UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ref explains his actions in Sakara/Cote bout

11/19/12 10:57 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Miragliotta said a rule forbidding blows to the back of the head was superseded in Cote's case because most of the hammerfists touched his ear. The referee said he advises all fighters of this distinction in rules meetings prior to fights.

"Even though most of your hand is hitting the back of the head, if your pinkie knuckle is hitting him in the ear, it's a legal shot," said Miragliotta. "Maybe that's what people don't understand. They said, 'Oh, it's the back of the head.' It is the back of the head, but it's hitting him in the ear.

"You get a guy like Shane Carwin or Brock Lesnar, their hands are so big, when they hit you in the ear, they're still hitting the mohawk. That whole hand is about five or six inches wide. The earlobe is two inches. So four inches of your hand is hitting that mohawk, and that's considered a legal strike."

Miragliotta, though, said he warned Sakara after a hammerfist grazed the back of the downed Cote's head. The next two or three shots were legal. A second, more clearly illegal blow drew a more stern verbal warning.

"The second one didn't look bad enough to stop the fight," Miragliotta said. "In my mind, I'm thinking if he hits the back of the head again, I'm going to stop it and take a point away, or I'll make it a verbal warning with his translator and let him know I'm going to take a point away.

"Then the next ones were clean. They were clean strikes, and the one that hit him hard was no longer a 'watch the back of the head.' It was time to either take points away or stop the fight."

read entire article...

11/19/12 11:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stonepony
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/19/12 11:10 PM
Well... Dan has always been a good ref. He had his face down there with a better view than any of us. He clearly knows and was aware of the rules. It's possible that he made the right call.
11/19/12 11:21 PM
Fedors Jim Jams

so pinky on ear negates damage to brain
11/19/12 11:27 PM
Strugglezworth
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - Well... Dan has always been a good ref. He had his face down there with a better view than any of us. He clearly knows and was aware of the rules. It's possible that he made the right call.
Wtf are you talkin about Dan is a good ref Phone Post
11/19/12 11:28 PM
40oztofreedom
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one can be perfect all the time, whether it was a good call or a bad call. Doesn't make a ref any less of a ref. It happens to the best of them, and it'll happen again. It's a tough job Phone Post
11/19/12 11:33 PM
Doem

im just sayinn: Dan is a vocal and physical guy when it comes to reffing. hes loud, he repeats himself, he pulls fighters away. in this case he was like a statue staring down, then he gave the DQ. It became a dq because of his inaction.
11/19/12 11:33 PM
Kings21
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm gotta admit I was wrong on this one. I bashed Dan a little in another thread yesterday but clearly I was wrong. I had no idea that if most of your hand slams into the back of someones head but your glove grazes an ear lobe then it can be considered legal.

Sorry Big Dan.
11/19/12 11:34 PM
HELWIG

Its the worst rule ever that is completely subjective and unenforcable. Either ban hammerfists when the head is down or just stop the nonsense.

Those were the most blatant kill-shots since Hackney/Yarborough

11/19/12 11:44 PM
NastyNate420
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One or two of those illegal blows are going to totally dismantle a fighter, is it better to take a point away and let the fight restart or end the fight? I don't know. It's no doubt Dan did a bad job with this fight, but after those shots it was better to stop it and overturn it than break it up and let it restart.
11/19/12 11:49 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Fedors Jim Jams - so pinky on ear negates damage to brain

Don't blame Dan, blame the commission. Even if its a stupid rule, Dan enforced it properly.
11/20/12 12:36 AM
Fedors Jim Jams

HOLLYWOOD-MO - 
Fedors Jim Jams - so pinky on ear negates damage to brain

Don't blame Dan, blame the commission. Even if its a stupid rule, Dan enforced it properly.

i wasn't blaming him, im just trying to understand the rule. yes it does seem to be a stupid rule... one of the many that plague the sport.
11/20/12 6:46 AM
MMA6053
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/20/12 6:48 AM
Being Italian I was hoping, at the very least, Sakara would show some heart and put in a respectable fight so in that respect I'm happy but as much as I wanted to see him beat Cote I honestly can't see past the fact he lost his head and excluding perhaps one or two the rest of the blows were stupidly rained to the back of Cotes head.<br /><br />Wish I could say otherwise.
11/20/12 6:53 AM
jojoblue
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

40oztofreedom - No one can be perfect all the time, whether it was a good call or a bad call. Doesn't make a ref any less of a ref. It happens to the best of them, and it'll happen again. It's a tough job Phone Post
Yes Phone Post
11/20/12 7:09 AM
Olive Garden Table For One
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jojoblue - 
40oztofreedom - No one can be perfect all the time, whether it was a good call or a bad call. Doesn't make a ref any less of a ref. It happens to the best of them, and it'll happen again. It's a tough job Phone Post
Yes Phone Post

What about people who bet Sakara at +225? Alessio was the damn underdog, and big. Big Dan took food from their children's mouths with that reversal.

Sakara knows he won. We know he won. Dan knows he won.

Why not talk about the French Canadian pressure on him? 

There was 1 and a half dodgy shots. The rest were pinpoint accurate to the ear. And if Cote don't wanna get punched in the back of the head, don't stick it there.

Dai Cazzo

11/20/12 7:20 AM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone who has fought martial arts knows when they are hitting the back of the head or the side of the ear.... this cant be put down to adrenaline/heat of the fight, its not his first rodeo.

11/20/12 7:21 AM
ghost842
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I have my left pinkie on his left ear can I use my right hand to punch him in the back of the head?
11/20/12 9:57 AM
KZTT_FawkingxD
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least it wasn't hella punches after he was koed like vitor vs akiyama Phone Post
11/20/12 10:03 AM
1800champagne

Legalize shots to the back of the head. Phone Post
11/20/12 10:11 AM
Anthraxxx
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1800champagne -  Legalize shots to the back of the head. Phone Post

Yea, and lets legalize shots to the groin, eye pokes and headbutts too......

Back of the head is a cheap shot, this isn't a 12 to 6 elbow rule here, this is banning a plain dirty shot.
11/20/12 10:37 AM
1800champagne

Anthraxxx -

Back of the head is a cheap shot, this isn't a 12 to 6 elbow rule here, this is banning a plain dirty shot.
Groin shots and headbutts should also be legal. Eye pokes and fish hooking should be illegal. Phone Post
11/20/12 10:48 AM
Anthraxxx
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1800champagne - 
Anthraxxx -

Groin shots and headbutts should also be legal. Eye pokes and fish hooking should be illegal. Phone Post

I will respectfully disagree. While there are some rules id like to see changed, I would hate to see things like groin shots and headbutts.

These are men fighting in competition, this isn't a street fight. The sports image is hard enough for some to appreciate as is, the last thing we need is fighters banging their heads together and hitting one another in the groin.

And if headbutts and groin shots were legal, that would mean headbutts to the groin would be legal.....no thank you.
11/20/12 10:55 AM
RowdyBec
486 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should of been a NC but whadda I know :) Phone Post
11/20/12 4:41 PM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

these subjective and loosely defined rules at times hurt MMA, very frustrating. It isn't as simple as defining a groin shot or eye poke at times.

I am still perplexed by the rule at times when we get technical.
11/21/12 4:40 AM
CHILLITACO
701 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NastyNate420 - One or two of those illegal blows are going to totally dismantle a fighter, is it better to take a point away and let the fight restart or end the fight? I don't know. It's no doubt Dan did a bad job with this fight, but after those shots it was better to stop it and overturn it than break it up and let it restart.
Kinda agree with you. I mean he was clearly in trouble before the shots, its a REALLY hard judgement call to make within a few seconds.

Reffin ain easy.... Phone Post
11/21/12 9:40 PM
MasterofMartialArts
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agreed with how many strikes were illegal. 2 maybe 3. The rest hit the ear if you look closely. I would hate to be the referee in that fight. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.