UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Run a marathon before?

11/23/12 6:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pessimist_Pete
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm trying to stick to a 9:45 pace for 18 miles, then work down to 9:00 for the last 6.2. It's weird but I feel better when I run faster as I approach the "wall" Phone Post
11/23/12 8:29 PM
Rick_Cain
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ran my 10k yesterday at 49:30. Started in the 8-9min corral and had to weave and dodge people the entire race. Was okay at first as I planned on starting slow but I looked like Barry Sanders the entire 2nd half of the race as I was passing and dodging everyone. The race was about 25 thousand people so it was pretty fun. Phone Post
11/23/12 8:50 PM
glass neck
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/24/12 7:38 AM
adventure runner

thanks for the compliment

i am segueing to running after my bjj injuries have racked up

no worries for my ego though

my brother in law is a legitimate national class marathoner

has won large regionals

i would love to pick up advice from him but he is literally so shy he wont make eye contact and speak with me more than a few words

he has no idea i am his fanboy and keep track of all his races hahaha
11/23/12 9:44 PM
Rick_Cain
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For you guys that have ram full marathons in the past, what was your training schedule like? Did you follow a typical 16-20 week program? Or did you just get out there and wing it? Phone Post
11/24/12 2:02 AM
blaznbison24
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not to be hating, but to be a national class runner, you need to run a heck of a lot faster than 5:44 pace for a half marathon. That's not even national class for a woman.

To be at a pro level for 5 miles, you need to be well under 4:30 a mile. I know guys running 5:00 mile pace for the marathon and they struggle to get buy on prize money alone. There's not much money to be made in distance running.

glass neck, it sounds like you are making great strides. keep up the training, run at least five days a week and you'll be under 20 for the 5k in no time.
11/24/12 8:36 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blaznbison24 - Not to be hating, but to be a national class runner, you need to run a heck of a lot faster than 5:44 pace for a half marathon. That's not even national class for a woman.

To be at a pro level for 5 miles, you need to be well under 4:30 a mile. I know guys running 5:00 mile pace for the marathon and they struggle to get buy on prize money alone. There's not much money to be made in distance running.

glass neck, it sounds like you are making great strides. keep up the training, run at least five days a week and you'll be under 20 for the 5k in no time.

Like you said, I'm not hating, but I think you're over-exaggerating a bit, and your times are way off. A 5:00/mile in a marathon MORE than enough to win plenty of marathons in the US, and that time automatically qualifies you for the US Olympic trials as a marathon runner with the USOC paying all your expenses to get to the trials (sub 2:15 time).

I just took a random guess at places that'd be top. These are my first three guesses. With a 5:00/mile, you'd win:

Salt Lake by almost 15 minutes - $5,000 in prize: http://resultsarchive.active.com/pages/searchform.jsp?rsID=126749

LA - $20,000 in prize money + a new car + a potential extra $100,000: http://resultsarchive.active.com/pages/searchform.jsp?rsID=124848

Philadelpha - $10,000 in prize money - win by 6 minutes!: http://resultsarchive.active.com/pages/searchform.jsp?rsID=137367

Hell, that time would have won $150,000 at Boston this past year (although it was hot, so that probably couldn't have been sustained). Still that's enough to come close to finishing in the money at the world-class Boston Marathon most years and at least top 25 who are all sponsored racers. My buddy averages a little under 6:00 and finishes top 75 at Boston regularly. He just won $15,000 last weekend at a race in New Jersey.
11/24/12 8:40 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/24/12 8:49 AM
I mean which of these top 4 people are the "GUYS" you know?http://www.usatf.org/events/2012/OlympicTrials-Marathon/entry/entryMen/eligible.asp

These are the best marathoners in the United States and only 4 had performances exceeding 5:00 miles this year. Running time threads on this forum are worse than salary threads on the OG and bench press threads on a bodybuilding site.
11/24/12 9:35 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't train properly and suffered. The first half was easy.
11/24/12 12:59 PM
blaznbison24
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/24/12 1:21 PM
Cabada has run 2:11 and earlier in the year retired from running because he struggled to make ends meet and he moved to ND to work in the oil fields. He's now back running and trying to make it again.

Jason Hartmann was about to retire from the sport after the Trials but ran really well at Boston this year, which helped a lot financially.

The only guys on that list who make a decent salary are Meb, Ritz and Ryan Hall. Abdi wasn't making much, until his 3rd place performance at the Trials, which gave a nice bonus. Nearly all of the other guys on that list you gave are making well under $30,000 a year from running alone.

Which race did your buddy win $15,000 in? A race giving that much money is going to have sub 2:10 guys entered.

Philadelphia gives $3,500 to the winner, not $10,000. Boston was INSANELY hot this year. There were a dozen sub 2:07 guys entered, and several guys entered at 2:05 or faster. If you could run 2:11 in those conditions, you could easily run under 2:05 on a fast course, under favorable conditions.

Where are you seeing that the winners of SLC get $5,000? It was $3,000 in 2010 and good runners ran away from there because Devine Racing wasn't giving them their prize checks.

The LA Marathon was won in 2:06 last year, and there were two 2:07 or faster marathoners entered this year but it was warm this year. If you can run 2:11-2:12 in ideal conditions, it doesn't mean you will do it under any conditions.
11/24/12 3:28 PM
Adventure Runner

blaznbison24 - Cabada has run 2:11 and earlier in the year retired from running because he struggled to make ends meet and he moved to ND to work in the oil fields. He's now back running and trying to make it again.

Jason Hartmann was about to retire from the sport after the Trials but ran really well at Boston this year, which helped a lot financially.

The only guys on that list who make a decent salary are Meb, Ritz and Ryan Hall. Abdi wasn't making much, until his 3rd place performance at the Trials, which gave a nice bonus. Nearly all of the other guys on that list you gave are making well under $30,000 a year from running alone.

Which race did your buddy win $15,000 in? A race giving that much money is going to have sub 2:10 guys entered.

Philadelphia gives $3,500 to the winner, not $10,000. Boston was INSANELY hot this year. There were a dozen sub 2:07 guys entered, and several guys entered at 2:05 or faster. If you could run 2:11 in those conditions, you could easily run under 2:05 on a fast course, under favorable conditions.

Where are you seeing that the winners of SLC get $5,000? It was $3,000 in 2010 and good runners ran away from there because Devine Racing wasn't giving them their prize checks.

The LA Marathon was won in 2:06 last year, and there were two 2:07 or faster marathoners entered this year but it was warm this year. If you can run 2:11-2:12 in ideal conditions, it doesn't mean you will do it under any conditions.

In order:

Cabada's best marathon ever was earlier this year and was still a shade over 5:00/miles. Prior to that he was generally finishing 2:15-2:30 despite his strong debut in Japan.

Hartman... Again a guy with a PR of a shade over 5:00. Are these the guys you know that struggle to make ends meet that run 5:00 miles? You mean runners who's PR still isn't 5:00? You definitely made it sound like you know guys who regularly run 5:00. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Please post your source for their running and endorsement salaries. Thanks.

My friend won World's Toughest Mudder. An ultra event, but he's a marathon dude. He ran it because the talent pool is generally small. The winner of Spartan Races titles which comes to probably around $30,000 in prize money is also a Marathoner, Hobie Call, who has finished sub 2:15 in a marathon.

Then the news in Philly and SLC have the prize money wrong. I stated Boston was hot.

So the results page for the 2012 LA Marathon is wrong or do you mean 2011? Winner was 2:12:+: http://resultsarchive.active.com/pages/searchform.jsp?rsID=124848

But yes. Obviously runners who ran a 2:11 once in their life when everything came together for them won't run a 2:11 in less than ideal conditions. Again, you made it sound like dudes running regular 5:00 would struggle to make ends meet. That is simply not the case.
11/24/12 3:57 PM
blaznbison24

Cabada struggled for a bit in the marathon after Fukoka but he also won some Nationals titles on the road and even set an American record. Again, he had trouble making ends meet.

I don't know why you don't believe there isn't money in distance running. It's even worse for events under the marathon. I had a friend finish third in the D1 1500m Nationals, was 11th at XC Nationals and a threat for the Olympic Team, but was only on $10,000 a year after he graduated. Another guy was the top miler in the United States for a few years but only got $30,000 a year from Nike (not much money when you live in California). Both of those numbers are straight from their mouths. On the track, you can finish 2nd or 3rd in a Diamond League meet and only go home with a couple thousand bucks.

Hobie Call is a nut bag who ran his marathon PR on a drastically downhill course. It wasn't sub 2:15 but was 2:16:39. On a legit course, he hasn't really done anything impressive. https://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/hobie-call-would-be-sub-200-marathoner

And yes, I meant the 2011 winner was 2:06 at LA. Again, it was hot and sunny this past year, which is why the times were slow. And as mentioned, a 2:06 and 2:07 guy were in that race. In 2009 and 2010, it was won by the winner of this year's Boston, Wesley Korir.

If you look on Philly's site, the prize money is open for plain view. I'm not sure what news source would make up numbers.

I don't know what your agenda is. I'm only stating there's not much money in distance running. There are only a handful of US marathoners that run only. The 2:15-2:20 marathoners are usually also working full time jobs and the 2:12-2:15 guys are also working part time on the side, but struggling financially. I feel like I have a legit shot at running 2:15 but have two jobs and have only won more than $500 in a race a few times.
11/24/12 8:02 PM
glass neck
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fyi

i edited out some of the info from my post regarding bro-in-law because i am paranoid it could affect my anonymity

anyway

a 5:44 pace at 41 y.o would have gotten him 7th place at this years uastf master championship

http://www.usatf.org/events/2012/USAMastersHalfMarathonChampionships/results.asp

and i dont think thats his PR and the quoted time was on a notoriously hilly course

i would call that "national class"

admittedly though, i know not much about running politics

11/24/12 10:34 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

glass neck - i ran a 5 mile race on thursday with several thousand people

they had designated areas at the start for estimated pace

i made sure to line up where i thought i should be at

wow, this was my first experience with how jerky people can be in this venue. spent the first mile dipping and dodging around baby strollers, 12 min milers and walkers.

the race expressly asked jogging strollers to line up at 9mins and slower

i was in the 7min que and heard people right next to me joking about how they would be lucky to run 10 or 11

also, didnt realize that the race was ranked on clock and not chip time. had a >1min difference in mine.

after reading, seems like it is a big controversy among runners; clock vs chip time

anyway

had fun, managed 7:23 pace, still off my goal of 7

This is what bothers me about organized endurance events, they can be such a circus. More than once I've trained for a MTB race and then decided to just do the course the day before or after and compare times to the result. I know its not the same before there is no traffic, pressure and so on. I'm planning on doing IM tahoe 2014 and I don't know how I'm gonna deal with all that crap without going postal.
11/25/12 8:22 PM
blaznbison24

Your friend definitely sounds likes he's a good runner and strong age group performer. But running is pretty deep in the US, even on the Masters level. Not many guys go to the USATF Masters Championships, as you can see a 1:27 was competitive. There was a 40 year old who recently ran under 65 for the half marathon. That same guy also broke 14 minutes for 5k and 29 minutes for 10k at 40. Other than that, there are probably 100+ US master's runners who can run under 1:10 in the half marathon.

Just in my city, there is a 40 year old woman who ran a 4:15 for 1500m (about a 4:35 mile) and she also runs 1:17 in the half. A few years ago, a 41 year old woman ran a 2:28 marathon.
11/26/12 4:10 PM
Bobsdf
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rick_Cain -  For you guys that have ram full marathons in the past, what was your training schedule like? Did you follow a typical 16-20 week program? Or did you just get out there and wing it? Phone Post

I used one of the intermediate programs @ Halhigdon.com It'd be a pretty typical program, as far as I can tell. I can't imagine just wingin it. That'd be a recipe for a lot of discomfort (in my case at least.)
11/26/12 4:48 PM
Rick_Cain

Bobsdf -
Rick_Cain -  For you guys that have ram full marathons in the past, what was your training schedule like? Did you follow a typical 16-20 week program? Or did you just get out there and wing it? Phone Post

I used one of the intermediate programs @ Halhigdon.com It'd be a pretty typical program, as far as I can tell. I can't imagine just wingin it. That'd be a recipe for a lot of discomfort (in my case at least.)
Thanks! Yeah it looks like most the programs I've seen are pretty similar. I'm probably ahead if schedule from where most programs start so in not to worried about it. I ran 10 miles yesterday and the race is not until middle of June. I need to do some hill work though which is the part that I'm mostly worried about as the San Francisco marathon is pretty hilly. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.