Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bhealthy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

randomly screaming out shit that never actually happened
in the cage doesnt help
11/19/12 5:47 PM
Diazed And Confused
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe gives us the technical and colour commentary.

Mike does the advertisement and informative sides of commentary.

Need both of them. Phone Post
11/19/12 5:51 PM
Nexuscrawlers
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jimmy smith + sean wheelock > Rogan + Goldie.

11/19/12 7:21 PM
chaplinshouse
777 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diazed And Confused -  Joe gives us the technical and colour commentary.

Mike does the advertisement and informative sides of commentary.

Need both of them. Phone Post

i wish it worked like that.  it's supposed to work like that.  both cross over into each other's duties constantly.  don't mind when joe does it because he does both well.  goldie is no technical analyst nor can he just speak spontaneously.  it's all canned phrases and factoids he put aside

11/19/12 7:24 PM
ChaosOverkill
637 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TopGrinder -  U r spot on!!! Phone Post

this

11/19/12 7:26 PM
NastyNate420
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He blocked me on twitter, what a douche... I did deserve it though.
11/19/12 7:28 PM
ChaosOverkill
637 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nucky - 

Rather them fire Goldie and put in Pat militich and Rogan then you get the best in the business together.

You don't seem get the concept of a lead commentator... A duo needs one guy to do all the lead ins transistions and corporate stuff and it takes training and a type of mind to do it.

Goldberg

Mauro

Shiavello

Anik

Etc...

Neither Miletich nor Rogan have the training or ability to do the corporate stuff. You'd still need a guy to do that. Goldberg just makes it sound SO ROBOTIC that it's actually a detriment to the duo now.

Anik + Miletich + ROgan would be my pick

11/19/12 7:32 PM
A bailie

I feel Goldy does his job well. Also throws in the non-sensical Goldy-isms that out of nowhere crack me up. It's not broke, and I hope they don't try to fix it. Phone Post
11/19/12 7:32 PM
6ULDV8
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he's great and bitch all you want, you'll be sorry when he's gone.

He and Joe are the voices of the Octagon and are a great team.  It will be a very, very sad day when either one of them leave.

I remember him asking us to write politicians to keep the UFC alive way back when.  He's got my respect.

11/19/12 7:35 PM
xXJayRobXx
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to not appreciate Goldie. But over the years I've come to like the chemistry between him n joe. Phone Post
11/19/12 7:38 PM
JBASS
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_EnderTL - 

I feel the need to complain about Goldie from time to time, but I don't hate the guy at all.. I guess I have been listening to him for so long it's kind of a like a friend that you always feel a little embarassed for. But for all his little quirks, I think the worse thing about Goldie is the fact that he has not improved over the years. Watching old events it always amazes me because I think Goldberg does a much better job than he does currently.. I just don't understand how anyone can get worse at what they do over time.

Interesting - I have noticed that as well. He seemed much less robotic and seemed to know more then compared to now.

The one thing that annoys me about Goldy is how he has the same phrases that he uses over and over again. But then again, I guess it must be a part of what they want him to do as commentator. Now that I think about it - you've gotta be pretty professional to always remember to yell 'IT IS ALLL OVER!!!' when a fight gets finished - something I wouldn't be able to if I were in his position and cageside at a UFC event.

One thing I noticed in both the Fitch and Kampmann fights, when they got KO'd in virtually identical fashion Goldy said 'JUST. LIKE. THAT!!' both times.

He must feel like an automated voice service sometimes...
11/19/12 7:46 PM
Andersons_Chin
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsobigmike - Goldberg's main job is a lot tougher than it looks.

He's really there to transition elements of the show (fights, packages, interviews, etc.) and plug sponsors and future events.

Staying on top of all that stuff, along with essentially being the visible engine that keeps the show moving forward, is NOT an easy job.

His fight commentary is weak at best, but I give him a pass because that's not really what he's there for.

They need a third man in the booth to take the pressure off during the actual fights, and keep Goldy's stuff at the margins.

Agreed. He basically talks for 5 hours, so hes going to mess up and aggravate people in the process.

It would be great to bring Handy back as a third man. Florian would be great in that role as well.

Everything else is virtually identical.
11/19/12 8:17 PM
chaplinshouse
777 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 - 

I think he's great and bitch all you want, you'll be sorry when he's gone.

He and Joe are the voices of the Octagon and are a great team.  It will be a very, very sad day when either one of them leave.

I remember him asking us to write politicians to keep the UFC alive way back when.  He's got my respect.

first, i wish goldie nothing but a good life, he seems like he could be a nice guy, but as far as "when he's gone" from his robot duties i will celebrate 1000% positive on this. i want a guy passionate, knowledgeable, knows how to spontaneously talk like a real person, doesn't feel like a canned wav machine, and in some form lives mma outside of his day job to show his passion/help his knowledge.  he greatly lowers my enjoyment every time.  i'd like to say he's doing the best he can and cut him some slack, but he's not and that's part of my problem. he's a smart guy yet he's not improving, in fact, he's losing ground.  that means he not only stopped really trying, but stopped caring.  when you stop taking the time to learn what you're paid to talk about, then you're just phoning it in robot style and every broadcast is virtually identical.  He could disappear, and joe could fill his spot with a laptop clicking wav files and not miss a beat.  Fans deserve better for their $60 imo

really? imagine a guy who's paycheck size revolves around an industry, actually writing a politician in support of that industry.  why is that above and beyond? not saying he doesn't like or appreciate mma but above and beyond points can't be given there.  Politician approval made him a rich happy motherfucker with endless options

11/19/12 8:40 PM
MinnowInaMankiniGotAced

Politicians, what the hell are you rambling about?
11/19/12 8:44 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 semi funny moment saturday after carlos tried a spin kick.

goldie says "spin." (just 1 word). and joe responds "telegraphed.(just 1 word)"

this was 1 second befor he knocked gsp over
11/19/12 8:51 PM
Caleb R
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sativa G - Vent frat thread on why I can't stand Goldie

It sucks to have an announcer you like, and one you don't, team together because you can't just hit mute. So you're forced to take the good with the bad. Nothing pisses me off more than the following.

1: Goldie will be talking his usual meaningless drivel no one cares about 90% of the time. Joe will have to cut in, to say something fight relevant, regarding something technical/educational and time sensitive that is currently going on so that fans understand. Goldie will NEVER yield to this!! He will just start TALKING LOUDER until every last word he planned to say is said, to keep Joe from saying what he's gotta say. It's so childish. It's like he's worked sooo hard to get a thought of something that nothing will stand in his way of getting it out. Not even an expert trying to explain what the fans are seeing

2: He doesn't understand the difference between color commentator and play and play. He keeps trying to go to color and act like he knows the technical side of mma

3: He treats fights like he's a radio broadcaster, which means he feels dead air = death. He has no concept of the value for just shutting up at times and letting fans enjoy the moment like they were there. He feels it's better to say SOMEthing no matter how meaningless, than nothing at all. WRONG! This isn't radio dummy! STFU for 10 seconds!!

4: The stuff that this guy still doesn't know after all the fights he's covered is amazing. That won't stop him from trying to act like he knows. That won't make him train BJJ since that knowledge is job relevant, or at least watch YT videos showing basic techniques. It wouldn't matter if he stuck to his role as play by play, but he refuses to stop stepping on Joe's toes and keeps going to the color commentary side

He's the annoying guy at the ufc party that will never shut up, loves the sound of his own voice too much, wants to sound like they know way more than they do, will talk over you if you try to chime in, etc etc. Only Gus Johnson is worse for me.

A) yes i'm mad bro
B) yes most "did not read lol" / frat
C) is for cookie
Only one worse for me is mauro Phone Post
11/19/12 9:23 PM
Wasa-B
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A) yes i'm mad bro
C) is for cookie

- Gold(E)
11/19/12 9:26 PM
Exiive
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Head like a fucking orange Phone Post
11/19/12 9:33 PM
French Fries Malone
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's weird when I know what stupid little facts he is gonna recite for each fighter from years of watching him

Bocek is up and we hear about how mike van arseheel once said that maybe bocek had some of the best takedowns in mma
I'm guessing mike says this once and now we hear about it every bocek fight. New material, how does it work? Phone Post
11/19/12 9:35 PM
HexRei

Sativa G - Vent frat thread on why I can't stand Goldie

It sucks to have an announcer you like, and one you don't, team together because you can't just hit mute. So you're forced to take the good with the bad. Nothing pisses me off more than the following.

1: Goldie will be talking his usual meaningless drivel no one cares about 90% of the time. Joe will have to cut in, to say something fight relevant, regarding something technical/educational and time sensitive that is currently going on so that fans understand. Goldie will NEVER yield to this!! He will just start TALKING LOUDER until every last word he planned to say is said, to keep Joe from saying what he's gotta say. It's so childish. It's like he's worked sooo hard to get a thought of something that nothing will stand in his way of getting it out. Not even an expert trying to explain what the fans are seeing

2: He doesn't understand the difference between color commentator and play and play. He keeps trying to go to color and act like he knows the technical side of mma

3: He treats fights like he's a radio broadcaster, which means he feels dead air = death. He has no concept of the value for just shutting up at times and letting fans enjoy the moment like they were there. He feels it's better to say SOMEthing no matter how meaningless, than nothing at all. WRONG! This isn't radio dummy! STFU for 10 seconds!!

4: The stuff that this guy still doesn't know after all the fights he's covered is amazing. That won't stop him from trying to act like he knows. That won't make him train BJJ since that knowledge is job relevant, or at least watch YT videos showing basic techniques. It wouldn't matter if he stuck to his role as play by play, but he refuses to stop stepping on Joe's toes and keeps going to the color commentary side

He's the annoying guy at the ufc party that will never shut up, loves the sound of his own voice too much, wants to sound like they know way more than they do, will talk over you if you try to chime in, etc etc. Only Gus Johnson is worse for me.

A) yes i'm mad bro
C) is for cookie

I agree on most points, but the last one, I'm pretty sure he has in fact trained BJJ and MT.
11/19/12 9:59 PM
Iskalainen
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally, I think Goldie's voice suits the role well, and he's part of the UFC experience for me with all his goldieisms and chemistry with Rogan. Anik and Florian do a great job together as well, with Florian breaking down fights from a fighters point of view. Rogan, on the other hand, has that excitement and breaks down fights more from a (highly knowledgeable) fan perspective.

IIRC, Goldberg actually asked Rogan about what was going on on the ground a couple of times last show (at least once during GSP v Condit), acknowledging that Rogan is the man when it comes to that.

I wish, however, that they would bring in an additional guy for Rogan to interact with on the technical aspects of fighting. If he could discuss live with i.e. Florian the technical aspects, I believe that would nullify many fans' annoyance over Goldie. Rogan and Florian shedding light on striking and grappling subtleties, and Goldie telling us stats and which motorcycles are worthy of the octagon.
11/19/12 10:12 PM
Darth Ryase
1380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Florian as a commentator. The dude absolutely knows his shit.

Goldberg isn't terrible but with all of his experience he still kind of sucks. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:17 PM
Kings21
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sacredhate - you are too uptight.

imagine rogan trying to keep all the sponsor info straight...and Goldie actually does a good job on fighter stats.

replacing goldie doesnt involve making rogan do goldies job. I dont mind the sponsor stuff but they do it at the worst times. like right when someone gets rocked. Also Anki has proved (he still sucks imo but.....)that you do that job and improve and expand your knowledge as you go. Goldie has been doin this for I dont know how many years but fuck he doesnt know shit. All he APPEARS to know are fighter stats.

If I have to hear "thats how you know it was a good kick, the thud, not the slap" one more goddamn time, I'm gonna Elvis my tv. Dude is a broken fucking record of novice fight terminology.
11/19/12 10:38 PM
UGCTT_Shope
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess I'm the only one that loves Goldie. Wouldn't be the same without him. Phone Post
11/19/12 10:42 PM
Kings21
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Shope -  I guess I'm the only one that loves Goldie. Wouldn't be the same without him. Phone Post

Yea it wouldnt be the same. It'd be less irritating and I wouldnt have as many urges to mute the tv.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.