UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Zahabi: Silva should drop to 170 for GSP

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
11/19/12 11:31 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Scheduling the bout isn't as easy as it sounds however. In the years that this fight has been discussed the fighters' weight has been the biggest source of contention. Today on The MMA Hour GSP's trainer Firas Zahabi gave his opinion:

"I wouldn't want [St-Pierre] to move up, I'd want Anderson to come down," Zahabi said. "I don't know if Anderson can make 170 or something close to that. If Georges goes up, I know he won't be able to come back down, he's told me many times if he goes up he won't go back down, and I believe him when he says that because he'd want to spend some serious time getting extra size on him. and, ... I would want [Silva] to come down as close to 170 as possible if that was the case.

read entire article...

11/19/12 11:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SugaFoot
918 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/19/12 11:37 PM

177.5 lbs is the most fair. I don't think Anderson can cut down to 170.

Btw He said that Anderson should get as close to 170 pounds lbs as he can - which is fair.

11/19/12 11:36 PM
Fedors Jim Jams
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SugaFoot - 

177.5 lbs is the most fair. I don't think Anderson can cut down to 170

then that's his problem. gps hasn't fought above 170 at all. anderson should call out guys his own size.
11/19/12 11:37 PM
UGCTT_nightkap
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt he could make ww at this point Phone Post
11/19/12 11:38 PM
kid chaos
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Think gsp is being pressured into a fight he doesn't want. He knows he can't beat Anderson.

Same can be said for why Anderson won't fight bones, don't buy the "friends" bullshit. Anderson knows there is a good chance he will lose. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:39 PM
SugaFoot
918 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedors Jim Jams - 
SugaFoot - 

177.5 lbs is the most fair. I don't think Anderson can cut down to 170

then that's his problem. gps hasn't fought above 170 at all. anderson should call out guys his own size.

Are you implying that Anderson is looking for an easy fight?

11/19/12 11:39 PM
Joe_Drogan420

How would GSP be at middleweight?

I'm so conflicted. I want to see GSP vs. Silva, but there's also relevant fights left for GSP at WW.
11/19/12 11:40 PM
SugaFoot

kid chaos -  Think gsp is being pressured into a fight he doesn't want. He knows he can't beat Anderson.

Same can be said for why Anderson won't fight bones, don't buy the "friends" bullshit. Anderson knows there is a good chance he will lose. Phone Post

Anderson would fight Jones, don't let his modesty fool you.

11/19/12 11:40 PM
semtex0809
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree let Silva worm for it plus there's more fights left for gsp @ WW Anderson should defend his tittle then worry about GSP Phone Post
11/19/12 11:43 PM
KevinMcAllister
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/19/12 11:43 PM

11/19/12 11:46 PM
PR
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was more for GSP-Silva before GSP got hurt. But after being off 18 months, the WW div has filled back up, GSP needs to clean house once again.

It's Silva who has no real contenders left that needs to move up.
11/19/12 11:48 PM
Shogun121
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish anderson would just fight jones, this is going to be a soap opera to set up gsp vs anderson.
11/19/12 11:54 PM
Samoa
560 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a huge Silva fan but this shit is ridiculous. I don't want to see a fight where one guy doesn't want to fight the other guy.

At this point I wish Jones would start a pressure campaign with Dana to try to force Anderson into a fight. Phone Post
11/19/12 11:55 PM
Joe_Drogan420

Samoa -  I'm a huge Silva fan but this shit is ridiculous. I don't want to see a fight where one guy doesn't want to fight the other guy.

At this point I wish Jones would start a pressure campaign with Dana to try to force Anderson into a fight. Phone Post

I bet Jones is loving this.
Sitting back, waiting to face Chael in April.
Must be nice.
11/19/12 11:59 PM
orcus

Why do they keep insisting on this charade where GSP has to "move up" to meet Anderson? 

Do the fight at 180, GSP comes in at 188 just like he did this weekend, but with an easier cut. Anderson comes in 5lb less than usual, so 193. Now there is a 5lb difference between them -- just like between GSP and many of his WW opponents no doubt -- and Anderson is smaller and weaker than normal. Shouldn't this be acceptable?

But seriously, they obviously just don't want the fight. Why don't they just say so? Anderson and Jones had no problems saying they didn't want to fight each other. Anderson has no problem saying which fights he doesn't want. Why don't Firaz and GSP drop the constant "we need to talk it over", "we need to think about it", "we need to do it the right way" stuff and just say "we're not interested in the fight at all, if he wants to come to 170 and fight for the title he's welcome to go for it."

11/20/12 12:01 AM
KevinMcAllister
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/20/12 12:01 AM

Bones, Anderson and GSP. Who is who?

I wanna say Bones is "The Bad" due to him being the most disliked of the three. Anderson as Clint due to being stuck between the two, and GSP is "The Ugly" because....Carlos uglied him up a little?

Surely somebody can come up with a better fit.

11/20/12 12:15 AM
crumbs
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

175 isnt unreasonable to ask of Silva, the shape of his body is very BJ Penn like, but stretched to 6'2. but homie gets unlimited whoppers, who cares about muscle definition when you get whoppers. switch to BK veggies burgers and meet at 175.
11/20/12 12:25 AM
JediJitsu
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope GSP turns this down and just takes on the contenders in his division. Hendricks and Diaz are a good start. Silva only wants to fight once per year, and he has two fights left on his current contract. Silva vs. GSP would tie the Middleweight belt up for the next year and a half (if the fight were to take place in may). There are good contenders in each division that deserve shots at the belt, its not fair to them to be sidelined because of a superfight. If Silva only wants to fight once per year, it should be to Middleweight title contenders. If not, as crazy as it sounds, he should relinquish his belt and simply fight the big fights he chooses for legacy. Dana does not realize how many negatives will come from this one positive. All he is thinking about is making record money, filling Cowboys stadium, and making history. I think this is forcing mma to the next level, and it doesnt need to be forced. GSP, Silva and Jones are all warriors and among the best ever, so whatever comes of this, I hope that true fans continue to give them the respect they deserve. 

11/20/12 12:27 AM
JediJitsu
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kid chaos -  Think gsp is being pressured into a fight he doesn't want. He knows he can't beat Anderson.

QFT and VU

11/20/12 12:28 AM
KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP doesn't want the fight. Why force him? Have Silva fight a middleweight and shut the fuck up about this nonsense unless he is dropping down to 170. Phone Post
11/20/12 12:35 AM
JediJitsu

KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist -  GSP doesn't want the fight. Why force him? Have Silva fight a middleweight and shut the fuck up about this nonsense unless he is dropping down to 170. Phone Post

Agreed. 

I wish they would stop trying to force this fight down GSP's throat. The Andy cam during his fight, Rogan asking him about Silva in the post fight interview (after a hard fought war), and then Dana giving him two weeks to "decide" on what he wants to do (we all know GSP would be smeared hard by Dana if he turned it down), and Fox already trying to promote ("Are you ready for a superfight"), even the Anderson segment at the end of Primetime, its all extremely disrespectulf to GSP, and its a damn shame he has to deal with it the way its going down. He's one of the best ever, he's humble, respectful, honorable and probably the best role model in the business. He should be respected and honored by the UFC, not treated like a fucking pawn. 

11/20/12 12:38 AM
Fedors Jim Jams

orcus - 

Why do they keep insisting on this charade where GSP has to "move up" to meet Anderson? 

Do the fight at 180, GSP comes in at 188 just like he did this weekend, but with an easier cut. Anderson comes in 5lb less than usual, so 193. Now there is a 5lb difference between them -- just like between GSP and many of his WW opponents no doubt -- and Anderson is smaller and weaker than normal. Shouldn't this be acceptable?

But seriously, they obviously just don't want the fight. Why don't they just say so? Anderson and Jones had no problems saying they didn't want to fight each other. Anderson has no problem saying which fights he doesn't want. Why don't Firaz and GSP drop the constant "we need to talk it over", "we need to think about it", "we need to do it the right way" stuff and just say "we're not interested in the fight at all, if he wants to come to 170 and fight for the title he's welcome to go for it."

you are a fanboy

gsp fighting anyone past 170 means he is moving up.

get anderson silva's pubic hair out of your face and get a better perspective on mma and its weight classes.
11/20/12 12:45 AM
Joe_Drogan420

Anderson's unwillingness to face MW challengers is a little baffling.

There's definitely a part of me that still want to see Silva vs GSP though. When do you get to see two guys of that caliber in the octagon together?
11/20/12 1:10 AM
orcus

Fedors Jim Jams - 
orcus - 

you are a fanboy

gsp fighting anyone past 170 means he is moving up.

get anderson silva's pubic hair out of your face and get a better perspective on mma and its weight classes.

Do you mean anyone heavier than 170? Because he's fought many of those. According to him, guys who are as heavy as Anderson was in his 205 fight.

Weight classes are a tool to ensure fighters are within a certain weight range of one another on fight night. That's it. 

What fucking difference does it make if GSP fights a guy who is 195 in the ring at 170 or a guy who is 195 in the ring for a catchweight fight?

11/20/12 1:12 AM
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Um GSP fights once in 18 months and his camp wants to start dictating where a fight with Silva who has fought what 3-4 times during that time will take place? No. 177.5 is more than fair.
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.