UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White fed up with fighters turning down bouts

11/21/12 11:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ajl416az
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

all the people who think you don't stand to gain anything by stepping up late notice need to seriously look at Patrick Cote's career
11/21/12 1:51 PM
Nate 'Rock' Quarry
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a fighter I never said no to any fight put in front of me, as long as I had a full training camp and time to train. It seems to me that Dana is complaining about fighters not taking last minute fights.
What's the worst that could happen?
Well, you lose half of your years income because you're not in shape and you lose the fight. Your opponent has been training for 3 solid months, peaking at just the right day to be an explosive warrior that can go for a full 15 minutes. What's the saying? "Lack of conditioning makes cowards of us all." Something like that.
So you lose a fight you might have won. You lose half your income, sponsors dry up, your next fight your on the undercard, so you lose half of your sponsorship money as well.
Then there's the injury factor. We fighters becoming better strikers we're seeing more and more six month suspensions. That's as soon as a bone breaks. Six months off. Then you add in another 3 month training camp, you don't work for 9 months. We're now seeing more and more orbital floor fractures, an elbow landing from on top. Or even in the case of Big Nog, his arm was broken. That was 9 months off there.
A fighter's job is to fight. Oh yeah, and win. Well, if you want to be successful and fight a long time. As I say over and over, you're not defending your village from marauders. This isn't someone breaking into your house in the middle of the night. This is a SPORTING event. As soon as money is involved and people are building their future off of it, they need to do what is in their best interest.
The UFC is a promotion. Their job is to make money. If they don't make money they go out of business.
Someone gave me some advice recently I wish I would have gotten years ago. "Their job is to make money. Your job is to not be stupid." If you don't remember that you will have a very short career and you will be very broke at the end of it.
11/21/12 1:55 PM
MoBeffah
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nate 'Rock' Quarry - As a fighter I never said no to any fight put in front of me, as long as I had a full training camp and time to train. It seems to me that Dana is complaining about fighters not taking last minute fights.
Well, you lose half of your years income because you're not in shape and you lose the fight. Your opponent has been training for 3 solid months, peaking at just the right day to be an explosive warrior that can go for a full 15 minutes. What's the saying? "Lack of conditioning makes cowards of us all." Something like that.
So you lose a fight you might have won. You lose half your income, sponsors dry up, your next fight your on the undercard, so you lose half of your sponsorship money as well.
Then there's the injury factor. We fighters becoming better strikers we're seeing more and more six month suspensions. That's as soon as a bone breaks. Six months off. Then you add in another 3 month training camp, you don't work for 9 months. We're now seeing more and more orbital floor fractures, an elbow landing from on top. Or even in the case of Big Nog, his arm was broken. That was 9 months off there.
A fighter's job is to fight. Oh yeah, and win. Well, if you want to be successful and fight a long time. As I say over and over, you're not defending your village from marauders. This isn't someone breaking into your house in the middle of the night. This is a SPORTING event. As soon as money is involved and people are building their future off of it, they need to do what is in their best interest.
The UFC is a promotion. Their job is to make money. If they don't make money they go out of business.
Someone gave me some advice recently I wish I would have gotten years ago. "Their job is to make money. Your job is to not be stupid." If you don't remember that you will have a very short career and you will be very broke at the end of it.
Very well put. Phone Post
11/21/12 2:15 PM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice to get an inside prespective on this. 

11/21/12 5:09 PM
Bentleysuper8

Nate 'Rock' Quarry - As a fighter I never said no to any fight put in front of me, as long as I had a full training camp and time to train. It seems to me that Dana is complaining about fighters not taking last minute fights.

For a guy who has been on this forum since 02, why in hell do you not have a green name?

And also well put. As a douche bag promoter once told me (in defense of him taking advantage of fighters), "everyone negotiates their own fate".
11/21/12 8:05 PM
time traveling 12er
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nate 'Rock' Quarry - As a fighter I never said no to any fight put in front of me, as long as I had a full training camp and time to train. It seems to me that Dana is complaining about fighters not taking last minute fights.

Except that there is no fight "you might have won". You're talking about a hypothetical fight you may never get offered. In most cases you've received that fight offer because of those specific circumstances. As has been shown recently, if you say no there's no guarantee that the same fight will be offered to you. This is particularly true for guys that are taking a step up in competition. Opportunities in life are fleeting. Life is full of risk. It's natural to want every advantage possible. (Probably why so many do PED's.) If it makes sense to turn down a fight and you think you have to do it, then you do it. At the same time you can't expect there not to be consequences to doing that. If you take the fight on short notice you get a paycheck you weren't expecting and if you win you get a bump up the ranks that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. It's not all negatives like people are trying to make it out to be. These days all people want to do is see the negative and dictate their careers by fear.
11/21/12 8:06 PM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

didnt read the whole thing

guys can't take fights on short notice because they are cycling PEDS

11/21/12 8:15 PM
Ludelow

dc1000 - didnt read the whole thing

i got VTFD's for that
11/21/12 8:25 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

WWETopTeam - I'm fed up with Promoters Offering Short Notice Fights To Fighters.... Stacking the Deck in Favor of Whoever it is they would like to promote.

Thank You For Sharing your Opinion on this Subject Matter.....it is Great To Hear Different Thought on the Topic.

11/21/12 8:27 PM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ludelow - 
dc1000 - didnt read the whole thing

i got VTFD's for that

well, apparently so have I

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.