McMahon is denying that the shots were to the back of the head, and plans an appeal.

“We’re going to be appealing the decision," said McHamon. "I’ve already spoken to the commissioner. There was no verbal warning given. At no point did [the ref] try to intervene. When you stop it, you stop the fight. The blows that were allegedly behind the back of the head… when Alessio was making his blows he wasn’t going 12 to 6, he was coming around to get to the side of the head. If you watch the tape I think it would clearly show that.

"To create a judgement in Montreal for Patrick Cote … when I spoke to the Commissioner they said listen, we viewed it and that’s the way we see it. Not very objective at all.”

Read entire article...

11/19/12 1:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gooner H Smith
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll grant that it wasn't as bad as everyone is saying, but there is no way you can argue that at least 3 of those werent straight to the back of his head. Phone Post
11/19/12 1:08 PM
roperninja
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well they definitely were to the back of the head... Lol. Phone Post
11/19/12 1:08 PM
JetSetter

Lex is on crack Phone Post
11/19/12 1:09 PM
Leck Brosnar

Didn't know Ray Charles managed Sakara
11/19/12 1:10 PM
Brian J DSouza

ThePundit -  ****Insert Iraqi information minister guy pic here Phone Post

Exactly what I was going to do in this thread.

Cote will never be the same. Brain damage is brain damage, and the brain stem is the most vulnerable area.

Nothing can compensate Cote for what happened there, not even a DQ win.
11/19/12 1:16 PM
whatupyo
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those were illegal.

11/19/12 1:16 PM
warfrog

I believe that giant man from att was Conan Silviera. Phone Post
11/19/12 1:18 PM
TheHaunted2

More importantly the last 2 strikes that finished cote were to the back of the head. Phone Post
11/19/12 1:18 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

wtf is wrong with this guy ?  If he has ever seen how things play out, he would advise Sakara to say 'sorry. Not on purpose. Now we can have a re-match' and everyone would say no problemo.  The denial route is silly.

11/19/12 1:19 PM
3rdLion
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11/19/12 1:20 PM
1800champagne

Why is it necessary to give a verbal warning? Both fighters know the rules before they set foot in the cage. Phone Post
11/19/12 1:21 PM
Obie1FaShobie
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
11/19/12 1:22 PM
6ULDV8
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the reason the ref is in the cage is to keep stuff like this from happening.  Sure they both know the rules, but in the heat of battle shit gets a little crazy.

11/19/12 1:23 PM
justininhifi

Definitely to the back of the head. I was relieved to hear the announcement as a DQ. Also, it's pretty hard to intervene when you're throwing 6 punches in 2-3 seconds that look like you are deliberately trying to punch in the back of the head.
I could understand if Cote was moving his head a little bit it pretty much stayed in the same place. Phone Post
11/19/12 1:26 PM
crowbar
776 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"People on ludes should not manage"

Jeff Spicoli.

11/19/12 1:30 PM
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I couldn't believe DFW and the Fuel crew calling for a NC.

I thought if a clearly intentional illegal blow ended a fight, it was aleays a DQ. Wheres the confusion?

11/19/12 1:35 PM
Motivated Penn
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey, comical Ali, I remember that guy.
11/19/12 3:00 PM
Van City 604

LOL @ Bert Watson yelling in the background during Ariel's interview, "All night long, We ROLLIN, YEAH!!" lol
11/19/12 3:11 PM
buckshot44
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThePundit -  ****Insert Iraqi information minister guy pic here Phone Post

lol.. this.

Get that guy some glasses.
11/19/12 3:46 PM
Darup

Clearly to the back of the head. It was correct to award Cote the DQ win. Phone Post
11/19/12 3:51 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

TheRaider - I couldn't believe DFW and the Fuel crew calling for a NC.

I thought if a clearly intentional illegal blow ended a fight, it was aleays a DQ. Wheres the confusion?

You thought right, but those shots cannot be proven to be "clearly intentional". The fighter said they were not, the majority of them landed on or right behind the ear (LEGAL), and no one can claim they were intentional.

Intentioinal fouls are rare and are usually things like kicks/knees when an opponent is clearly down.

11/19/12 3:53 PM
TARRat
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeRogan420 - "I’ve already spoken to the commissioner. There was no verbal warning given. At no point did John try and intervene" Why do people keep saying this? Dan gave a warning at 3:36 of the fight. It was clearly audible too. "watch the back of the head"

Also, who the fuck is John? This manager is a retard.

I was going to make that exact point. I definitely heard Dan warn him about the back of the head.

That being said, I thought the rule was to give Cote time to recover - due to the illegal strikes - and if he couldn't, then it was DQ if the strikes were intentional, NC if unintentional.
11/19/12 4:00 PM
RicoVelasquez
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going for Sakara and was literally jumping up with joy when he landed those elbows. He could've finished him but even I saw those shots to the back of the head. I was even wondering why Dan wasn't saying shit. It's Dans fault IMO. Sakara was just caught in the moment and that's what they put refs in there for. Phone Post
11/19/12 4:13 PM
Ludelow

his manager is blind, but a good thing he backs his boy up!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.