UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White fed up with fighters turning down bouts

11/20/12 1:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bentleysuper8
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you take a fight on short notice you should get a guaranteed 2 fights on your contract and a short notice bonus.
11/20/12 1:17 AM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheMentalisT - he is 100% correct. you didn't see guys turning down and pulling out of this many fights before when MMA fighters were making like 500 a fight, right?

popularity has ruined MMA. guys get mad money just in sponsors now.
Money and sponsors are only part of the problem. But maybe if Zuffa adopted a standardized ranking system we'd see a decrease in fighters turning down fights. Phone Post
11/20/12 1:18 AM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bentleysuper8 - If you take a fight on short notice you should get a guaranteed 2 fights on your contract and a short notice bonus.
Yea i agree with this but maybe just one fight. Like tit for tat Phone Post
11/20/12 1:21 AM
toovie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronin_jutsuka - Think that people would be more likely to take that short-notice fight if it didn't mean getting cut after 2 consecutive losses? Phone Post
This! Phone Post
11/20/12 1:25 AM
JediJitsu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something tells me this is directed at GSP in order to influence his decision... 

11/20/12 1:27 AM
ABE FROMAN

Dear Dana,

A simple policy change will solve this ENTIRE problem.

If a fighter 'steps up' on short notice or is at ANY disadvantage then a loss will NOT result in being cut.

That is all.

11/20/12 1:27 AM
JediJitsu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bentleysuper8 - If you take a fight on short notice you should get a guaranteed 2 fights on your contract and a short notice bonus.

VTFU

11/20/12 1:29 AM
Ludelow

Bentleysuper8 - If you take a fight on short notice you should get a guaranteed 2 fights on your contract and a short notice bonus.

or a get out of jail free card when testing positive for PEDS
11/20/12 1:29 AM
JOESONDO
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stop firing people if they lose when they step up on short notice and you will see more people step up. It's that simple.

There no benefit to stepping up on short notice but there are certainly draw backs. Phone Post
11/20/12 1:30 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"[Turning down fights] is a lot more normal for guys who are worried about losing," White told MMAmania.com in a media scrum following the UFC 154 post-fight press conference in Montreal. "Guys who feel like they're in a position where they lose, you know what I mean? You're either fighters of you're not.

"You come out and you fight and put it all on the line and if you win, you win. If you lose, back to the drawing board. I mean that's the business that they're in. But, you turn down a fight then you turn down a fight."

Am I the only one who feels like Dana is pretty much stating what everyone already knows and doesn't say anything here that makes him "fed up" at all?
11/20/12 1:30 AM
The Cooler

Such a huge hill with such a small plateau up top.

So far to climb and one mis-step sees you tumbling down. And if you make it there's Dana waiting at the top to push you off if you don't bleed in a suitable fashion.

I don't know of another mainstream professional sport where your future is so uncertain.
11/20/12 1:37 AM
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So risk getting cut after taking a fight on short notice? No thank you. I could see it making sense if they put a provision in the fighters contract for one fight that if he loses, but shows up and lays it all on the line regardless of the outcome he will not be cut. However if he shows up and just plays safe and loses then whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen.
11/20/12 1:41 AM
ABE FROMAN

If I were a professional fighter and somebody offered me a payday and no chance of losing my job there's no chance I would say no.

Somebody needs to examine why guys who fight for a living are 'scared' to step up (hint: they aren't afraid to fight).

11/20/12 1:43 AM
xXJayRobXx
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand why he's pissed. Injuries happen and cards fall apart with out a good replacement, its bad for business. If he really wants to nip it in the butt, pay them large, and let them know that the UFC won't count the loss as a strike against them should they loose. He should also give guys a heads up and let them know that if an injury happens in a match that they will be called upon, giving the replacement fighter the option to study and train for potential opponents, and pay them some amount to stay in shape. I think it would not only have more fighters willing to accept a fight on short notice but would make the fight more competitive as well since they would be better prepared. He can't fault a fighter otherwise. If a guy chooses to step up great. But if not he shouldn't look down on them any less when they are risking their health and well being. Phone Post
11/20/12 1:51 AM
SinCityHustler

I prefer short notice fights, myself.  You're a fighter, lets see what you've got.  Stay in shape, be ready to go, and when you get called, put on the best performance you can.  Like in a tournaemnt, except with out the multiple fights in one night.  We'll find out who the best fighters are not necessarily the ones who can out tactic the others and avoid the fight altogether and instead win a point contest.  I agree that the loss policy should be amended.  Be clear on what the parameters are and If you are not UFC caliber you shouldn't be there anyways so short notice fight or not, you're going to lose and you are going to end up at the level where you belong.  It's Dana White's company, he can set the expectations how ever he sees fit.  

11/20/12 1:53 AM
catbath
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish one of these reporters would actually confront Dana with facts when he makes statements like this one. Plenty of guys who took short notice fights had it bite them on the ass.

Same goes for Dana's constant promises that certain fights will result in #1 contender status. It's not only shitty to rescind that promise to fighters, but it's also false advertising when that's used to incentivize purchasing a card. Phone Post
11/20/12 1:54 AM
The Cooler

"It's Dana White's company, he can set the expectations how ever he sees fit."

Not if he wants to call it a legitimate sport instead of entertainment.
11/20/12 2:02 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Cooler - "It's Dana White's company, he can set the expectations how ever he sees fit."

Sports are entertainment, and the most popular one in America has a commissioner that controls everything. Look up the suspension of Jonathan Vilma. Phone Post
11/20/12 2:05 AM
RandyDarsh
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If you don't take this short notice fight I will go directly to the media, then tell them you turned it down and insinuate it was because you were afraid.... So what? You either a fighter or your not!"
-Dana white Phone Post
11/20/12 2:08 AM
UGCTT_BlahBreh
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

always got guys like McCall on ur roster ready to fight and put on a show.. there was a huge petition to get em a fight by the end of the year but guess it didnt work, if anyone gets hurt on the brazil card im sure he would be one happy camper to jump on that card.
11/20/12 2:10 AM
UGCTT_BlahBreh
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RandyDarsh -  "If you don't take this short notice fight I will go directly to the media, then tell them you turned it down and insinuate it was because you were afraid.... So what? You either a fighter or your not!"
-Dana white Phone Post

Dana is right, your job is to be ready in case you get the phone call to step up.

Throw McCall Vs. Da Silva 2 on the brazil card! Ians always in shape
11/20/12 2:10 AM
The Cooler

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
The Cooler - "It's Dana White's company, he can set the expectations how ever he sees fit."

Sports are entertainment, and the most popular one in America has a commissioner that controls everything. Look up the suspension of Jonathan Vilma. Phone Post

Let me know when a team is suspended for not putting on a crowd pleasing performance. Let me know when the commissioner personally insults one of the players.

And ignoring all that...the NFL is a poor comparison.

The team contracts with the player...not the commission. The commission can discipline a player, but they're not the player's immediate boss.

Furthermore, his suspension was due to the alleged violation of common sense rules...not because he wasn't exciting.

And finally...let me know when a team turns down a game. They won't...because there is a long established and very stable framework for becoming the champs. They get a schedule at the start of the season...nobody calls the team 3 weeks before the game and asks them to play.
11/20/12 2:13 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 11/20/12 10:47 AM

Hares brought a three-fight octagon win streak (and 10 consecutive wins overall) with him to the octagon at UFC 123. 

11/20/12 2:15 AM
ABE FROMAN

11/20/12 2:19 AM
time traveling 12er
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys talking about fighters getting cut after stepping up are looking at it the wrong way. You're looking at is as if their options are to take a fight on short notice, or wait for a better fight. But those fighters generally don't have that luxury and they're usually not in the position to pick and choose. The chance to step up may be the only alternative to getting cut in the near future without another fight.

Think about it like this, the guys on the fringe are like deep bench players in basketball or the NFL or whatever. The coach comes in and says "crap we got an injury! this is your chance... get in there!" Instead of running in there, the deep bench guy says "damn, I haven't stretched yet coach, also this team is a bad match up for me." and sits back down. Guess what? When that better opportunity comes up, you think the coach is going to think of you first? No, because you already probably got cut while waiting for a better opportunity. That's how dumb it is to turn down a fight if you're on the fringe or have a losing streak going.

Fighters have gotten spoiled by the recent success of the sport. Back when orgs could fold overnight everyone had to take whatever they could take because next week the whole thing could be gone. Now that the UFC has created some security they feel safe enough to pick an choose. I'm guessing anyone who wasn't already on the border of being cut is going to lose their job over losing a fight where they stepped up on short notice.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.