UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White fed up with fighters turning down bouts

11/19/12 11:02 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Obviously, the increased amount of events Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is scheduling leads to more injuries, which requires more replacements, which ultimately leads to situations where fighters decline certain match ups.

However, in recent months, it seems more and more fighters have been unwilling to step up when the UFC needs them most, a point that is not going unnoticed by the UFC president.

"[Turning down fights] is a lot more normal for guys who are worried about losing," White told MMAmania.com in a media scrum following the UFC 154 post-fight press conference in Montreal. "Guys who feel like they're in a position where they lose, you know what I mean? You're either fighters of you're not.

"You come out and you fight and put it all on the line and if you win, you win. If you lose, back to the drawing board. I mean that's the business that they're in. But, you turn down a fight then you turn down a fight."

read entire article...

11/19/12 11:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shaqitup
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some fights are easier than others.

People develop throughout their career, they all have the same goal to reach the top, but at a particular point in time a fighter may not feel quite ready for a step up, or a certain fighter.

Fighters will also probably avoid facing guys that are bad stylistically for them.

Guys turning down fights actually shows that they're more concerned with the business end of things.

A couple of losses in the UFC and you can be out on your ass, and i'm sure a guy would much rather walk away with his win bonus.
11/19/12 11:05 PM
VitorSuckedBonesToes
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bed meet bedmaker

11/19/12 11:07 PM
Ronin_jutsuka
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tatakai Fightwear, President
Think that people would be more likely to take that short-notice fight if it didn't mean getting cut after 2 consecutive losses? Phone Post
11/19/12 11:08 PM
Michael Kn1ght
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shaqitup - Some fights are easier than others.

People develop throughout their career, they all have the same goal to reach the top, but at a particular point in time a fighter may not feel quite ready for a step up, or a certain fighter.

Fighters will also probably avoid facing guys that are bad stylistically for them.

Guys turning down fights actually shows that they're more concerned with the business end of things.

A couple of losses in the UFC and you can be out on your ass, and i'm sure a guy would much rather walk away with his win bonus.
If you are signed too the UFC be prepared too fight anyone that exists in your weight division. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:10 PM
Sakuraba belt
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

STFU DW YOURE NOT A FIGHTER SO QUIT TALKIN LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT THEY THINK.
11/19/12 11:11 PM
MasterofMartialArts
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm one guy who strongly believes in guys fighting who is in front of them. Recently this has been a growing trend with more guys on the roster, more events, and more injuries. The only time I would justify turning down a fight is for an injury. Not that I'm in the fight business or that I'm important, but I have tremendous respect for guys that fight anybody that's offered. Guys that say "whatever my boss asks of me, I will do". It's a really a simple, moral value. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:11 PM
Entreri

It primarily depends on their opponent, notice date, importance of the fight(e.g. belt) and their record. Taking a fight with little notice and getting cut from the UFC...
11/19/12 11:12 PM
LiveFromThe7x7

The, "I'll fight anytime" works well for journeymen fighter. White rewards them by keeping them in the UFC even after several consecutive losses.

If you're a contender, one loss puts you at the back of the line. If a loss occurs to someone you may have beat if you had had a full training camp, that stings.

Now this contender has lost a fight and missed out on the huge payday of a title shot.

His pay structure isn't going up.

What good did "stepping up" do him?
11/19/12 11:14 PM
Ludelow

Not a single fighter wants the Bonnar treatment!
11/19/12 11:16 PM
The Cooler

In his storied boxing career in which he had many fights (the exact number is secret) and beat many bad, bad men (the names of who are secret) Dana White never turned down a single fight.

I know this to be a fact because DFW has been very open and honest about his boxing career in that he refuses to either state his record or a single name of anyone he fought.
11/19/12 11:18 PM
JetSetter

I've posted on this subject many times. The only reason that fighters turndown fights now is because there's actual money at stake. When these guys made shit money they took any fight they could get. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:18 PM
superbradman
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The tautology is strong with this one. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:22 PM
supersonic
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana is naive or straight shoveling bullshit with the "you are either a fighter or you're not" line

From the beginning of time it was never a straight up universal "anyone anytime anywhere" culture

Your decision power is ultimately tied to your name power.

If I was Gsp for example i wouldn't fight Anderson for a dollar under 10mil
11/19/12 11:26 PM
MarcusRenatoBrownBelt

Dana White was a good boxer. He did not have the physical talent to compete and be the best, so he got out of the sport that he loved. It was an admirable decision on Mr. White's part. Now, Dana White uses his fight knowledge and his boxing past and applies it to MMA. It's great that the fighters have another fighter who has been in the ring and knows what it feels like to hit and get hit.

if anyone can criticize a fighter for not taking a shor notice fight, it is Dana White. What is wrong with these fighters nowadays? They need to just hand over their career path to Dana White. Just put it all in his hands. He is the President and Leader of the UFC. He won't do anything to harm you . Stepping up worked great for Ben Saunders and DeMarques Johnson. Yeah, they were cut, but Mr. White will bring them back when the time is right.
11/19/12 11:27 PM
HELWIG

BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - fuck you UG Blog

11/19/12 11:30 PM
The Cooler

Edited: 11/19/12 11:33 PM
My earlier post was a little unfair, so I'll continue.

You spend your life and youth trying to fight your way into the big leagues...you burn up your body...you take beatings for the enjoyment of the crowd...you train for years until you're an elite athlete (presumably)...you bet your entire future on your ability to beat other men with your fists, knowing that at any time a loss could limit your career.

And then when you arrive...after years of struggle, sweat, and blood...DFW says you better act like a drunk Cossack, boy, get in there and bang.

In other words...be professional, until it's time to be unprofessional. DFW will tell you when that time is.
11/19/12 11:38 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"You come out and you fight and put it all on the line and if you win, you win. If you lose, back to the drawing board."

This also means losing your win bonus, getting bumped down on the next card, and going to the back of the contention line. There's a little more to it if you ask me. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:38 PM
kinson

I'm pretty fed up with fighters ducking each other too. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:39 PM
Neph

VitorSuckedBonesToes - 

Bed meet bedmaker

11/19/12 11:56 PM
youarewhatiswrong
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty impressive how dana managed to say so many words without saying anything.
11/19/12 11:59 PM
HenryO

Fighters have to look out for their best interests, when you know there are certain fighters that the promoter is looking out for
11/20/12 12:06 AM
Fabefromfort

Well, no shit Einstein. That's what we been bitching about since Anderson said he was best buds with Machida. I think Anderson opened the door to ducking fighters, after Weidman, and Jones got nixed by him as potential opponents. In the Jones case it was an absolute NO. I think Anderson would have ducked Rua, and , maybe even Rampage. Jones already ducked a much less skilled opponent with no chance of winning, in Sonnen. I heard of other so-called Marquee guys not wanting other fights, but, can't be sure. I think it has to be rectified and has done a lot of PPV damage to the sport. Integrity damage is critical and quickly translates to fans turning off. Look at Boxing. That sport was annihalated by corruption, and ducking.
11/20/12 12:08 AM
Bigp5437

irishman84 - 
LilBrockonmychest - 
Mr Jackson - When i hear this argument i think about a guy like chris lytle that did not win every fight but put it all on the line . and was loved win or loose

zuffa does not get rid of the guys that truly come to fight

Bullshit....Lytle didn't get cut because he never lost more than 2 in a row and only lost 2 in a row once ever in the UFC.  He won alot more than he lost. 

What this reminds me of is when a guy like Ben Saunders does the UFC a favor and takes Fitch, the #2 fighter in the world, on short notice.  Loses a decision and then loses to Hallman and is cut after just 2 losses in a row.  He was 4-3 in the UFC, one loss against Fitch on short notice, and was cut. 

That's why fighters turn down fights.

and Saunders WAS a killer! who was that he fucking thai clinched to death. It was an upset unless im confusing 2 diff fights

Marcus Davis :( I'm a fan of Saunders, but part of me still has some resentment seeing Davis get taken out like that lol
11/20/12 12:22 AM
inf0
332 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Turning down a fight should result in a Loss on your record.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.