UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Awkward to travel to train as a white belt?

11/22/12 1:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aaronlapoi
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/22/12 1:56 PM
I think it's most awkward as a purple or brown belt because you most likely have an established team/teacher, you are still probably trying to figure out BJJ politics, you are in the competitive (not tournament) stage of your career, you are probably more conscious about being tapped or proving your school is legit, and you are not as adept at rolling lightly with an aggressive partner. Once you reach that point in your BJJ career, can take years after black belt, where you no longer feel the need to prove yourself, will willingly tap to lower ranks if necessary, and train just to have fun, visiting other schools is fun and easy. It's all about being respectful and remembering that you're a guest/visitor.
11/22/12 6:12 PM
Graugart
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Traveled to train since I was a white belt and it has NEVER been a problem. Did five months around the world as brown belt last year, visited 56 gym on the way and never had a single problem: www.bjjglobetrotter.com

Go for it!! Phone Post
11/23/12 10:21 AM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Braxmax - As a side note, when you see a visitor you should be cautious. They usually try to prove themselves and go pretty hard right out of the gate. Ive experienced a few highlight reel knees to the mouth because visitor guy wants to prove he's legit. I tend to duck the visitors until I see how they roll because I like my teeth inside my mouth. Phone Post
I see the opposite.

I travel a lot and as a purple I'm right at that belt color where every level of opponent thinks they have a shot.

Not only do they come out guns blazing with knee bumps and cross faces but they get super pissed off if they tap. No bjj situation is more annoying than than dealing with the gym rat who feels he needs to defend his schools honor.

Just my experience since I travel a lot. It's my experience that it's better to go to a gym where you know someone do you get a hood pass. Phone Post
11/23/12 9:36 PM
CursedHand
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We get visitors (white belt to brown belt) fairly often and it's always good fun. Instructor often tells us that people are coming so make sure you come to class and say hello.

I always go a lot lighter with visitors than I would with my class mates, as I don't want to be that guy and also you never know if they're crazy or something.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.